Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

House has been in the system a bit and is a bit sturdier than Zuthrie.

But, I guess my thoughts are with the dropping of Menzel, replacing him with Zuthrie. I know Parfitt was the one, but with a seriously underdone Hawkins, another forward would have helped.

To be honest, Sav is our best ruck. Go with him, put someone else CHF who can crash a pack.

Do we want to risk breaking Sav by playing him in the ruck regularly though?

We desperately need Taylor or Henderson back. Stewart, Tuohy and Blicavs are battling admirably but that's about where it ends. Kolo is better than people think. It's the 5th and 6th defenders where we really struggle. Time for options like Black as much as I don't like the idea of him playing defence.

Our defence is bottom 4 atm. Teams can score way too easily.
Our defence isn’t the issue they have done very well over the last few weeks

Our issue is the midfield and the lack of rotations as we always have a player out every ****ing game and far too many injuries at the club.

Couple that with some piss poor attitude from some of the senior players and voila you have a tired team full of kids who can’t physically stand up and carry the team yet.

The senior players need to be read the riot act, and even if we lose games this year I want some of them dropped .....starting with Stanley and Hawkins in the magoo for the whole ****ing year....pending trades or retirements

The fact is, despite people getting very hot for some of the kids the last few weeks, this side is just not a top-4 caliber side. It's not the side the club has been building to, and it's not one you can expect consistent performances from. A lot kids who may very well be talented, but it's a big ask to expect a four-quarter effort from and consistently good games when they're just in their first or second year and sub-50 games, and in some cases very raw to begin with (Sav). Supplement that with the same mediocre types who have failed to get any better for years and you don't really have a winning combination. Meanwhile, the defence is threadbare and the phenomenal, fantastic, greatest-of-all-time midfield doesn't have a competent ruck feeding them the ball, doesn't know how to defend and is frequently beaten around the stoppages.

Beyond anything else, if this is the team that will play out much of the 2018 season, then Geelong really won't make much traction this year because it's simply not good enough.

I don’t think our defence is the true problem. It’s further up the ground.......

Imo, our defence has done well in the face of regular bombardments.

Hendo could be out all year, so perhaps we’ll get Taylor back, at best, and I’d swap him for Tuohy.
Yep and half our defenders struggle to win a contest most times. Our defensive efficiency is horrid. I actually thought midfield pressure has improved.

Do we want to risk breaking Sav by playing him in the ruck regularly though?

Then who else? Stanley is woeful, and Sav does well at the centre clearance.

Smith??

It's ridiculous we have all these mid options, but extremely poor rucks that are barely serviceable

Our defence isn’t the issue they have done very well over the last few weeks

Our issue is the midfield and the lack of rotations as we always have a player out every ******* game and far too many injuries at the club.

Couple that with some piss poor attitude from some of the senior players and voila you have a tired team full of kids who can’t physically stand up and carry the team yet.

The senior players need to be read the riot act, and even if we lose games this year I want some of her dropped starting with Stanley and Hawkins in he magoo for the whole ******* year.
Outside of Stewart, Tuohy and Blicavs did one of our defenders do a hard spoil Or win a contest? Seriously there one on one ability is horrid.

Outside of Stewart, Tuohy and Blicavs did one of our defenders do a hard spoil Or win a contest? Seriously there one on one ability is horrid.
What choice do we have? So many injuries very little depth to allow bigger bodies down there.

Unless you want to try unproven players in the defence like Black there isn’t much that can be done.

Then who else? Stanley is woeful, and Sav does well at the centre clearance.

Smith??

It's ridiculous we have all these mid options, but extremely poor rucks that are barely serviceable

I agree with you. I honestly don’t know, but we simply shouldn’t, can’t, play Sav in the ruck too often.

We need him, unscathed, up front.

And yes, as I’ve posted elsewhere, the situation we’re in IS ridiculous, and a result of what we’ve sown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We desperately need Taylor or Henderson back. Stewart, Tuohy and Blicavs are battling admirably but that's about where it ends. Kolo is better than people think. It's the 5th and 6th defenders where we really struggle. Time for options like Black as much as I don't like the idea of him playing defence.

Our defence is bottom 4 atm. Teams can score way too easily.
Unfortunately Henderson won’t be back this year.

Well, the goal umpire called a point - so yes, it was a pretty terrible result. Of course there'll be no explanation for it.
All the ball wasn't over the line clear goal to Haywood.However I believe the initial inquiry was to see if it had come off Heeney's boot.

Love wells but even on the draft night I couldn’t work out why he got Thurlow instead of Grundy, that potentially cost us at least one flag imo

The club simply doesn’t seem to rate the ruck position, and is happy to concede it.

Thurlow’s kicking was crap today. That lead he missed in front of goal was simply woeful

What choice do we have? So many injuries very little depth to allow bigger bodies down there.

Unless you want to try unproven players in the defence like Black there isn’t much that can be done.
It doesn't change the fact our defence is horrid.

Throw Black in, throw a young mid or forward down back. Can't be any worse than the bruise free footy our little name defenders are serving up. Time to try anything.

The fact is, despite people getting very hot for some of the kids the last few weeks, this side is just not a top-4 caliber side. It's not the side the club has been building to, and it's not one you can expect consistent performances from. A lot kids who may very well be talented, but it's a big ask to expect a four-quarter effort from and consistently good games when they're just in their first or second year and sub-50 games, and in some cases very raw to begin with (Sav). Supplement that with the same mediocre types who have failed to get any better for years and you don't really have a winning combination. Meanwhile, the defence is threadbare and the phenomenal, fantastic, greatest-of-all-time midfield doesn't have a competent ruck feeding them the ball, doesn't know how to defend and is frequently beaten around the stoppages.

Beyond anything else, if this is the team that will play out much of the 2018 season, then Geelong really won't make much traction this year because it's simply not good enough.
Fortunately for us it won’t be, with Menzel, Taylor, Ablett, McCarthy, Parfitt and Selwood returning. (I don’t rate Guthrie or cocky).

We also don’t need to worry about seeing Murdoch in the hoops again, he’s done and dusted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back