Geelong must be allowed to play at Simonds

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll support Geelong playing finals in Geelong when they actually decide to play all 11 home games there.

Which will be never.

Kardinia Park as from 2017 will hold 36k and will increase in time to 40K with final stage. Therefore home final with expected crowd of 40K or less should be played at KP, however a crowd in excess should should be played at 'G'.

NOTE - Small crowds at 'G' have no atmosphere and should be avoided at all costs for a FINAL, hence Cats having home final with smaller crowd logical way to go, otherwise for bigger crowds the MCG is a 'must'.

For 100 year finals were played at neutral venues. Then, when the league expanded, interstate teams were eventually allowed to have finals in their home state where they finished higher.
Was there an official announcement that finals are now at home grounds? suburban and state league host most finals at neutral venues. As it should be (unless different states).
Geelong should play their finals at whatever venue in Victoria that will provide the largest crowd. Which, unless you are playing GWS, GC, Freo or Port in a elimination, or semi, is the MCG.

Bigger issues to whinge about aren't there? Let me know when interstate sides get to host the GF in their home state and then maybe I'll sympathise with you.

I'll support Geelong playing finals in Geelong when they actually decide to play all 11 home games there.

Which will be never.
Pretty sure it's never happened in 157 years.

Let's hope the bombers never get an Etihad final. They don't play all 11 there either......

Kardinia Park as from 2017 will hold 36k and will increase in time to 40K with final stage. Therefore home final with expected crowd of 40K or less should be played at KP, however a crowd in excess should should be played at 'G'.

NOTE - Small crowds at 'G' have no atmosphere and should be avoided at all costs for a FINAL, hence Cats having home final with smaller crowd logical way to go, otherwise for bigger crowds the MCG is a 'must'.

I completely agree with this.

Geelong should play finals at KP/SS against the following opponents: Brisbane, Freo, Gold Coast, GWS, North, Port and St Kilda.
You could argue that WC and Adelaide should play KP/SS as well, but i could see both of those clubs pulling enough to make the MCG worthwhile. I certainly wouldn't complain if those games were scheduled there.

Etihad based teams would never be allowed to host prelim finals at Etihad, they'd be hosted at the MCG, so I don't see why Geelong should be any different.

I completely agree with this.

Geelong should play finals at KP/SS against the following opponents: Brisbane, Freo, Gold Coast, GWS, North, Port and St Kilda.
You could argue that WC and Adelaide should play KP/SS as well, but i could see both of those clubs pulling enough to make the MCG worthwhile. I certainly wouldn't complain if those games were scheduled there.

No chance we'd play finals against the Cats at Kardinia Park, back in 2009/10 we were getting crowds to Geelong v St Kilda games in excess of 60k.

The Grand Final is played at the MCG, so I would think Geelong (and every other team for that matter) would want to play as many games there as possible.

I don't think Kardinia offers the Cats much advantage anyway (in finals) - as seen when they played a home final against Freo there.

Btw Sydney would have definitely still lost to GWS on the weekend had it been played at the SCG - I don't particularly like Ross Lyon but I liked his "anyone, anywhere, any time" mantra (which ultimately didnt include the Hawks at the MCG) :$ but seriously, I think if the Cats start public whingeing about being unable to play at Kardinia they are projecting weakness that needn't be invoked. They should be ecstatic with a prelim at the MCG against an interstate team.

I'm not fussed, i have no issue playing at the MCG. Geelong are a draw card and its supporter base in Melbourne has grown substantially in recent years. Geelong V Adelaide for example would see half the city of churches turn up here....60k plus for that game. Crows fans are nuts!

Why don't you have a look at the history of Geelong's Finals game locations, in addition to their win% at those locations. Have a think about what they might prefer (or whether they actually have any preference) and get back to us on that.

Fair point. But how about GWS play by the same rules and have their final at ANZ (largest ground attendance wise in NSW like the G is for Vic)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, I'm fine with Geelong playing finals at the g forever. And zero at Etihad.

But this focus on crowds has to stop.

Let's fast forward 100 years, there won't be a stadium in the country that can hold any crowd.
But I guess the argument will be 'look 220k want to go to the game by our figures. If we play it at kardinia park over the g then 60k miss out'.

Forget the other 120k that will also miss. It's just nuts. Lockouts is what makes sport great.
Tickets prized. And memories that last forever.
Totally agree mate..

I am wary of this. Letting Geelong play all its games in Geelong will create a monster. They will have all of the advantages of an interstate side regarding home ground advantage but have none of the disadvantages of travel.

Before I say anything I will say I want us playing as many finals at the G as possible. But the season? WHY should Geelong not be able to play in Geelong? We are a region based side and the oldest one in the comp (i think). Have a think please.

Seems everyone but Geelong fans cares about this issue.

I can see both sides. I want as many games at the G as possible. But the reason we play finals there is it is the biggest stadium in the state. And fair enough too. ANZ and the SCG are bigger stadiums than Spotless. Yet GWS will play their prelim at Spotless. That is a farcical double standard.

Out of interest, what percentage of Geelong members are Melbourne-based?
Not sure but not enough that it makes it worthwhile or rational in any way for us to play 'home' games against sides like yours, St Kilda, Essendon, North, Carlton and Richmond at the Docklands like we have over the years.

Playing all Sydney or GWS home finals at the SCG, dissuades any criticism of Geelong having to play at the MCG for their home finals. Just play all home finals at the biggest available venue in that state. Simple. It's a remarkably easy problem to solve if you look at it logically.

It does. But that's not what is going to happen. And that is why people are unhappy. Not just Cat fans either.

Oh yeah their fixture hasn't been soft enough and giving their prelim opponent only a six day break isn't soft enough, let's let them play at a quaint little rural pasture where they train as well.

I must admit I don't have any sympathy for Geelong on this matter.

There are two things in the fixture which clubs can benefit from.

1. A significant home ground advantage (9 clubs - the 8 non-vic clubs plus Geelong - benefit from this)
2. Minimal interstate travel (the 10 Victorian clubs benefit from this)

17 of the 18 clubs have either "1" or "2" but not both.

There is only one club in the AFL that benefits from both. Now that's partly good management from Geelong to keep their own home ground, but it is still a huge advantage year after year, every year for eternity.

The only way this advantage is neutralized is if the Cats play exactly as many "away travel" games as they do home games at Kardinia Park (that being 8)

Against interstate clubs - fine.

Against any other Victorian club - no way. Locking out 30-50k fans depending on the team isn't what finals are about.
Ah so finals area bout bums on seats and not winning games, phew good to know

Remove this Banner Ad

Back