Review Geelong Spifflocates the Shockers by 133 points @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the theory, but it's very, very rarely the reality. The concept that someone is tall = takes marks and kicks goals makes sense on paper, but just doesn't tend to work out at 1.5 goals/game.

Ottens could do it. David Hale could do it. At his absolute best, Steven King could do it. But very few ruckmen are naturally good forwards.
But like I said if they go down there it takes a player away from Hawkins as his always double tagged, which will help Hawkins as you wouldn't want to leave a 2mt giant by himself
Dannyreed This is why.

I’m amazed Henry has not been mentioned once in the Rising Star Race. It’s all about Stephenson, Ronke and Doedee! This kid has been a pivotal player all season in an undermanned defence then when needed has gone forward chipped in in the Ruck and has been super impressive. I might be biased but before the weekend he was $51 with TAB. That’s just ludicrous!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because he plays for Geelong.

I addressed this elsewhere, the live ladder screwed me as they had Hawthorn at 56 points- before the game had finished. I did take into account Melbourne with 2 games to play.

No probs I did not read through only replied to your quote that's where the confusing came

But like I said if they go down there it takes a player away from Hawkins as his always double tagged, which will help Hawkins as you wouldn't want to leave a 2mt giant by himself
Dannyreed This is why.
Why? There's no difference between leaving a 2m player by themselves and a 1.8m player by themselves, except that the 1.8m player is fleet-er of foot.

At the end of the day, players are respected because they are goal threats, not because they are tall.

I'm pretty happy with our i50s-to-goals ratio this year, to be honest. It's the stodgy ball movement further up the ground that has been the problem.

Dannyreed This is why.
I understand the theory I just don’t think we have the right player to do it. They need to still demand the ball and get to the right spots. From what I’ve seen from Abbott, Smith and Stanley I don’t think either of them demand the ball regularly enough to command attention away from tommy and the ruckmans opponent will drop off him first opportunity they get and hurt us.

Why? There's no difference between leaving a 2m player by themselves and a 1.8m player by themselves, except that the 1.8m player is fleet-er of foot.

At the end of the day, players are respected because they are goal threats, not because they are tall.

I'm pretty happy with our i50s-to-goals ratio this year, to be honest. It's the stodgy ball movement further up the ground that has been the problem.
If you see when we play the top sides they double tag Hawkins, but when you play the lower sides they don't. So when you play finals they are top sides so just watch when you do the finals on how many people will be on Hawkins

I understand the theory I just don’t think we have the right player to do it. They need to still demand the ball and get to the right spots. From what I’ve seen from Abbott, Smith and Stanley I don’t think either of them demand the ball regularly enough to command attention away from tommy and the ruckmans opponent will drop off him first opportunity they get and hurt us.

Let's agree to disagree

If you see when we play the top sides they double tag Hawkins, but when you play the lower sides they don't. So when you play finals they are top sides so just watch when you do the finals on how many people will be on Hawkins
The reason for that, though, is because their defensive structures are better and their positioning is far more disciplined. Good defences are able to keep their shape when their opponents push up the ground and away from the main goalscoring threat; it's got nothing to do with how tall their direct opponent is - much more to do with how spread out the forwards are.

The reason for that, though, is because their defensive structures are better and their positioning is far more disciplined. Good defences are able to keep their shape when their opponents push up the ground and away from the main goalscoring threat; it's got nothing to do with how tall their direct opponent is - much more to do with how spread out the forwards are.
So if we have 2 players that normally go on Hawkins . Do you think that player will leave a Abbott or Stanley which could be 20mt from Hawkins... . I don't think so..

Because he plays for Geelong.
No it's not - it's because, as good as he's been, he's nowhere near Stephenson, Doedee etc. That's not a knock on Henry, he's just being compared to a kid who has a bag of 5, a bag of 4 and a hatfull of threes in his debut year.

That's probably also what you'd expect, given how far apart they are in pedigree. Henry was late to footy, was off the rookie list last year and effectively was only thrown into the AFL because we had a massive defensive injury plague. Stephenson was a high draft pick with big wraps on him from day one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we have 2 players that normally go on Hawkins . Do you think that player will leave a Abbott or Stanley which could be 20mt from Hawkins... . I don't think so..
Of course they would, just as much as they would leave Parfitt or Henry. A player on their own is just as likely to mark a footy regardless of whether they are 2m tall or 1.8.

No it's not - it's because, as good as he's been, he's nowhere near Stephenson, Doedee etc. That's not a knock on Henry, he's just being compared to a kid who has a bag of 5, a bag of 4 and a hatfull of threes in his debut year.

That's probably also what you'd expect, given how far apart they are in pedigree. Henry was late to footy, was off the rookie list last year and effectively was only thrown into the AFL because we had a massive defensive injury plague. Stephenson was a high draft pick with big wraps on him from day one.

Yeah it’s a good point you make. And I dont necessarily think Henry should be the favourite or win the whole thing. I just think he hasn’t gotten the credit he deserves in the general media and think he’s been on the same level as doedee and ronke and should be slated for a top 5 finish. It doesn’t seem likely though considering they have not mentioned him in any of the media I’ve heard.

Murdoch is a better bottom 6 player than the kids (this year anyway) and especially at this time of year. He must stay unless Cockatoo or McCarthy have a sudden physical epiphany.

This is absolutely spot on. However I have no doubt that when Murdoch has his deer in the headlights moments in the finals I will be screaming at the TV and demanding he never plays for us again but at this time he is clearly more valuable than any of those young small forwards. So goes for Thurlow and the kids he is competing with. They aren't bona fide AFL players and Murdoch never will be but at the moment they are the best we have. I also like that we have Taylor back so that we can use Blitz as our second ruck. He looked good in there today

FFS PEOPLE

133 point win and I still need to remind people to leave the personal s**t out of it.

Un*******believable

So, here it is for the slow ones.

Next personal attack gets an all expenses paid visit to Bansville for a few weeks just to drive the point home.

Go Catters

Where's Bansville?

Tons of players at top 4 teams have worrying limitations. Its on the coach to make that work for us. He is quick, puts pressure on, can tackle and can kick goals. Would have offered significantly more than Parsons last week because he is not played to his limitations.

Richmond have players with big limitations. But build a gameplan that exploits what they do well and hides what they are s**t at, and look what you get.

Hell, take Mark Blake. Premiership ruckman because Thompson could exploit the good and hide the bad.
What a statement!!! That is just moronic Scott bashing. You are so right Thompson playing Blake in the ruck was genius coaching. Really built that game plan around Blake playing ruck. What magnificent insight that was to ruck Blake and not play him as a defensive wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back