Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love beating the Hawks but does it need the Easter Monday slot anymore?

Time to get them to the Cattery.
Round 17

Monday is the Hawks home game - I'd rather it be at the MCG on Easter Monday then be playing them in Tassie

After the revelations of this week, i wonder if Geelong's habit of late withdrawals will continue?

"Habit"?

Think you'll find that over recent seasons Geelong hasn't had as many late changes as other teams

Imagine how good Miers could be if he learned how to kick with his left foot, and after adding that skill, learned how to kick for goal over the man on the mark.

Except that we can see now how good Miers is becoming in front of our eyes

At 25 (his birthday is tomorrow 30/03), he's not going to suddenly change his kicking style and while kicking with his left is something he may be working on, he's not going to be the first player who doesn't have an opposite kicking foot

Trying to change aspects of ones game such at that, may actually work against the player rather than for them

Who cares? It's a marquee game that not so long ago was pencilled in for game of the year status.

It's only lost a bit of it's glamour recently because the Hawks are rubbish. When both clubs are up and about it's the best fixture of the year and deserves to be on its own day.

If they don't turn it around in another couple years you can probably raise the question, but they've earned that lee-way.

If anything, we need more fixtures like it to remind AFL house that it's 2024, and not 1995.

Nobody cares about Essendon in a primetime game anymore, and until very recently, there hadn't been a Collingwood/Carlton game with any stakes for over 20 years.
20 years? More like 40 isnt it.

Who cares? It's a marquee game that not so long ago was pencilled in for game of the year status.

It's only lost a bit of it's glamour recently because the Hawks are rubbish. When both clubs are up and about it's the best fixture of the year and deserves to be on its own day.

If they don't turn it around in another couple years you can probably raise the question, but they've earned that lee-way.
that's the test of a rivalry though - how does the game fare when one or both clubs is having a bad year?

It's one thing when the teams are pumping out classic after classic, it's another when it's 3rd vs 15th or whatever it is.

Gryan Miers in a nutshell.

2023-24.

20+ disposals - 9W3L
<20 disposals - 3W9L
<15 disposals - 1W4L
There is a bit of chicken and egg - he plays forward of the ball, so if he sees more of it, it's because we're doing well. Mind you, if we are going forward, that's the guy whose hands I want the ball in.

Come join us in the lovely USA. We work Good Friday and there is no such thing as Easter Monday, so we work then also. So no games in the arvo. What a country!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And, in many jobs, two weeks leave per year.
Not sick leave. Not annual leave. Just leave.

* me, what a crazy place.

Are we talking about Finlayson?

Anyway, it's not really Champion Data's fault that he doesn't fit into any easy categories. He is a seriously good footballer.

We are talking about Finlayson. During about a 12 week period in 2022.

It goes back to how you define what a ruckmen is. If a ruckman is the nominated player who can contest the ball after the umpire restarts play but before the ball hits the ground. And a number 1 ruckman the ruckmen who attends the most ruck contests during the game. The Finlayson for those particular games was a number 1 ruckman to be compared to other number 1 ruckmen regardless of how unconventional he was while filling the role.

Except that we can see now how good Miers is becoming in front of our eyes

At 25 (his birthday is tomorrow 30/03), he's not going to suddenly change his kicking style and while kicking with his left is something he may be working on, he's not going to be the first player who doesn't have an opposite kicking foot

Trying to change aspects of ones game such at that, may actually work against the player rather than for them
I find it fascinating that often really ‘smart’ creative players ( let’s not disagree that Miers is one of these) are chronically one sided. You would think that opposite side kicking would be something that they would have worked on early in their career.

It goes back to how you define what a ruckmen is. If a ruckman is the nominated player who can contest the ball after the umpire restarts play but before the ball hits the ground. And a number 1 ruckman the ruckmen who attends the most ruck contests during the game. The Finlayson for those particular games was a number 1 ruckman to be compared to other number 1 ruckmen regardless of how unconventional he was while filling the role.
Basically doing what Cam Mooney did in 2005.

End of the day, Champion Data usually gets more right than wrong and it's certainly a lot better for the modern game than the old metrics of disposals, marks, tackles and goals (which only works as a metric when all teams play the same way).

Thanks for the reminder. Blondie was here on Long Island today blaming his opponent for that horrific NYPD fatality. Once upon a time it was taboo to politicize that.

Sent using Tapatalk
It's horrific. Both the bridge and your system. Both preventable though. You need ranked choice voting and it's an emergency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it fascinating that often really ‘smart’ creative players ( let’s not disagree that Miers is one of these) are chronically one sided. You would think that opposite side kicking would be something that they would have worked on early in their career.
In fairness, I don't see Miers really getting caught out when trying to get on his right foot all that often.

I'd suggest that it could also be that because Miers isn't an "inside" player at AFL level, he hasn't had to develop a left foot kick in the same way that Ablett, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Buddha and Chapman did (the players who I'd consider to be the best "wrong foot" kicks at the club). Because most of his touches are in receiving the ball between the wing and about 40m from goal, he usually has enough space and awareness to get onto the right.

It's horrific. Both the bridge and your system. Both preventable though. You need ranked choice voting and it's an emergency
Yes to what you say about the system, massive yes to what you say about preference voting - but the bridge isn't quite so easy to fix, because it's such a ridiculously long span and hence a truss system is not considered an unreasonable solution.

Yes to what you say about the system, massive yes to what you say about preference voting - but the bridge isn't quite so easy to fix, because it's such a ridiculously long span and hence a truss system is not considered an unreasonable solution.
I don't think there was anything wrong with the bridge. I would like to see more on the boat and back up power systems

Come join us in the lovely USA. We work Good Friday and there is no such thing as Easter Monday, so we work then also. So no games in the arvo. What a country!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With you man, it's the same here except we're a couple hours ahead of Aus. Nearly impossible to watch weekday games. Too bad they couldn't delay the game a couple days, we've got a four-day holiday weekend next week. :)
Tom's big kick to win came on a fortuitous landing of the lunar calendar holiday. The wife and kid were away to in-laws and I had the house to myself. Might have startled the neighbors after the siren though. ;)

BTW love the avatar :thumbsu:

I love Easter Monday.
Great tradition, a day we know were always playing.
Always good contests and something to do and look forward to on a otherwise boring weekend
Easter monday is not on the weekend. Thats part of the problem that makes the weekend boring.

For interstate supporters who can only travel on long weekends like this weekend the game is at the worst time because you literally have to rush to the airport after the game to catch the last flight back and arrive home at midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back