Geelong's record in finals under Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes that’s correct he’s a great coach for winning 2 flags and that is above average for the reasons you said.

However the confusion here is the thread topic. This thread is not Scott’s overall record, which is exceptional for winning 2 flags. It’s just his finals record which is subpar which should have gotten him another 1-2 from his finals placements.

I think some cats supporters are getting offended first and thinking later probably cause it’s me of all people saying it. I’m not having a dig and they keep thinking I am.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No, it isn’t. That’s not how football works and if you actually opening yourself up to other people’s logic rather than just ‘I’m right come hell or high water’ you will work this out.

If a team finishes 4th every year for a decade, and their finals results are dictated by ladder position (ie. higher ranked team is considered ‘favourite’) then they will lose 66 per cent of matches, getting knocked out in the preliminary final every year, while a team who finishes 6th and gets knocked out on semi-final weekend will boast a 50 per cent record for the decade.

The coach with the ‘sub par’ 33 per cent record in this instance is actually coaching his team in finals to exactly where they SHOULD be finishing each year.

It’s not rocket science but you keep try to make out like it is.

Forgetting mathematical formulae for a second, and yes there are a couple of seasons - 2014 is the standout and 2016 wasn’t much better - where we were really really ordinary across two finals in each season.

Any coach who makes 11 finals campaigns will have poor ones.

Hardwick going out in week one three years in a row, once against the team who finished ninth in one instance, for example.

On the flip side Scott beat a side that no other coach could beat in 2011. He overachieved.
In 2020 he got a side from fourth into the grand final. Ladder position should have indicated that we never made it that far.

So yes there are years on both sides of the equation where he has exceeded or missed what ‘should’ have happened.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Just give him what he wants, lol.

Chris Scott is a s**t coach who underperformed because...reasons

Damien Hardwick is the most amazing coach in history, and no other coach can match him, because...reasons

/endthread

Last edited:

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
No, it isn’t. That’s not how football works and if you actually opening yourself up to other people’s logic rather than just ‘I’m right come hell or high water’ you will work this out.

If a team finishes 4th every year for a decade, and their finals results are dictated by ladder position (ie. higher ranked team is considered ‘favourite’) then they will lose 66 per cent of matches, getting knocked out in the preliminary final every year, while a team who finishes 6th and gets knocked out on semi-final weekend will boast a 50 per cent record for the decade.

The coach with the ‘sub par’ 33 per cent record in this instance is actually coaching his team in finals to exactly where they SHOULD be finishing each year.

It’s not rocket science but you keep try to make out like it is.

Forgetting mathematical formulae for a second, and yes there are a couple of seasons - 2014 is the standout and 2016 wasn’t much better - where we were really really ordinary across two finals in each season.

Any coach who makes 11 finals campaigns will have poor ones.

Hardwick going out in week one three years in a row, once against the team who finished ninth in one instance, for example.

On the flip side Scott beat a side that no other coach could beat in 2011. He overachieved.
In 2020 he got a side from fourth into the grand final. Ladder position should have indicated that we never made it that far.

So yes there are years on both sides of the equation where he has exceeded or missed what ‘should’ have happened.

Jesus mate, you say it’s not rocket science then proceed to right a whole essay explaining it. I just complemented your coach in a simple way ffs and you still don’t get it, what is the deal with you people. Anyway I’m off, you are making me physically ill. This is yet another thread you’ve policed and driven people away. Even other Geelong supporters are so sick of it one of them made a thread about how he can’t stand his own supporters. Look in the mirror.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Just give him what he wants, lol.

Chris Scott is a s**t coach who underperformed because...reasons

Damien Hardwick is the most amazing coach in history, and no other coach can match him, because...reasons

/endthread

I just BLOODY COMPLEMENTED YOUR COACH

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Jesus mate, you say it’s not rocket science then proceed to right a whole essay explaining it. I just complemented your coach in a simple way ffs and you still don’t get it, what is the deal with you people. Anyway I’m off, you are making me physically ill. This is yet another thread you’ve policed and driven people away. Even other Geelong supporters are so sick of it one of them made a thread about how he can’t stand his own supporters. Look in the mirror.

Having basic statistical and logistical formulae presented to you is making you physically ill….. ok.

Mate if you can’t handle someone giving a fairly simple explanation of why your logic falls over, don’t engage in the discussion in the first place.

Having to read a few paragraphs to get the gist of what someone is saying is hardly what I’d call a challenge

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

*Backhand compliment.

I know it's tough for you to see the difference, but saying 'he's great and won 2 flags, but statistics say he should have won more, so therefore he's not that great ', is basically a backhand compliment.

It's alright, I couldn't care less. You just don't seem to tolerate anyone else's opinions or thoughts, so I thought it would just be easier to tell you what you want to hear instead of people banging their against a brick wall, trying to get you to consider their point of view.

Pointless thread now, so see ya.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Yes that’s correct he’s a great coach for winning 2 flags and that is above average for the reasons you said.

However the confusion here is the thread topic. This thread is not Scott’s overall record, which is exceptional for winning 2 flags. It’s just his finals record which is subpar which should have gotten him another 1-2 from his finals placements.

I think some cats supporters are getting offended first and thinking later probably cause it’s me of all people saying it. I’m not having a dig and they keep thinking I am.

We should start counting his finals record as a Brisbane player in the tally. It’s only fair.

12-4 as player, 2 premierships
13-15 as coach, 2 premierships
25-19 and 4 flags screams success

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're saying his 'par' is 3.25 on the basis of Geelong's Grand Final and Preliminary Finals appearances over Scott's tenure.

Using your formula against accurate data, it is actually 2.75:
Grand Finals: 3/2=1.5
Prelims: 5/4=1.25
1.5+1.25=2.75

What if he only made 2 Grand Finals and won them, and had straight sets exits every other year?

Using your formula he would have had 2 flags (against a par of 1) and therefore overperformed by a magnitude of 200%

😮😮😮

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea

I have a question just for you.

Chris Scott’s brother, Brad, wasn’t as lucky and coached North Melbourne. A club throughout both of our lifetimes has always been average at best. From memory he never took their subpar squad to a top four finish in a home and away season however still took them to two preliminary finals. At the end of the day it means he still took a poor list and finished top four twice.

North Melbourne is a club that has repeatedly struggled to attract big name players in the 2000’s so how could Brad Scott have done any better?

Do you think Brad is a bad coach? I don’t.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Why is it the great coaches have a finals win percentage close to or greater than their home and away win percentage, yet Chris Scott has a large gap between his home and away win percentage, and his finals win percentage?

Mick Malthouse: 57% home/away, 54% finals.
Mark Thompson: 62% home/away, 58% finals.
Alastair Clarkson: 59% home/away, 62% finals.
Damien Hardwick: 57% home/away, 63% finals.
Leigh Matthews: 58% home/away, 65% finals.
Malcolm Blight: 55% home/away, 65% finals.
Denis Pagan: 50% home/away, 64% finals.

Interesting to know you rate Paul Roos ahead of Mark Thompson.

Also, I personally have Paul Roos on par with Mark Williams, even though for some reason, Roos is rated much higher than Williams in the media.

Then again, the media seem to rate Ken Hinkley, who is not only 2x AFLPA coach of the year, but is also highly rated by Port supporters.
It's pretty obvious isn't it?

By the time Chris Scott is sacked, he will have had a few lean years and therefore his home/away finals record will come down.

Chris Scott's H&A record is at 70%, if that were replicated in finals, they'd win the flag every year. If you have a 70% w/L, you make the QF every year. To maintain a 70% finals record, you'd have to win 2/3 finals or better every year. That's making the granny every year. You're essentially asking for a near-perfect Prelim finals record to be achieved.

You want Scott to have the best finals record ever, and anything less means he's not a great coach? Best ever or nothing?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
*Backhand compliment.

I know it's tough for you to see the difference, but saying 'he's great and won 2 flags, but statistics say he should have won more, so therefore he's not that great ', is basically a backhand compliment.

It's alright, I couldn't care less. You just don't seem to tolerate anyone else's opinions or thoughts, so I thought it would just be easier to tell you what you want to hear instead of people banging their against a brick wall, trying to get you to consider their point of view.

Pointless thread now, so see ya.

That last sentence is very true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back