No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, BigFooty had a data breach?

This is very concerning.

If someone starts posting stupid and/or inappropriate content under my username, none of you will be able to tell I've been hacked!!!

:p

But isn't that exactly what you post here most of the time anyway? 🤠🤠🤠

This is very concerning.

If someone starts posting stupid and/or inappropriate content under my username, none of you will be able to tell I've been hacked!!!

It was me all along ... sucked in people!!!

aph keeps offering me one.............

f532fb452ff964985a8b830912ef326d.gif

Maybe, but I don't think that's particularly fair.

They should be held to the original contract not just when it suits them. Everyone knew there was a chance it would be problematic later on in Buddy's career.
There was Buckley's of him completing the contract. Anyone who said otherwise was kidding themselves.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is very concerning.

Eh, it was only a matter of time from a realistic point of view. I'm surprised that a more significant breach hasn't happened before.

Sympathies to Chief. Top bloke. He'd be gutted.

There was Buckley's of him completing the contract. Anyone who said otherwise was kidding themselves.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They'd have wanted a premiership or two with him but they've gotten their monies worth with all of the promotion he's given them.

Not surprised at all that he has broken down at this stage of his career. Anybody carrying that rig through as much football as he's played was bound to break down.

They'd have wanted a premiership or two with him but they've gotten their monies worth with all of the promotion he's given them.

Not surprised at all that he has broken down at this stage of his career. Anybody carrying that rig through as much football as he's played was bound to break down.

Yeah and he has done his time. Contract aside . He has played 300 games .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is very concerning.

I heard with the Carlton users it was a
Datadatada breach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game length of 66 minutes going to not allow the edge of guys like Walsh to shine as much this year?
Although he has a lot more to his game strength than just that.

Andrew Russell was interesting to hear on Fox footy channel this morning.

It's two points, one general and one specifically to do with Free Agency.

Generally, if aplayer is still being paid, then that money falls under the Salary Cap, even if they have retired or are let go. For example if you sign a player onto a two year deal worth $200k each and you delist them mid-contract so you can sign someone else, the club is contractually obligated to pay that player the $200k in the second year, despite the fact he's not on the list. That money obviously has to fall under the Salary cap as, theoretically, in contrast you could pay all your players after they retire and not pay any of the salary cap. Where a player is injured and is forced to retire they are still entitled to their contractual payments as the club took a risk on giving them [x] number of years and should be held to that. In some circumstances where a player retires earlier than intended due to a serious injury or illness the two parties may agree to waive amounts owed to the player on agreement. In these circumstances even though the money isn't being paid it is still technically under the Salary Cap as the club had agreed to pay that amount. However, the AFL will often waive these figures from the Salary cap if the retirement is seen as legitimate, this has happened with a number of players in the past.

In the context of Free Agency it is even more critical as the contractual offer accepted by the player is important in determining whether the club, or a third party, could match that player's free agency bid. Givne Sydney outbid other clubs by offering this contract, they should be held to its terms to ensure fairness. Otherwise you could provide a ludicrous offer (say $3 mill per year over 3 years) to outbid an opponent and then restructure that salary once the player arrived to the club.

Cheers, all of that makes sense, if a player continues to be paid, that it needs to be in the cap. I am referring to if Buddy retired, walked away from the deal and ceased to be paid. In regards to your last example of a player renegotiating when they arrived at a club to deliberately put off others, i see the issue, but i think its a lot different if a player renegotiates 3/4 way through a deal.

I can see merit in saying the club has to honour the money in the cap, but its still unclear what the means. Do Sydney have to pay $1M under the cap to allow for a player that no longer plays or can they spread that amongst others?

As it was a rule that was brought in within the space of around 1 week, to punish Sydney for being sneaky but as far as i know, not actually doing anything wrong, im not sure if the AFL even know the nitty gritty of the rule.

If Jack Martin, in a post covid meeting, decided to renegotiate his $$$$ so we could land a target, that he thought would help him achieve a premiership, would we be put under the same microscope, seeing we structured his contract as to put off others?

It all seems a bit childish of the AFL to me.

Thanks for the detailed post too.

Cheers, all of that makes sense, if a player continues to be paid, that it needs to be in the cap. I am referring to if Buddy retired, walked away from the deal and ceased to be paid. In regards to your last example of a player renegotiating when they arrived at a club to deliberately put off others, i see the issue, but i think its a lot different if a player renegotiates 3/4 way through a deal.

I can see merit in saying the club has to honour the money in the cap, but its still unclear what the means. Do Sydney have to pay $1M under the cap to allow for a player that no longer plays or can they spread that amongst others?

As it was a rule that was brought in within the space of around 1 week, to punish Sydney for being sneaky but as far as i know, not actually doing anything wrong, im not sure if the AFL even know the nitty gritty of the rule.

If Jack Martin, in a post covid meeting, decided to renegotiate his $$$$ so we could land a target, that he thought would help him achieve a premiership, would we be put under the same microscope, seeing we structured his contract as to put off others?

It all seems a bit childish of the AFL to me.

Thanks for the detailed post too.
I don't believe Buddy's wage on the salary cap can be shared with other players. This applies to all free agents, but the Covid situation may affect this rule.

Listening to Andrew Russell sounds like we got into next round with our three LTI guys of Curnow, Kemp and Kruezer out and Marchbank still not quite right to resume straight away but everyone else should be available that weekend. Hopefully our players not playing seniors play the Dees the same weekend either as curtain raiser or straight after it at Docklands that night. Then both clubs might have 18 guys get a hit out that did not play in the senior game for the weekend.

Game length of 66 minutes going to not allow the edge of guys like Walsh to shine as much this year?
Although he has a lot more to his game strength than just that.

Andrew Russell was interesting to hear on Fox footy channel this morning.
Suggested Buddy lose weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back