Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part IV – #lateoutwatch

Remove this Banner Ad

There's something going on. The Dr seemed very keen to stay out of the spotlight on this when the initial story came out about his settlement. Why talk now? What does he have to gain?

A lot more organisations and people are getting implicated in this now outside of our club which hopefully means we get some real answers. Other journos have been staying out of this for that long too, not sure they will be able to anymore.

Sick of this story haunting our club.

There could be, sure. But I don't think it's coincidence that this story has always come in waves - and we're in one at the moment with Bartlett seeking to sue Gawn, the Dr all of a sudden piping up with the help of his Collins St neighbour, all put out in a Michael Warner narrative.

Why talk now? Well, it's been put forward under privilege, which means it doesn't have to be true and can't be classed as defamatory, notably; the government refused to let it be tabled. My guess is it may be a pressure tactic in the Bartlett litigation. That doesn't mean everything in it is untrue, but the timing of it seems a bit too convenient. I mean, Bartlett and his legal action are mentioned in this very article.

I mean, imagine asking the Prim Minister to "personally intervene" on this. Absurd by Wilkie.

What Shaun Smith got to do with this? Is he blaming Melbourne for his son dealing drug?

In Shaun Smith’s statement, detailed by Mr Wilkie, he said: “If I had known of a massive drug problem in the AFL when my son was 14, I would have said you’re playing baseball, you’re playing something else. “Something is not right when you get so many broken players.”

(Not sure Shaun is totally up on baseball culture by the sounds of it)

I have no doubt 'dodgy' tests are done at every club to make sure players avoid testing positive with ASADA. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the AFL behind it either. Avoiding the drug culture issues. Now AFLW players are getting busted with drugs. Who was the player years ago telling everyone the league has a massive drug culture issue? I think he was a Swans player. Was it Nick Davis?

Shaun Smith is a terrible parent, no offense, but what a ******* enabler. Its not my darling child its the system

As soon as I saw Shaun was involved I knew this was probably not legit. Guy is absolutely cooked in the head, maybe not his fault due to the concussions but gee whiz he just can't help but get involved.

I feel Shaun is also talking like this because the club would be furious with his son and he definitely has played his last game of AFL footy. I mean obviously Oliver has had significant issues but a) he is a very good player and we know that grants you a lot of leeway, and b) Smith being on the nose beers just before finals with a pregnant wife and not a guaranteed spot in the side just screams idiot to me.

Shaun is so dumb that he cant see Bartlett is using him, he doesnt give a * about Joel and how he supposedly became a drug addict at the hands of the crooked AFL, hes using your son to try and make himself look correct you idiot and youre going along with it coz you want someone to blame instead of yourself for being a bad parent.

Shaun is so dumb that he cant see Bartlett is using him, he doesnt give a * about Joel and how he supposedly became a drug addict at the hands of the crooked AFL, hes using your son to try and make himself look correct you idiot and youre going along with it coz you want someone to blame instead of yourself for being a bad parent.

The whole Smith family vs the club thing has been going on for years. When they sent him back out there in 2019 preseason and he aggravated the groin injury I remember Shaun bitching about it publicly on facebook. Club then keeps Joel around for another 5 years after that when honestly we could have cut him a long time ago. Our medical team definitely screwed up sending him back on, but he has hardly paid back the contracts he has been given. Naturally Shaun wouldn't see that and just assume it is all the clubs fault his kid is an idiot.

The whole Smith family vs the club thing has been going on for years. When they sent him back out there in 2019 preseason and he aggravated the groin injury I remember Shaun bitching about it publicly on facebook. Club then keeps Joel around for another 5 years after that when honestly we could have cut him a long time ago. Our medical team definitely screwed up sending him back on, but he has hardly paid back the contracts he has been given. Naturally Shaun wouldn't see that and just assume it is all the clubs fault his kid is an idiot.
Yeah, he basically guilt tripped the club into giving his son another contract

Very interesting claims. As with others I'm wondering why now and not 2 years ago? Maybe the hush money ran out and he still had an axe to grind.

It's a very odd alliance of different parties involved. The political angle is especially strange. Will need more than a signed statement from a jilted ex-employee, especially if you are implicating others in this conspiracy.

I think it's entirely possible we had such a program in place, especially for a star player with a substance abuse problem. Actually makes a lot of sense to manage the issue.

In Shaun Smith’s statement, detailed by Mr Wilkie, he said: “If I had known of a massive drug problem in the AFL when my son was 14, I would have said you’re playing baseball, you’re playing something else. “Something is not right when you get so many broken players.”
Wait Shaun was an afl player too right? He mustnt have had many friends when he was playing lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait so you're telling me that AFL players do drugs? And the AFL knew about it?!

Someone call the PM, that's just not on.

Seriously though Bartlett might be the most disgruntled former employee in the history of employment and he's somehow managed to take this all the way to the top lmao honestly pretty impressive.

At least now if all of this is real the Dees will probably avoid specific punishment because the AFL checked it all off.

''But as Dr Arain explains this isn't just a Melbourne problem, it is an AFL problem with multiple players coming to Melbourne from other teams with pre-existing cocaine dependencies more than suggesting that drug testing workarounds are commonplace elsewhere in the AFL.''

Whelp, that's the Dogs implicated.
2021 GF teams really did enjoy a party..

''But as Dr Arain explains this isn't just a Melbourne problem, it is an AFL problem with multiple players coming to Melbourne from other teams with pre-existing cocaine dependencies more than suggesting that drug testing workarounds are commonplace elsewhere in the AFL.''

Whelp, that's the Dogs implicated.
2021 GF teams really did enjoy a party..

Not that the Dogs, and current Melbourne former-Dogs, are innocent, but the doctor involved in this left the club in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back