General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just patently untrue.

I did say 'by his standards'. Even though he got the most possessions of his career, I think his 2014 season was his best, and 2012 and 2013 he was more important to us than he is now, as we have a lot more midfield depth.

Yeah, it's a great award with lots of history ('n stuff) but it's time for a change. Umps shouldn't vote it.

Why not though because all of the media/player/coaches awards are also dominated by midfielders even though they bang on about the brownlow being a miss award.. it's the way the game is now viewed and the over value placed on stats

I did say 'by his standards'. Even though he got the most possessions of his career, I think his 2014 season was his best, and 2012 and 2013 he was more important to us than he is now, as we have a lot more midfield depth.
IMO Tyson's best was better than Jones' in 2014, but he wasn't as consistent in the back half of the season.

Umpires aren't allowed to access stats, which is absurd when it gets compared to other media awards and they cop scrutiny for it. They have to go off who they notice most, which will generally be midfielders unless a forward kicks a bag.
I think they changed this within the last couple of years

If gawn couldnt get bog v collingwood then those umpires need voting rights to be taken off them

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
Didn't get a vote v North either.

Max's night went as I thought - got recognition around Rd6 and started to poll from there. Next year is his shot - look how well Goldstein polled before he got hurt.

Max's night went as I thought - got recognition around Rd6 and started to poll from there. Next year is his shot - look how well Goldstein polled before he got hurt.
This is what I thought.

Every year I think this - the umps take 12 months to catch up with the trending hype. There are occasions where I have thought that the Brownlow gets awarded to the bloke who deserved it for the previous year.

Mind you I'm only guessing today because I don't really recall last night because of beers. I think there may have been a storm in Port Melbourne but after that nothing.

I'm sure the point has been raised already, but if the dogs win on Saturday, we'll have the longest drought of winning a grand final in the AFL (not including the teams who haven't won at all).

One positive is that I can imagine us getting a similar positive reception in the way the dogs have when we eventually make another GF.

Just patently untrue.
Couldn't agree more.
You don't get votes based on your own standards for a start, it's measured on how well you played as compared to everyone else.
I'd go the other way and say he's a victim of his own high standards and the fact we've had others stand up this year has meant he doesn't stick out like dogs balls as our only half decent player anymore.
Blokes is and always will be a deadset champ!
Well deserved Jonesy!

Yeah, it's a great award with lots of history ('n stuff) but it's time for a change. Umps shouldn't vote it.

Absolutely mad that such a prestigious award is put in the hands of people who can't find anything better to do than get abused by 40,000 punters every weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely mad that such a prestigious award is put in the hands of people who can't find anything better to do than get abused by 40,000 punters every weekend.
I manage that without trying.

I manage that without trying.

You must get excellent exposure. I can generally manage a handful at the pub on occasions, but nothing to compare to such a grand scale.

You must get excellent exposure. I can generally manage a handful at the pub on occasions, but nothing to compare to such a grand scale.
I bring my best work to the peeps as much as possible. Sacred duty.

I think I should probably decide the Brownlow really. I think this year Danger would have been in the mix through the night but the final tally would be mostly Melbourne players.

Will have Viney, Tyson, and Watts pinching more votes off of him next year IMO + plus the 2013-15 draftees.

I bring my best work to the peeps as much as possible. Sacred duty.

I think I should probably decide the Brownlow really. I think this year Danger would have been in the mix through the night but the final tally would be mostly Melbourne players.

Did Col Garland play enough games to win your Brownlow?

Did Col Garland play enough games to win your Brownlow?
Probably up there I think. I only want what is fair and just.

I think Jeffy wins. I got so annoyed at the board for being mean to him in the weeks following the first Hawthorn match that I refused to speak to any of you for a few days before I realised nobody noticed and gave it up.

Probably up there I think. I only want what is fair and just.

I think Jeffy wins. I got so annoyed at the board for being mean to him in the weeks following the first Hawthorn match that I refused to speak to any of you for a few days before I realised nobody noticed and gave it up.

Do you mean Downhill Jeffy who lives on Lazy Street in Softville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back