News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Djokovic will apparently miss the US Open.
Confirmed. Doing a Fed. 5 months off. good move IMO.

Get the body and mind right and come fully fresh for the Aussie Summer. Be interesting what his schedule is like for the Aus Open. Hopman Cup perhaps????? guaranteed games

Last edited:
5i2A4vu.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can the season be too long when the individual players can pick and choose which tournaments they play in?
They can pick and choose BUT they have to virtually play certain events for ranking points. Masters/Premier's 5 for example. End of year champs is the big one which I always complain about. The main season needs to end in October, even if there are some WTA/ATP events(minor ones) after that.

Italy's former world number five Sara Errani has been banned for two months after failing a drugs test - because her mother's cancer drug accidentally contaminated a family meal.

The 30-year-old, who reached the French Open final in 2012, tested positive for banned drug letrozole.

Errani's mother had been using the drug as part of her breast cancer treatment.

But she had dropped some pills on a kitchen worktop where tortellini and broth were later prepared.

A tribunal panel accepted the player probably ingested the substance through accidental food contamination.

But it was ruled Errani, now ranked 98, could have done more to protect herself, leading to the two-month sanction.

Letrozole increases lean body mass and was banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) over concerns it was being abused by bodybuilders.

An independent tribunal, appointed by the International Tennis Federation, said there was no evidence it would enhance the performance of an elite tennis player.

It is the most high-profile drugs case in women's tennis since that of Maria Sharapova, who beat Errani in the 2012 French final.

The Russian returned to the tour earlier this year after she was banned for 15 months on appeal following a positive test for meldonium.

'Frustrated and extremely disappointed'

Errani's mother and father told the tribunal hearing in July that after the positive finding, they carried out an experiment which found the drug dissolved in a broth, plus a meat mixture for tortellini, without being detectable.

"Together with my family we have tried to understand how this contamination could have happened because I am 100% certain I haven't taken a pill by mistake," said Errani in a statement.

"The only viable option has been that an accidental food contamination occurred at some stage in the house."

She accepted a charge of violating anti-doping rules in April. The ban is effective from 3 August.

Errani said she was "very frustrated" and "extremely disappointed" by the sanction but was "at peace with my conscience and aware I haven't done anything wrong".

In 2012, she stopped working with Luis Garcia del Moral, one of the doctors at the centre of cyclist Lance Armstrong's doping scandal.

"I'm not interested in keeping working with a person that is involved in these things," said Errani at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Almost as good as the horse trainer who got his horse positive overturned when he said his heart medication must have been transferred to his horse when the trainer took a piss in the horses stall and the horse must have eaten the hay that he pissed on and picked up traces of the drug in its system.

Errani as dodgy as they come. Very lucky there were bigger fish in the tennis world for the Spanish government to protect in Operation Puerto.

Italy's former world number five Sara Errani has been banned for two months after failing a drugs test - because her mother's cancer drug accidentally contaminated a family meal.

The 30-year-old, who reached the French Open final in 2012, tested positive for banned drug letrozole.

Errani's mother had been using the drug as part of her breast cancer treatment.

But she had dropped some pills on a kitchen worktop where tortellini and broth were later prepared.

A tribunal panel accepted the player probably ingested the substance through accidental food contamination.

But it was ruled Errani, now ranked 98, could have done more to protect herself, leading to the two-month sanction.

Letrozole increases lean body mass and was banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) over concerns it was being abused by bodybuilders.

An independent tribunal, appointed by the International Tennis Federation, said there was no evidence it would enhance the performance of an elite tennis player.

It is the most high-profile drugs case in women's tennis since that of Maria Sharapova, who beat Errani in the 2012 French final.

The Russian returned to the tour earlier this year after she was banned for 15 months on appeal following a positive test for meldonium.

'Frustrated and extremely disappointed'

Errani's mother and father told the tribunal hearing in July that after the positive finding, they carried out an experiment which found the drug dissolved in a broth, plus a meat mixture for tortellini, without being detectable.

"Together with my family we have tried to understand how this contamination could have happened because I am 100% certain I haven't taken a pill by mistake," said Errani in a statement.

"The only viable option has been that an accidental food contamination occurred at some stage in the house."

She accepted a charge of violating anti-doping rules in April. The ban is effective from 3 August.

Errani said she was "very frustrated" and "extremely disappointed" by the sanction but was "at peace with my conscience and aware I haven't done anything wrong".

In 2012, she stopped working with Luis Garcia del Moral, one of the doctors at the centre of cyclist Lance Armstrong's doping scandal.

"I'm not interested in keeping working with a person that is involved in these things," said Errani at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Now I've heard it all :rolleyes:

Azarenka might miss the US open due a custody battle

VICTORIA Azarenka has detailed her custody fight over eight-month-old son Leo, saying she will skip the upcoming US Open because of it unless things change.

The move came six days after a TMZ Sports website report that Azarenka would skip the year’s final Grand Slam event in New York following a split last month with the boy’s father, Billy McKeague.

The report said a judge in Los Angeles, where McKeague filed custody papers, will not allow the boy to leave California until the matter is settled, not expected until October.

Azarenka left open a possibility she might be able to play in the Flushing Meadows fortnight, saying in her message: “My incredible fans and friends, who have supported me throughout my career deserve to know why I may not be able to compete at the US Open this year.”

The 28-year-old from Belarus, ranked 204 after a lay-off while pregnant and after her son’s birth, played last month at Wimbledon, reaching the round of 16 before losing to second-ranked Simona Halep.

“Shortly after Wimbledon, Leo’s father and I separated and as we work to resolve some of the legal processes, the way things stand now is that the only way I can play in the US Open this year is if I leave Leo behind in California, which I’m not willing to do,” Azarenka wrote.

“I look forward to hopefully having positive developments soon so that this difficult situation can be resolved and I can get back to competing.

“No parent should have to decide between their child or their career.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...n/news-story/1429a250a7a24e16f21b37e6b7b4108a

Remove this Banner Ad

Back