GF ticketing system a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Truetiger i truely hope you die before you ever see Richmond in a grand final again. Same goes for that *ed geelong supporter who has been to 15 grand finals since 1989. Bet you really enjoyed 1989, 1992, 1994 didnt ya - i hope thats all you ever get to see until you die too - Geelong losing grand finals.

Truetiger said:
Well its good to be there with a FRONT row ticket row a level 1 for the big game. See you all there :)

I can not wait for Saturday, I got my ticket this morning. It is on Level 1 Row KK which I think is the 2nd to back row on the bottom deck. This is my 8th Grand Final in a row and 10th in 12 years since moving from Adelaide. I have been a AFL Full Member since 1999. Wouldn't miss a grand final for anything.

Bring on Saturday.

Just some numbers for people:

MCC full membership: 56,500
MCC Restricted membership: 35,500
Total: 92,000 - which is made up of supporters of all clubs (including WC and the Swans)

(waiting list 158,000)

Cost of Southern Stand: $150 m
Cost of Current Redevelopment: $430 m
Members contribute $25m per year to the funding.

Third Ring said:
Just some numbers for people:

MCC full membership: 56,500
MCC Restricted membership: 35,500
Total: 92,000 - which is made up of supporters of all clubs (including WC and the Swans)

(waiting list 158,000)

Cost of Southern Stand: $150 m
Cost of Current Redevelopment: $430 m
Members contribute $25m per year to the funding.

56,500 at $450 plus 35,500 at $350 adds up to more like $38 mil of contributions, and thats in subs alone. Plus guest passes and Grand Final Reserved seats.
Plus the profits made on catering (which Spotless does not have control of and allprofits go towards maintaining the stadium) would add plenty more to the coffers. At just $10 per head profit and average attendance in the Members of say 8000, thats at least another 5-6 mil raised. So the MCC Members contribute a MINIMUM of $45 mil every year.

hotpie said:
.....So the MCC Members contribute a MINIMUM of $45 mil every year.
By that logic you might as well sell off that 50,000 or so of the spots to people on the waiting list that would sell out the stadium. Even more money to pay for building costs etc. No senseless scrabble for tickets by non Melbourne based footy supporters. No rush for plane tickets, accomodation, time off work etc. Very neat.
Trouble is non Victorian sides are continually pushing through the finals with this being the second time in a row there has been no Victorian side involved. It makes the inequity of the current arrangements all too visible and will create demand for change in the way the finals arrangement with the MCG did. Better to take gradual action now and trim the number of 'spectator' tickets.

Powerstufff said:
By that logic you might as well sell off that 50,000 or so of the spots to people on the waiting list that would sell out the stadium. .

We're not greedy. We are happy to share the rest of the ground with the riff-raff. Besides, if we took any more seats we'd have the sun in our eyes.

And there's no way in hell I'm going to let Joe Public use the facilities in the new members stand. I pay my money so I get the best seats on the best side of the ground.

There are more bars than you can poke a stick at, most with wood panelling and carpet, serving beer in glass, at bar prices.

That alone is the No. 1 reason why the MCC members' allocation to the Grand Final will never change.

MRobbo said:
I can not wait for Saturday, I got my ticket this morning. It is on Level 1 Row KK which I think is the 2nd to back row on the bottom deck. This is my 8th Grand Final in a row and 10th in 12 years since moving from Adelaide. I have been a AFL Full Member since 1999. Wouldn't miss a grand final for anything.

Bring on Saturday.

If you don't mind me asking how much does that cost & does it get you into games in Adelaide or just in melbourne.

Powerstufff said:
These arrangements are to a large extent hangovers from VFL days. They favour Melbournites to too great a degree.
I don't disagree with the basic idea. AFL/MCC/Telstra Dome memberships do generate guaranteed income for the AFL and the two Melbourne grounds. They also provide 'crowd fillers' for games that wouldn't attract big AFL crowds. For example IMO Port v Freo would struggle to reach 60,000 and we don't want a 2/3 full stadium on our big day.
But it is easy to restructure these packages so everyone understands paid up members of the competing clubs get first access and non-aligned AFL/MCC/Telstra Dome members follow after.
Unless you have cash to burn you would not bother with your AFL membership if you didn't live in Melbourne. But because you apparently do it seems you intend to go to the GF and to deny a place in the ground to a supporter of the competing club. That is just wrong in its simplest analysis, though I admit I don't think I could resist if I were in your shoes.

If interstate supporters wanted to guarantee themselves a right to accessing Grand Final tickets, they would become AFL Members with a club support add on.

Every interstate member would get a guaranteed seat (due to the low number of members) on the wing and wouldn't have to worry about queueing up.

Unfortunately money is what keeps the AFL vibrant, and it is the corporate $$$'s that rule come GF day.

cjwalkley said:
If interstate supporters wanted to guarantee themselves a right to accessing Grand Final tickets, they would become AFL Members with a club support add on......
Why? If you don't live in Melbourne it means you pay 2 to 3 times your normal membership on the off chance you'll make a GF. You can't access the week by week benefits of attending multiple games in Melbourne. With 5 in my family I'd have to sell the Lear Jet to pay for it all.
This isn't special pleading on my part. With Port's system our memberships and season tickets guarantee us a high spot in our club's allocation and we got in easily last year. In fact if the Swans and the Eagles have any sort of efficient system set up I reckon most paid up members of the two clubs who are able to travel to Melbourne will get tickets easily. But it is time to look ahead, and away from the VFL orientated system of old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

langers70 said:
If you don't mind me asking how much does that cost & does it get you into games in Adelaide or just in melbourne.

It cost me about $250 entrance fee then to be a silver member it cost $220 a year I think it took me 6 years to get full member ship which is where you get a better chance of getting a grand final ticket which cost about $370 this season. It gives me 40 games at the MCG and Telstra Dome plus finals including interstate preliminary finals. It is well worth as it gives you the chance to line up and book grand finals tickets as I did this morning it cost me $74 for the grand final ticket.

Powerstufff said:
Why? If you don't live in Melbourne it means you pay 2 to 3 times your normal membership on the off chance you'll make a GF. You can't access the week by week benefits of attending multiple games in Melbourne. With 5 in my family I'd have to sell the Lear Jet to pay for it all.
This isn't special pleading on my part. With Port's system our memberships and season tickets guarantee us a high spot in our club's allocation and we got in easily last year. In fact if the Swans and the Eagles have any sort of efficient system set up I reckon most paid up members of the two clubs who are able to travel to Melbourne will get tickets easily. But it is time to look ahead, and away from the VFL orientated system of old.

When the AFL finds other sources to pay for the MCG and it's redevelopments then you might have a case, until then the AFL can provide consistent stadium users with a membership option.

I go to probably 35 matches a year, and all finals in Melbourne. Even though I am a Lions member as well, I am a football fan. What right does a Swans member who goes to 3-4 matches a year have for a GF ticket instead of me?

sedders said:
why should a tigers supporter get a ticket over a swans or eagle member?

afl members were created to fund the southern stand construction. its built, its paid for and its time for your membership to be abolished.

Sedders you blody idiot, get your facts right. AFL memberships was NOT created to build the southern stand, Afl memberships date back to 1970 when it was known as VFL memberships.
AFL memberships are the life blood of the competition, without us their would not be a competition.
We pay 3 times the price of a club member so we should get rights to all finals.

MCC membership is for the MCC to decide and it is for the AFL to accept, negotiate or go elsewhere. The AFL has commercial power because they have the only sport that can fund the MCG. No footy means no MCG. It could barely stay open long enough to see one Boxing Day bonanza to the next. On the other hand the MCC have the only ground the AFL can play many of their marquee games at, certainly in Melbourne where the most punters live. That should make for a reasonable equitable bargaining position for both parties.

What really ********es me off is the AFL membership and the Medallion allocation. That is why so many competing club members can't get in. When you add all the tickets that end up with travel agents, competition running media outlets and hospitality packages you have the real answer to the AFL easily solvable grand final attendance problem. The only problem is that of the will of the AFL to serve its patrons adequately. The MCC members in effect own the ground and have some say in its use indirectly through their cash. The AFL on the other hand just chase the cash and really couldn't care less who gets in.

cjwalkley said:
....What right does a Swans member who goes to 3-4 matches a year have for a GF ticket instead of me?
A casual Swans supporter might go to 3-4 games and IMO you have more of a right to a ticket. But a member/season ticket holder is generally likely to go to all 11 home games and their support for AFL is as meaningful as yours and their money just as good in supporting the comp. I've no doubt that if one ticket is left to the MCG this week they have more right to it than you. Again however I admit that if I was you he'd probably be left standing outside. But after the match I'd go to confession.

thetigerman said:
AFL memberships are the life blood of the competition, without us their would not be a competition.
Absolute garbage. A bit less undistributed profit at AFL level and a bit more (probably not as much) direct revenue to clubs with memberships and seat sales. Lifeblood my arse.

So with an AFL membership are you able to get into your teams home games or you have to buy a club membership on top of that?

JinmboJones said:
So with an AFL membership are you able to get into your teams home games or you have to buy a club membership on top of that?

An AFL membership gets you into any game you wish to see at the MCG / DOCKLANDS regardless of who you support.
In most case an AFL member will see more of your clubs games than the average club member does.
If a AFL member has seen more than 30 games then they have a right to the grand final no matter who is playing.

Powerstufff said:
A casual Swans supporter might go to 3-4 games and IMO you have more of a right to a ticket. But a member/season ticket holder is generally likely to go to all 11 home games and their support for AFL is as meaningful as yours and their money just as good in supporting the comp. I've no doubt that if one ticket is left to the MCG this week they have more right to it than you. Again however I admit that if I was you he'd probably be left standing outside. But after the match I'd go to confession.

So how many Swans members missed out on tickets?

It is all a matter of putting your dollars on the line early. If they wanted to ensure they have a ticket for GF Day then they purchase a higher level of membership either at their club or through the AFL. If they don't, no point whingeing in September.

I would still like to see a system in place where attendance is taken into account. If I missed out on a ticket and some blow in who has been to a couple of games only gets a guernsey, I would be ropeable. Not certain how they would do that correctly though.

thetigerman said:
An AFL membership gets you into any game you wish to see at the MCG / DOCKLANDS regardless of who you support.
In most case an AFL member will see more of your clubs games than the average club member does.
If a AFL member has seen more than 30 games then they have a right to the grand final no matter who is playing.

Which is effectively useless for anyone outside Victoria, correct?

cjwalkley said:
If interstate supporters wanted to guarantee themselves a right to accessing Grand Final tickets, they would become AFL Members with a club support add on.

So what you are saying is that I should pay my $300 and something full membership dollars to the Brisbane Lions and then also pay for an AFL membership in order to see my team in a GF.

Buulsh!!!t

I pay enough, why should I pay more. There should simply be more tickets available for members of competing clubs.

Lady Lawrence said:
So what you are saying is that I should pay my $300 and something full membership dollars to the Brisbane Lions and then also pay for an AFL membership in order to see my team in a GF.

Buulsh!!!t

I pay enough, why should I pay more. There should simply be more tickets available for members of competing clubs.

If you want to guarantee yourself of a GF ticket, then you have to pay extra. Collingwood and Essendon have been doing it for years. At the Lions we are 'lucky' that all full members are guaranteed a ticket.

You actually pay for your club membership as part of your AFL membership package, which will guarantee any interstate supporter a GF ticket if their team is involved.

If you don't want to do it, good luck to you, however don't whinge one week out from the GF. Conversely you could pay $1400 for a boring function and a ticket that comes from the clubs allocation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back