Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see us going for Brown. Even though, he is not an area we need youngsters. Just think he is the type we would go for, especially with Clark gone.

Even though thats true ...I think it will get to who we assess is the most talenetd. Backman , wingmen. whatever. WE can add pure mids..like with Constable and if the MC doesn't rate their capabilities then they will not get the chance to adapt.

Id say what we are most in need of is talented, quick youth...especially capable of winning their own ball.Lets hope there are a few available at out pick

Last edited:

On Egan, there must still still be plenty of people around the club who know how good he was (or wasn't) when he spent a couple of years as an assistant coach at Geelong before moving to Essendon.

On the question of Lyon as an experienced coach "challenging" Scott, the thing is that he, like 99% of experienced coaches, would take one in depth look at our list, and adopt the same, or virtually the same, game plan as the current coaching group because it's the most efficient use of the abilities of the current list; any changes would merely be tinkering at the edges.

I would say thats true although a new face that has no link to the current group might push for fresher faces quicker. I have no doubt it would be hard for Scott to tell players that he has had a hand in bring to the club that they are now considered fringe or VFL players.

If he see a need to change style to compete, see that we cant change with the current group, then he will have less reluctance to churn the current group... For example why did it take so long for DHouse to be moved aside. I think he will struggle to get back in now..with the addition of Stengle and the young players we have..thats the way it should be.

People calling for 63+ Choco Williams but others calling guys who are early 50s bygone relics even though they have coached 3 GFs since 2010 and understand the game of football like very few. People that get the best out of groups of men 🤦‍♂️

No offence but there is a fair difference btw some 30 year old development coach to a man who has that level of experience. If people (me included) want changes to the game style then you need ppl that understand football, where we are and where we need to be, have experience in teaching change, and the respect of our current playing group.

No doubt he is abrasive but one only listen to the way he reads the play..he would add that and experience.

I consider getting a coach with Lyon’s experience and understanding of the game is a positive for the club. The main issue is the relationship with Chris Scott. Lyon doesn’t look like a person who would enjoy being 2nd in command and will Scott be comfortable having Lyon looking over his shoulder. It might be that Lyon wants to be hands on involved with footy without having the pressure of head coach. He has been through that.

I consider getting a coach with Lyon’s experience and understanding of the game is a positive for the club. The main issue is the relationship with Chris Scott. Lyon doesn’t look like a person who would enjoy being 2nd in command and will Scott be comfortable having Lyon looking over his shoulder. It might be that Lyon wants to be hands on involved with footy without having the pressure of head coach. He has been through that.

I think someone who can call Scotty on a bad idea will be great for Scotty and Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not Geelong related but why would Collingwood delist a rookie only to select him again in the rookie draft?

Collingwood has also delisted rookie Isaac Chugg, but has committed to re-select him in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Think a few people have commented on this, however, I'm pretty sure they also need the list spots to be free to carry all those draft picks into the draft.
Once they have used those picks to secure daicos they will then re-rookie the players they have committed to.

Mmm you'd want to be careful with leaving Close as a rookie - as a lot of clubs would be interested in him after his year this year, I'd say. If anyone offers him a senior spot, he can just walk.

With that said, the biggest thing any club needs to do if they want a player on the rookie list, is to get them to publicly commit to you prior to the draft. If another club knows that the player wants to get to a certain club (like players getting re-rookied for example), then they'll never cut another club's lunch as the player has nominated their preference.

If he says 'I don't care where I go', then that's when you sign him as a DFA - as another club (Richmond for example), can just take him at any time.

For mine, I'm in the 'take him as a DFA if he wants us' camp, as Knightmare had him as high as 16th in the draft rankings in August, and has him as one of the best key defenders available in the draft - along with Gibcus and Alleer.

Picking up one of the best small forwards and one of the best key defenders, outside of the draft pool (Stengle and Schlensog), would be an absolute steal if we could do it.

Close has a two year deal. Can't be poached unless out of contract. Rookie list or not.
With the new rule changes there is no cap to rookie contracts either so staying as a rookie isn't a issue anymore. Hence why he can sign his contract before being elevated. I really like close, think he will play a lot of games for the cats.

I absolutely am with you re: Schlensog. I think we will commit to him and sign him as a dfa. He has been rated as a top 30 pick this year, so to bring him as a dfa with Stengle is a great result. Would leave us with 4 live picks in the draft plus the ability to bring in some rookies - if Clark/Rogers/brander are over looked, they would be rookies with huge potential of making it.

Close has a two year deal. Can't be poached unless out of contract. Rookie list or not.
With the new rule changes there is no cap to rookie contracts either so staying as a rookie isn't a issue anymore. Hence why he can sign his contract before being elevated. I really like close, think he will play a lot of games for the cats.

I absolutely am with you re: Schlensog. I think we will commit to him and sign him as a dfa. He has been rated as a top 30 pick this year, so to bring him as a dfa with Stengle is a great result. Would leave us with 4 live picks in the draft plus the ability to bring in some rookies - if Clark/Rogers/brander are over looked, they would be rookies with huge potential of making it.

Could someone explain what Schlensog has done in the past 12 months to rekindle Cat interest in him?

I can see us going for Brown. Even though, he is not an area we need youngsters. Just think he is the type we would go for, especially with Clark gone.

That's a big reason why 23 or 27 would be such big gets for us!
Taylor, Banks, Chesser, Knevitt at 22 then brown with our next pick would be a really good start.
I'm not sure we would take brown at 22 given that our primary aim at this draft is mids!
I really like the kid and he has pace and is a great kick!

Could someone explain what Schlensog has done in the past 12 months to rekindle Cat interest in him?

Went and played WAFL.
Impressed initially as a CHB - put a six week block together of absolutely elite football. Two of those games were forward and he kicked a bag of 5 and another 4 goal game. Showed massive improvement in his ability to intercept mark. Tailed off a bit at the end of the season and had some people claiming his one on one stuff looked a little shaky at times. However, to come from a Cat B rookie who played almost no footy last year to being talked about in the top 5 KPD's available and a top 30 talent in this draft pool speaks to how much he has improved playing regular senior footy. Only 21, i hope we get him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supposedly had a good year in the WAFL:-
Games Played In his career 20.
Goals In his career 16.
Kicks In his career 237.
Handballs In his career 69.
Marks In his career 135. Avg 6 per game
Tackles In his career 25.
Disposals In his career 306. Avg 15 per game

A full review of the football department the club has decided that the post drugs saga era of Essendon is exactly where we need look to take us to the next level.

"Whatever it takes."

Jokes aside, I'm sure the club will do thorough review of Egan's attributes.

So if they choose to appoint him, I'd trust them that it's the right decision.

Supposedly had a good year in the WAFL:-
Games Played In his career 20.
Goals In his career 16.
Kicks In his career 237.
Handballs In his career 69.
Marks In his career 135. Avg 6 per game
Tackles In his career 25.
Disposals In his career 306. Avg 15 per game
Was excellent in defence and a different player to the one we let go. I rate him but there are a couple of other mature players I would rather draft

Theres Plenty of talent in coaches that arn't in the afl system. They just need to be giving a go.

They have to be special. Id say it very hard to be outside the system...especially if they have not been in the system at some stage. Its a problem I think females will strike. Their knowledge and ability to teach is almost certainly good enough.

Hi guys, sorry to intrude, what you guys think of Blake Howes? Some phantom drafts in the forum have geelong taking him at pick 24..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I cant say I have heard a heap about him ... we probably have more needs that a 190cm HFF type but its down to our assessment of his ability .

An idea for a very very different approach - there are 448 AFL games available to a clubs players in home and away a year without medi sub- Geelong want to have the best of both worlds in competing and developing well we should embrace that challenge in its purest form - pick 32 players for example and each could have just over 15 home and away games if you commit to the model - now of course if you want Cameron to have 20 then Esava can have 10 but I think our biggest weekness is when it comes to the crunch we are too scared to rotate players and lose H&A games. We always limp into the finals so a squad approach is needed and let’s start believing in our players and be willing to lose by exposing them

An example of a future focused 22 next year- with Selwood in to avoid sacrilege - you don’t have to like the team but with the team and other squad players =32 - all could get 15 games and may the best performed play finals. As for continuity our ‘best 22’ this year - I’m not sure it ever got on the park together so we may as well embrace it

B: []Jed Bews[/], []Mark Blicavs[/], Tom Stewart
HB: []Jack Henry[/], Sam Dekoning, Mitch Duncan
C: []Sam Simpson[/], Holmes/Selwood, []Isaac Smith[/]
HF: Brad Close, []Jeremy Cameron[/], Francis Evans
F: Tyson Stengel , []Tom Hawkins[/], Patrick Dangerfield
Foll: []Rhys Stanley[/], []Cameron Guthrie[/], []Brandan Parfitt[/]
I/C: Holmes/Selwood, []Quinton Narkle[/], []Jonathon Ceglar[/], Mark Occonor

Other Swuad players: Stephens, Menegola, Touhey, Miers, Kolo, Atkins, Esava, Schlensog, Neale, Rohan

VFL captain centerman and all round clubman legend: Dalhaus - Vice captain and break in emergency AFL inside mid Higgins,
VFL Ruck The Greek

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back