Given there's no crowd should the GFC ask for Round 4 Geelong Cats vs Hawthorn to be played at GMHBA Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no blockbuster Easter Monday crowd to squeeze in or corporates to keep happy- surely there's an argument to suggest we should be entitled to play it at our home ground instead of Hawthorn's? It will all look the same on the TV...

Edited: fixed typo

Last edited:

Why would we wanna play on the G less?
It's where finals are played.

Agreed - but we've got to make the 8 for that to be an issue. I'd prefer to see us play our home games at home in what could be an even tighter season than normal.

Just out of interest how many games do you think it would take to make the 8 in a 17 round season? Does it stay around the 11 wins plus percentage mark or come off a game or two? I haven't got my head around it yet...

Agreed - but we've got to make the 8 for that to be an issue. I'd prefer to see us play our home games at home in what could be an even tighter season than normal.

Just out of interest how many games do you think it would take to make the 8 in a 17 round season? Does it stay around the 11 wins plus percentage mark or come off a game or two? I haven't got my head around it yet...
Fair enough. I honestly don't know. Like you haven't got my head around it yet.

There's no blockbuster Easter Monday crowd to squeeze in or corporates to keep happy- surely there's an argument to suggest we should be entitled to play it at our home ground instead of Hawthorn's? It will all look the same on the TV...

Edited: fixed typo
Yeah, 100% certain we should get all Home Games now.

And although Home Ground advantage will not exist for many clubs without the crowd, IT IS AN ADVANTAGE FOR US GIVEN THE GROUND DIMENSIONS.

Sorry didn't mean to shout. lol

That's true, but it isn't our home ground. We play plenty t the MCG, and I'd like it just to piss the Hawks off.

And Hawks to move the return game to Launceston to return the favour if still no crowds? We're all in favour of pissing Hawks off, but careful what you wish for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was mentioned on Footy Classified that Carlton would be asking the AFL to play some of their home games at Ikon Park while there's a lock out.

Surely if they get the green light for that, we should be able to host games like Easter Monday down here.

Was mentioned on Footy Classified that Carlton would be asking the AFL to play some of their home games at Ikon Park while there's a lock out.

Surely if they get the green light for that, we should be able to host games like Easter Monday down here.

I'm thinking it's more likely for home games to be held after the currently scheduled first 4 rounds (though I'd love all home games to be KP) - so maybe the country match in round 8 can be moved down the highway since it's our home game

I don’t see why it makes a difference whether it’s before or after round 4. We can play the game on the same day at the same time, only difference is the venue. There’s is literally no reason it shouldn’t be played at gmhba.

We get screwed every year out of home games, how about the AFL do right by us just this 1 time.

You're dead right, and there's no logical reason as to why it can't happen.

But watch them keep it at the G.
I will give you a logical reason mate - Hawthorn allways beat Geelong in Geelong

The last 12 games at KP between the clubs the Hawks won 9 of them

Just imagine they move the game down their this season - and the Hawks beat the Cats yet again at KP - with their supporters in attendance - it would be like what that cricketer Monty Panesar did to the London nightclubbers from the balcony above

Why would we wanna play on the G less?
It's where finals are played.
It's not like it's a hassle for fans to get there, can't go anyway.

It's where finals are played largely by contrivance of the AFL. And one of the arguments that comes up in justification of that is the club 'choosing' to play home games at the MCG during the season.

If the club wants to change this, and supposedly they do, this would be a good place to start.

It's where finals are played largely by contrivance of the AFL. And one of the arguments that comes up in justification of that is the club 'choosing' to play home games at the MCG during the season.

If the club wants to change this, and supposedly they do, this would be a good place to start.
True

If they won it'd be the worst though.
Always is. Doesn't matter the venue!
As it stands, if the season is to carry on (and that's highly debatable), they will need to spread the games anyway.
They are actually saying that some games might be played at Princes Park.
If we manage to get to Round 4, be prepared for some poo and wee coloured tears!

Avoiding plane travel will mean it's very, very, very unlikely any games will be played in Tasmania at all this season.
Or Hawthorn could stay there in utopia and play all their home games there.
Carlton applying for HG at PP.
Wonder if Saints, Dogs, NM, all teams with a true facility, could play games at their true homes this year, with the no crowd situation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back