Business & Finance Giving correct change at the register

Remove this Banner Ad

I almost miss doing nightfill for the simplicity of it. Open box, place contents of box on shelf, crush box. Repeat 400 times, go home. If it paid $100 an hour and not $20 I'd probably do it forever. Stress free and good exercise.

Working in a supermarket during the day ate balls, though. Internal rants in italic.

'Where is <obscure product I've never heard of>?'
'That will probably be in aisle 3 in the international section, I'll show you where that is'
*product isn't stocked*
'Do you have some out the back?' Yep, we keep products in the storeroom that we don't actually stock. They sell better that way.
'No, we don't sell that product sorry'
'Why not, they have it at Tesco's?' Well Tesco is a chain in another country, how about you * off there if it's that important to you.
'This is a smaller store, some of the bigger stores stock a larger range of international products'
'Grumble moan sigh whinge' Yep, it's clearly my fault. I call the shots for the entire Coles product range.

Fair point, but you get the odd customer who hands you the change and says "it should all be there, let me know if it isn't", then you can say either "yeah all good," or "you owe me another 20c". Takes half the time than if the customer was to also count it out.

I could be leaving retail in two weeks so all of this will never bother me again hopefully! :rainbow:

Yeah I try to do the courtesy of having counted it first. Often offload my coins at Maccas drive through. Find it a bit difficult when the price is not read to you or displayed at ordering, and then there is a sign saying please have money ready.

Good to see retail workers still complain about having to perform the job they're paid for, just like when I worked it.
"Ugh. I had a customer hold up the queue because the item didn't scan at the sale price, and she made me get it checked"

I almost miss doing nightfill for the simplicity of it. Open box, place contents of box on shelf, crush box. Repeat 400 times, go home. If it paid $100 an hour and not $20 I'd probably do it forever. Stress free and good exercise.

Working in a supermarket during the day ate balls, though. Internal rants in italic.

'Where is <obscure product I've never heard of>?'
'That will probably be in aisle 3 in the international section, I'll show you where that is'
*product isn't stocked*
'Do you have some out the back?' Yep, we keep products in the storeroom that we don't actually stock. They sell better that way.
'No, we don't sell that product sorry'
'Why not, they have it at Tesco's?' Well Tesco is a chain in another country, how about you **** off there if it's that important to you.
'This is a smaller store, some of the bigger stores stock a larger range of international products'
'Grumble moan sigh whinge' Yep, it's clearly my fault. I call the shots for the entire Coles product range.
Nightfill was the best school job. Especially when I worked it, stores closed at like 9 so you'd only have a couple of hours having to interact with the public then our supervisor would crank the music and you'd smash out your nights work. If you had some good people working with you it was a pretty great job for a decent pay. Don't think it even exists any more.

Nightfill was the best school job. Especially when I worked it, stores closed at like 9 so you'd only have a couple of hours having to interact with the public then our supervisor would crank the music and you'd smash out your nights work. If you had some good people working with you it was a pretty great job for a decent pay. Don't think it even exists any more.

I did it in WA pre extended trading hours so our shop closed at 6 most days. We used to start at 4/5 then generally work until 9 so you had minimal customer interaction and weren't there too late. Win/win.

What was the longest day you worked in retail?

Every week I would do a 12 hour day, 9-9pm on a Thursday.

And Xmas trading IIRC I did 7am-10pm. Was ****ing ****ed.

I remember doing nightfill and my normal shifts during Xmas at one stage, so it was 10pm-8am nightfill or thereabouts and then 3pm-8pm or something, only did a few days of it but geez the dough was good.

We really need Croweater here, he would make this thread awesome.

I did 8-2 at my retail job then 3-11 at my factory job for a few weeks one Christmas. They never let us work longer than 8 hours at the store because then we became eligible for overtime. Same reason all the nightfill staff left at midnight and the managers (who were on salary) had to finish everything.

Nightfill was piss easy, and I liked doing it since I also worked shop floor so I would actually know where everything is.

I did a 6am-6pm once, pretty sure I was only rostered until 12pm that day but kept getting asked to extend. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus afterwards, but it was a Sunday so I made a small fortune.

Did another one relatively recently that was 1pm-1:30am, which was surprisingly ok.

The longest we can rostered for is 9 hours, I'll get one or two those a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a 6am-6pm once, pretty sure I was only rostered until 12pm that day but kept getting asked to extend. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus afterwards, but it was a Sunday so I made a small fortune.

Did another one relatively recently that was 1pm-1:30am, which was surprisingly ok.

The longest we can rostered for is 9 hours, I'll get one or two those a week.

I worked at Lowes and they continually did this. Shitted the hell out of me- once I was meeting a friend 30 mins away and just said no and they got shitty.

I quit not long after that, like get your ****ing staffing right the first time you wouldnt have to do this.

umm, you expect me to believe that you just coincidentally happened to call out a jewish family for wasting your time counting correct change? what business is it of yours if certain people don't want to waste money anyway?

this is blatant antisemitism.

It pleases me greatly the only like on this post is a Nazi

I think I might have done a 13 hour shift. Generally didn't do more than 10 or 11, but did do a few 70 hour weeks over Christmas periods. Managers were too dumb to recognise that working over 40 or 50 hours in a week triggered overtime as did working more than 7 days continuously or something like that. I once did 6am-10am then 6pm-10pm in the same day with uni in the middle. Hardly worth it for what would've been about $150.

I was on checkout, and for a couple of years did a supervisor shift 5pm-midnight on a Saturday. We were a 24-hour store and once or twice the overnight checkout girl didn't rock up so I stayed until 6am as it was obviously impossible to get someone in at that time.

18 hours, midday til 6am at a 24-hour BP

I was planning on the first 12, then the overnight guy called in sick so I just kept on going. No breaks or anything but tbh it wasn't a tough job. You see any customers between 12:30am and 4:30am you're pretty unlucky

* yeah, it was a great job for high schoolers. A fair few of my mates were at the same supermarket at the same time as me, so it was great fun once the customers buggered off.

Had its perks too:

> Restocking chips (or shapes, chicos etc)
> Stab the box on the side a few times with the boxcutter
> Open the box
> 'Oh no, a few of these bags have holes in them. We can't stock these'
> Free chips

Because of a staff shortage one weekend I worked from 2pm Saturday to 7am Sunday morning at a Mobil servo. I loved working as a console operator as the pay was pretty good for what you did. Not that shift though.

I reckon we srsly got ripped off from our employer..

And those 12 hours days we got 2 x half hour breaks, one lunch one dinner. Surely that isn't correct..
It is correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back