News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The tickets this year have been interesting ... sitting in different spots. Two weeks ago V North .the seats I had in the bottom of players stand were that close , row , the back of Bay 17 .... I had to stand up thru the game. Too tight for me to be comfortable. I would not renew my seats if I had those seats as my regular default seats.

It seems like the seats and the vision is so much better in the brownlow when I have sat there to watch the VFL play. Does anyone know what it is expected be like in this last stage?

I think the Costa Cook stand has legs.

I mean it was both of them and they both deserve it.

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Saw this and thought ..how things have changed. The intro for the 1981 GF.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 11.08.04 am.png

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
No - Cook can miss out

It should be The Frank Costa Grandstand

Even a couple of years ago i read him and his brothers put in a few million to wipe out the remaining debt

He was the face of Geelong - Frank Costa - and he deserves a grandstand named after him

Arhhh ...pun intended.

For what its worth. I think its been the policy for sometime not to name stuff after living people.... so Cook is probably up against it.

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong
The GABBA dealt with this years ago where the grandstand overhangs a nearby main road. It comes down to $$ and the trust working with the city, vic roads, and whoever else gets a say in such matters.
Shut down Moorabool St, like Brunton Avenue and restructure all that eastern side. Yes...in our dreams and surely it may have been thought of ?
Minimum crowd numbers for home finals would be 50k, not sure what the current planned estimates are but anything less and opposition fans will whinge. AO has 50k, Perth is 60k. We deserve home finals, and it would be great for the big Melbourne clubs to get down there.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There will be no fantasy extensions. Once Stage5 is done... that will be the end of it for a generation or so. The demand of seats just would not make that type of Gabba stand economically sensible
I agree it won't be done for a little while, but it'll be ripe for demo in the mid to late 2030s after the great southern stand is rebuilt.

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
If there's no standing room in the stage 5 redevelopment, they should rip out the seats in the section I've circled below. Who wants to pay for seats there anyway?

View attachment 1161991

Great idea. Raise the height of it as well and move the scoreboard further back and higher up (there's enough room to do it). Turn it into a 'Hill' a la Adelaide Oval, with a bar under the scoreboard. It'll soon become the most popular part of the ground.

Great idea. Raise the height of it as well and move the scoreboard further back and higher up (there's enough room to do it). Turn it into a 'Hill' a la Adelaide Oval, with a bar under the scoreboard. It'll soon become the most popular part of the ground.
I'd love it if they brought back standing, but the days of open terraces are well and truly gone. What they could do are rail seats, which are becoming more popular in European stadiums. Stand in comfort, sit if tired, get a good view always

The_Koulouriotis_Fan

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
They interviewed the guy from the stadium trust and he said that there would indeed be standing room in the final stage of the redevelopment

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They interviewed the guy from the stadium trust and he said that there would indeed be standing room in the final stage of the redevelopment
There's a PDF floating around somewhere in this thread with all the diagrams of the seating areas. Need to look at it again and see where this mythical standing room will be

The_Koulouriotis_Fan

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a PDF floating around somewhere in this thread with all the diagrams of the seating areas. Need to look at it again and see where this mythical standing room will be
The interview is here if you want to listen. Gerard Griffin.

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

Can’t see it anywhere. It must be next to the unicorn stables and the bunyip enclosure.

Back