Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

From other thread:

So, BF, what is your best swing thought? Can be for any shot.

(Sorry in advance to anyone who reads this or the replies and it plays havoc with your own swing)

“don’t try to kill the ball”. Because my main issue is swinging too hard.

I’ve taken to swinging hard as a practice swing first just to release a bit of the adrenaline and tension, knowing I have to dial it back for the real shot. Given at this stage in my development my swings are rarely the same that seems to work. As I get better and more able to replicate a consistent swing I’ll start to practice my swing as normal

From other thread:

“don’t try to kill the ball”. Because my main issue is swinging too hard.

I’ve taken to swinging hard as a practice swing first just to release a bit of the adrenaline and tension, knowing I have to dial it back for the real shot. Given at this stage in my development my swings are rarely the same that seems to work. As I get better and more able to replicate a consistent swing I’ll start to practice my swing as normal
Try when you are setting up to hit to do a little waggle before you start backswing. Think of the club head moving through honey or syrup...just a tiny little tension on the grip...and a tiny bit of resistance on the club head...a bit of a floppy sensation. (bit hard to explain). Was literally thinking this last evening when having a hit and seemed to work.

On technique I’m working heavily on developing my driver swing. For right handers- left foot position?

background: I was born with a club foot due to cerebral palsy. Extremely lucky that’s my only issue given how impaired others with CP can be. I had massive corrective surgery about 12 years ago when I had stopped growing so I’m better off than what it was but essentially my left Achilles doesn’t have a lot of length which naturally pulls my heel up.

In the process of my back swing the heel comes up a lot. As long as I keep my body reasonably straight up and avoid swaying to my right leg should this be ok?

early on I’d been just half swinging my driver just to keep more of a balance, I’m fairly solid through the upper body so distance wasn’t awful (low trajectory and was still going 150-200m at the range) but technically I’d rather develop something properly

On technique I’m working heavily on developing my driver swing. For right handers- left foot position?

background: I was born with a club foot due to cerebral palsy. Extremely lucky that’s my only issue given how impaired others with CP can be. I had massive corrective surgery about 12 years ago when I had stopped growing so I’m better off than what it was but essentially my left Achilles doesn’t have a lot of length which naturally pulls my heel up.

In the process of my back swing the heel comes up a lot. As long as I keep my body reasonably straight up and avoid swaying to my right leg should this be ok?

early on I’d been just half swinging my driver just to keep more of a balance, I’m fairly solid through the upper body so distance wasn’t awful (low trajectory and was still going 150-200m at the range) but technically I’d rather develop something properly

Plenty of very good golfers in the past raised their left heels in the backswing.
1598602854577.png

But I would see a PGA pro and get them to help you build a swing around it. Yes the heel will go back on the ground and most of your weight will be on the left foot....with maybe 5% on the right (right foot is only touching the ground through your toes) at the finish of your swing. Maybe see an older pro as they will be a bit more familiar with the older type swing. A younger pro will know all the modern stuff...clearing hips etc. really well as it will be how they hit it.

Last edited:
Will see what a pro can do. The main issue will be that left foot balance. I’m very reliant on my right. In the 5 or so years past my surgery I actually switched to batting left handed in cricket to have more balance when playing off the front foot. Recent years went back to right hand for better coordination through my hands.

would be interesting what could be done

Will see what a pro can do. The main issue will be that left foot balance. I’m very reliant on my right. In the 5 or so years past my surgery I actually switched to batting left handed in cricket to have more balance when playing off the front foot. Recent years went back to right hand for better coordination through my hands.

Yes...Im sure they would love to work with you as it will be a slightly different for them and I am sure you will find a pro that will make it his mission to get you playing very well with what you have got. Keep us informed as I am really interested in where this goes.

Yes...Im sure they would love to work with you as it will be a slightly different for them and I am sure you will find a pro that will make it his mission to get you playing very well with what you have got. Keep us informed as I am really interested in where this goes.

thanks mate. Wait for me to come out of this with a Matt Wolff jerky type swing. As long as I can clear distance I’d be fine.

Fortunately it’s only my driver affected, just when I try to get that bigger coil

If I'm up that way I'll give you a shout out and we'll try get a game in if your keen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep us informed as I am really interested in where this goes.

Once I started to get into a rhythm yesterday I was focusing again on this. I can get it working if I time it right, as long as I strike the ball pretty well in sync with the weight transferring to my left. If the weight goes too early for the swing I can over balance, and that’s when I lose control of the club head. Or if the arms get ahead of my legs it hooks hard as I drag the club around my body.

Generally with my orthotics in I can get my left heel down enough to have some pressure into the ground on a wider base than just the ball of my foot, but I rock back quickly onto my right as a force of habit.

My partner hit 81 yesterday so is no slouch (he took up golf this year too and just is a natural), but my best drives were around he same mark as him so I’m confident some work with a pro will get me going.

Because my main issue is swinging too hard.
To be fair that's rarely anyone's issue. Your speed/tempo is more related to your genetics and even demeanour. It's part of your DNA.

You would likely make exactly the same mistakes if you try to swing it slowly.

Follow Bryson and keep the speed up!

YouTube Matthew Wolf. One of the weirdest swings you will ever see, but it works because at the key level of swing fundamentals he's nailed it despite the weird way he executes it.
I wouldn't worry too much about a textbook perfect swing, as in heel raise/heel stationary, it doesn't really matter it depends on your biomechanics, same as being slightly this or slightly that for any number of variables. I think beginners can get too caught up in the textbook technique and it hinders more than helps the golf swing (this is probably what ruined my golf swing just before lockdown, getting way too detailed on tiny things working on 10 different swing changes and my basic movements and swing fell apart trying to swing like someone I'm not).

Let the ball be the feedback, if a non-"technically perfect" technique works for you and delivers a good result that you are happy with, then who's to question it?

YouTube Matthew Wolf. One of the weirdest swings you will ever see, but it works because at the key level of swing fundamentals he's nailed it despite the weird way he executes it.
I wouldn't worry too much about a textbook perfect swing, as in heel raise/heel stationary, it doesn't really matter it depends on your biomechanics, same as being slightly this or slightly that for any number of variables. I think beginners can get too caught up in the textbook technique and it hinders more than helps the golf swing (this is probably what ruined my golf swing just before lockdown, getting way too detailed on tiny things working on 10 different swing changes and my basic movements and swing fell apart trying to swing like someone I'm not).

Let the ball be the feedback, if a non-"technically perfect" technique works for you and delivers a good result that you are happy with, then who's to question it?
Hows the golf/tennis elbow? going...dusted off the clubs, got the net out and had a hit yet?

I've basically rebuilt my swing during lockup...lol. Boy it's been an interesting time. Having the luxury of being able to hit endless balls in the yard and unlimited time to practice, it's been the perfect time to do it.

Ups and down omg. I cannot previously remember ever shanking a ball, and I have learned fast that horrible feeling. Many, many times. Fats and thins not uncommon too at times. Very inconsistent at times and then I think I have it mastered it at others after 30 or so good ones. Questioned everything many times. Serious amount of pain and being made to earn it, that's for sure.

And then there's my bloody launch monitor telling me I've lost distance nagging in the back of my mind. Dispersion is better though.

With my old swing, I used to basically coil like you were winding up a watch spring as far as it would go and then unwind as fast as I could. I was always under plane at the start of my back swing and then steep to the ball with high hands...but I was quite talented with these flaws. Shot shape was a draw....occasionally over doing it and with the odd push to the right also.

There's a lot more going on with new swing...I am more on plane earlier...then the club goes up (like your holding an umbrella) and then shallows out. When you get it right it feels sweet...butter soft!

The shanks and other s**t comes when things get out of sequence....or if I concentrate on those moves and I don't turn my right back pocket towards target...or left shoulder doesnt work down towards ball (so using arms too much and not enough body). Too much to think about and it is hard to change old habits...but I want to get better so I am staying the course.

I've been using the plane mate training aid and one of the main keys...and most will disagree with this...is you are swinging, or doing most of the backswing under resistance (except your hands...they are soft). Engaging your muscles/core but then relaxing at the top when you try to shallow the club (even a little pause at this bit)...then gravity takes over for a bit and away you go. My last week there has been a lot less of the bad times. I think concentrating on the resistance then relaxing has helped me get in the right positions more often.

I think I tend to get in a bit of a rut too hitting endless balls..fatigue takes over a bit. So I am starting with chips...moving up to probably 60m chips with say a 6 iron (little punch type shots you might do from under a tree to get back on a fairway) to feel solid contact before making full swings. I am treating every full shot like I would on the course now....hitting less of them but walking behind the ball, going through routine every time. Also if I hit 10 or so sweet I am stopping so I walk away feeling positive.

Last edited:

Yeah love Wolff’s action and the lesson behind it about doing what works.

This is gold:

Day’s first attempt...

Hows the golf/tennis elbow? going...dusted off the clubs, got the net out and had a hit yet?
Physio wants me to try complete rest for a period as its not responding to the rehab program :(

Have been working hard on my general flexibility and fitness, but very hard to rest the elbow when 90% of my job is typing on a keyboard which uses all those tendons, ligaments and muscles in the forearm that attach to the pain spot.

Slowly getting better, tbh once lockdown ends il get out on the course pain or no pain and just work through it, but am trying not to swing a club while at home.

Physio wants me to try complete rest for a period as its not responding to the rehab program :(

Have been working hard on my general flexibility and fitness, but very hard to rest the elbow when 90% of my job is typing on a keyboard which uses all those tendons, ligaments and muscles in the forearm that attach to the pain spot.

Slowly getting better, tbh once lockdown ends il get out on the course pain or no pain and just work through it, but am trying not to swing a club while at home.
I've had it for years. Mainly due to holding power equipment at work...but table tennis coaching and golf did not help too. I have just lived with it and put it out of my mind whilst playing and doesn't impact too much. Worst thing has been at work though when doing large trimming jobs and holding equip for hours. Can't imagine it's much fun for your work.

It is such a mental game. Played today and as I went on the swing was not feeling right, and scoring became harder. Came home and hit 3 or so balls in the net and it felt the same. Started going through my checkpoints and very quickly figured out as I do my hip rotation, just at the end there was a little sway away from the target (I know is a fault of mine). Addressed this and ball striking felt sweet again. I find it hard when you are on the course...and there is so much going on...thinking about putting, chipping, thinking about your last bad shot, talking to your mates etc. Bloody hard to really switch on and focus on the things I need to at times...and to work it out as I go.

It is such a mental game. Played today and as I went on the swing was not feeling right, and scoring became harder. Came home and hit 3 or so balls in the net and it felt the same. Started going through my checkpoints and very quickly figured out as I do my hip rotation, just at the end there was a little sway away from the target (I know is a fault of mine). Addressed this and ball striking felt sweet again. I find it hard when you are on the course...and there is so much going on...thinking about putting, chipping, thinking about your last bad shot, talking to your mates etc. Bloody hard to really switch on and focus on the things I need to at times...and to work it out as I go.
I've read a few mental game golf books through lockdown, almost everything you read will tell you not to fix your swing on the course. A recipe for a poor score.

Think of the target as you swing, Im about to play my second round back tomorrow, I'll tell you if it works ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back