Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree … Nank needs recognition for his game last night …. shows a calmness with ball in hand that defies his age & experience

He’s going to be a very good player
And yet is was only a couple of weeks back when he made a couple of mistakes you said that’s what you get with young players….

If we just accept that Smith had no impact on the game after coming on as a sub, that still doesn't it was a tactical error to make the sub. It might be a selection error to pick Smith, but nothing can be done about that during the game. You obviously pick the sub with the intent of using them at some point, and Smith did pretty well in the final quarter of the Carlton game and is an experienced player. Bringing him on at 3/4 time is pretty reasonable regardless of the results that follow.
So Nicks again instead of accepting it was a poor choice, spun bullshit again.

In Nicks we do not Trust

He and MM look like 100 plus gamers.

Worrell with the extra size is an upgrade on Doedee playing the same role.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Worrells extra 8cm on Doedee is even more relevant after Tom did his knee (first time) as he didn't seem to have much of a vertical leap afterwards. Opens up a lot more favourable match ups for sure.

P.S. This turned out to be longer than I expected. If you do not like long posts because they are long, please do not read on.

Agree that Violence full stop needs to stop.
Yes; male ==> female, female ==> male.
All domestic violence.
Ive seen women wacking men and men just having to put up with it cause they know they if they lay a hand on her hes in trouble for defending himself.
As far as I understood it, the moment of silence pre-game was about ending domestic violence and to pay respect to these victims:
"So far this year 28 women have lost their lives — 28 families who have lost a loved one to gendered violence. That's 13 more women compared to the same time last year. In April alone, 11 women died allegedly at the hands of men.".

I could not find hard data on men killed by female partners, only this in a statement from the Dept. of PM and Cabinet, 30/04/24:
"89 per cent of victims of intimate partner homicides were women." and this in Google:
" Four men were killed by an intimate partner in 2022-23 [in Australia]".

Fwiw, I agree with this:
"For decades women have done the heavy lifting to try and address gendered violence.
But if any inroads are to be made, it's going to require a coalition of men who not just acknowledge the problem but create a culture that calls out sexist and misogynistic behaviour that so often serves as a precursor to violence. " (ABC op.cit. above, my emphasis)
From the same article, incredibly, there's this:
"One rally attendee told the ABC she had been unable to convince her husband and son to come. They had decided it was a "women's issue"".

To clarify further --- that some men kill their partners does not make us all bad men. Not at all.
However, Domestic Violence and sexual violence by some men against women happens so often that women do not feel safe in normal social conditions that we men take for granted.
Literally, they live in fear, on a daily basis. Those women, ALL women, are our mothers, sisters, friends, partners. All of us are close to women in our lives.
I don't know what their fear is like because I am male. I don't second-guess what I wear when I go out, out of fear of unwanted attention or sexual predation. I don't check my car before I get in it in Parking stations or elsewhere. I am not afraid to go for a walk, solo, early in the morning or late at night. I do not carry a key sticking out of my fingers as a defensive weapon, just in case.

All I know and believe strongly is that it needs to change.

Oh dear.... not sure anyone has caught this yet, tempted to let the Port board know...

I've spotted Rozee trying to be subtle and stretch the hammy out less than 5 mins into the first Q.

He then feels his hammy, so you can bet he's aware of it THAT early into the game...

Footage is at 7.45 on the full replay

View attachment 1977850

Kenny looks like someone who won fan of the day.

THought the same thing. Definitely makes it easier to publicly 'own' something when it's widely known that they call as to whether he was ok to play or not would have come from others in the club. Take one for the team etc..

That's what I think too.

Ken just got on the front foot to take the bullet to control the situation.

Port's cowboy approach to player safety is definitely a cultural issue, surely no one believes that it's Ken who is making all these calls.

Last edited:
All that is fine, but the coach effectively saying smith was “good” is taking the piss as is saying we should agree with that, as Wayne did.
Ah yeah. Smith was low impact, obviously. I won't go so far as to say he was poor and I am aware of the pressure act stats and everything but certainly not a high impact player off the bench. Nicks didn't even need to comment on Smith's performance at all as he was just asked about Curtin coming off, so a bit weird he felt the need to throw that in.

Stopped a chance on goal with a tackle on Boak went Port were pressing.

Using him as an experienced stopper sub was a good move. To beat Port, we needed to apply a ton of defensive pressure, which saps energy. For a young team his sub role was spot on.

It was a predetermined move.

He should have come on for Cook.

Not Curtin.

Port in particular struggle to score when teams get extra numbers in their central forward area, so I can see the temptation to bring in an extra defensive pressure player. "Pressure acts" are all well and good but with the lack of HTB decisions paid these days the result is often that the ball stays in opposition forward area and opposition are at least a 50/50 to recover. Fortunately with Port, they didnt seem to have much of a plan to work around and mostly took rushed snap shots that missed. But in general I see that a way to go slowly backwards on the scoreboard. I would prefer we focussed more on finding more avenues to transition out of defence and back into offence. Easier said than done I know. But nothing puts pressure on a team like scoring goals at the other end.

That's what I think too.

Port's cowboy approach to player safety is definitely a cultural issue, surely no one believes that it's Ken who is making all these calls.
Ken is not the coach. He has no say in anything that happens on game day.
He is purely used to deflect pressure on Carr.

Carr's showdown coaching record is currently 0-3.

Had a quick look and besides the LOLs, I'm amazed J_Anus is still around. Thank God he/she/they don't post here anymore.

Without a J, they're just an anus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port in particular struggle to score when teams get extra numbers in their central forward area, so I can see the temptation to bring in an extra defensive pressure player. "Pressure acts" are all well and good but with the lack of HTB decisions paid these days the result is often that the ball stays in opposition forward area and opposition are at least a 50/50 to recover. Fortunately with Port, they didnt seem to have much of a plan to work around and mostly took rushed snap shots that missed. But in general I see that a way to go slowly backwards on the scoreboard. I would prefer we focussed more on finding more avenues to transition out of defence and back into offence. Easier said than done I know. But nothing puts pressure on a team like scoring goals at the other end.
Agree.

That is the next step and movement into playing and winning Finals.

Smith had 0 impact as a sub. On one hand I was happy we made him sub so we weren't robbing the other guys of game time for him, on the other hand I just dont get why the rush to bring him back.
Leadership.
Tries hard.
Most importantly, experience ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk:
- Port playing Rozee was just stupidity of the highest order. Their win loss wasn't going to be bad even if they lost without him so why risk someone like that when you could get them right?
I love that they played Rozee and I do mean LOVE :hearteyes:.

In fact, I've been giving out :hearteyes: emojis like candy in this thread but it's only because I LOVE when we beat the ferals.
And I do mean LOVE :sneaky:.

That's what I think too.

Agree, I wouldn't even think it's up to Hinkley.

Matt Crouch is a better player than Rory Laird, and I'll shout it till the cows come home. We would have won the Essendon game if Crouch played I have no doubt, he's the midfielder who does the dirty work and has the best hands.

I'm sick of the Crouch slander he's an important player for us.

Crouch's game not getting enough credit, very much up there with his Carlton performance. Just so strong in the contest and allows us to keep the ball moving forward. Putting together a strong season.

Himmelberg actually had a decent 2nd half after starting very slowly, still easily our best option until RT is fit. Our forwardline looks a lot more threatening with him instead of Gollant/Burgess.

Surely Rankine has a goal of the year contender? He collected that ball on the wing, broke the Houston tackle and then nailed the kick from 50 with the outside of his boot!
agree with all this except the bit about Berg. He is a dud and we will never be a decent team if he is in it. Can we draft the junior Murray in the MSD and try him out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back