News Good game has been cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

So wait, where's this silver lining because I can't see it?

I'm not a fan of either Hex or Nich Boy. And you can expect Channel 7 to put their own slant on things.

I didn't really watch Good Game as I'm normally (you know) busy playing video games at the time they broadcast it and I couldn't be bothered watching it on Youtube on iView, but I'd generally watch Good Game SP with my children on a Saturday morning. Even bought a few games based on their recommendations for the children to play (Trackmania Turbo, Little Big Planet III, Tearaway Unfolded, etc).

Presumably Bajo and Goose are remaining with the ABC for the time being.

And yes, I used to watch it when Bajo hosted the show with Junglist (I never watched the first season before Bajo became host) and stopped watching it for years after Junglist got the flick in favour of Hex.

You couldn't stop gaming for 30 mins a week to watch it? You don't even watch the show yet you're complaining, why did you even bother posting.

No silver lining for you then. Unlucky

You couldn't stop gaming for 30 mins a week to watch it? You don't even watch the show yet you're complaining, why did you even bother posting.

Mate, you think most people with work and kids have 30 mins spare?......

Mate, you think most people with work and kids have 30 mins spare?......

Well he said he was playing games so yeah I'm pretty sure that constitutes spare time

Well he said he was playing games so yeah I'm pretty sure that constitutes spare time

Well would you game in the rare spare time you had or watch a show about gaming?

Forums like these really give you no incentive to watch, other than for entertainment value.

They had the right balance when Jung was around, and a bit when Hex first jumped on, but the show gradually over time went up so far up its own arse it felt incredibly forced. When they pad it out with indy fluff, didn't help that much either.

As for C7, enough said.

100% their right to pursue new opportunities, but seems a bit odd and a bit rough to jump networks a few weeks from production. You would think ABC already had ideas to cull it in the next 12 months anyway.

Last edited:

I've watched Good Game on and off since it was Bajo and Junglist hosting it. As I posted earlier, I also watched Good Game SP on Saturday mornings pretty regularly with my children (when they weren't playing sport) and I even bought games based on their recommendations for my children to play. Seems like you missed that part of my post.

I watched Nich Boy when he presented Good Game Pocket, an online only show which I would watch at my office desk mainly because Good Game would tweet a link to the show and (for whatever reason) seemingly rarely tweeted a link to their Youtube upload of Good Game.

I would rather play video games then watch a show about video games, unless that show was reviewing a game I was interested in acquiring. This means I probably watched about 4-5 programs last year of the main program, plus the 10 year tribute show, in addition to Good Game SP.

I hope Channel 7 don't waste their talents, and I hope they come up with a program that is similar in spirit and style to Good Game, but given it's Channel 7, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Watched it on and off, usually just when i happened to notice it was on, but sometimes deliberately if I knew there was something coming up I was particularly interested in. But in the last few years there were just too many people on screen. It really needed to just be two people playing and reviewing games.
Goose, Nick, Dave were all surplus to requirements and detracted from the show's reason for being, IMO.

I can't imagine a commercial network being able to put something together that isn't heavily influenced by sponsorship, advertising and sundry other inducements.

Watched it on and off, usually just when i happened to notice it was on, but sometimes deliberately if I knew there was something coming up I was particularly interested in. But in the last few years there were just too many people on screen. It really needed to just be two people playing and reviewing games.
Goose, Nick, Dave were all surplus to requirements and detracted from the show's reason for being, IMO.

I can't imagine a commercial network being able to put something together that isn't heavily influenced by sponsorship, advertising and sundry other inducements.

I liked the variety Goose brought to the show and I found him funny, ditto for Nick. Dave yeah not so much

Yes, Junglist did everything single handedly on that show from directing to being the sole host

I think you don't know origins of it. It's as simple as no Jung, no show. He did build the show from scratch. Single handily? That's not so far off from the truth. Even if he of course had a staff, and people approving his show to go on the air, it was all depending on his vision and ethic to get it on TV. The extra host he got on initially was actually a good friend of his. He was even considering doing it by himself.

I think you don't know origins of it. It's as simple as no Jung, no show. He did build the show from scratch. Single handily? That's not so far off from the truth. Even if he of course had a staff, and people approving his show to go on the air, it was all depending on his vision and ethic to get it on TV. The extra host he got on initially was actually a good friend of his. He was even considering doing it by himself.

I heard the idea for the show came from a woman who had only recently left ABC/Goodgame team

I heard the idea for the show came from a woman who had only recently left ABC/Goodgame team

I just posted a podcast that discusses the origins. You're thinking of Janet Carr who was friends with Jung playing games online, and brought him in to ABC create the show and throw ideas around with him.

I just posted a podcast that discusses the origins. You're thinking of Janet Carr who was friends with Jung playing games online, and brought him in to ABC create the show and throw ideas around with him.

OK I'll have a listen to the podcast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super bummed, Good Game was my favourite half an hour of TV each week.

But there's a silver lining to this dark cloud

http://press-start.com.au/news/2017/02/01/good-games-hex-nichboy-launch-new-gaming-show-channel-7/

VWz6J.gif

Hopefully they get a Bigger Budget on CH7

OK I'll have a listen to the podcast

Yeah, it's a good listen if you want to know about Good Games origins. Kapowski (Michael Makowski) should get some credit, too. He sold the idea to Jung about having a co-presenter. Basically the key people behind it left a long time ago, and it became another entity in itself. I've just been waiting since 2009 for it to finally end, lol.

Yeah, it's a good listen if you want to know about Good Games origins. Kapowski (Michael Makowski) should get some credit, too. He sold the idea to Jung about having a co-presenter. Basically the key people behind it left a long time ago, and it became another entity in itself. I've just been waiting since 2009 for it to finally end, lol.

Well if you actively avoid it, isn't that as good as ending for you?

Well would you game in the rare spare time you had or watch a show about gaming?

Forums like these really give you no incentive to watch, other than for entertainment value.

I just know I've been watching it since 2008 or possibly earlier.

I still remember where I was when their aired the episode where they'd booted Jung and just plonked Hex in without any explanation

Biggest spin out ever

Well if you actively avoid it, isn't that as good as ending for you?

It's interesting, only recently after years I stopped watching it, I came across his interview about it's origins and how much of a impact he had on the show. It's sorta jubilation that his "baby" is finally ending. It's like with any show. The Simpsons for example. You can love the early seasons, but who really wants to see it go further and further into the ground, especially without the key creator.

It's interesting, only recently after years I stopped watching it, I came across his interview about it's origins and how much of a impact he had on the show. It's sorta jubilation that his "baby" is finally ending. It's like with any show. The Simpsons for example. You can love the early seasons, but who really wants to see it go further and further into the ground, especially without the key creator.

Phil Hartman?

Never really watched it but appreciated it was there. I guess between youtube and instant information via twitter etc a gaming show in 2017 just doesn't work.

It was more than just reviews, it was early access with certain games, previews, interviews with developers, look at issues to do with the gaming industry, interviews with indie Aussie developers etc etc.

A couple of live shows too which were entertaining.

I was a bit over it when they canned the good game t shirts so they could play dress ups and they ditched rubber chickens as a rating system.

The C7 show won't last long and Hex will be doing infomercials or on Dancing with the stars in 5,4,3,2...

I was a bit over it when they canned the good game t shirts so they could play dress ups and they ditched rubber chickens as a rating system.

The C7 show won't last long and Hex will be doing infomercials or on Dancing with the stars in 5,4,3,2...

Play dress ups?

Show wasn't half bad when I watched it, quite liked all of Bajo/Hex/Jung.

Done well to go this long with the prevalence of online coverage. Never going to compete with Gamespot/GiantBomb et al

Remove this Banner Ad

Back