Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we really reduced national team matches to shitty streaming services that no one has? How is this not on FTA, or at least on cable anywhere?

Show's how much you know anyone who's watched the A-League knows Riley McGree is a jet and Hrustic is a starter for Gronigen who are a decent side in the Netherlands and was being aggressively pursued by the Bosnian NT. O'Neill is tipped to make the grade at Burnley (and look how they're doing). Deng is going to be a great RB for us. Piscopo was on the books for Inter Milan and Torino and only went into Serie C for game time.

Then we have McLaren tearing it up for Hibs in Scotland and Brandon Borrello pre-ACL playing well for Kaiserslaurten. Our youf is fine you just sound like a pessimistic dick.
Lol
I'll take me apology

Socceroos set for 30-year first with ‘away’ World Cup qualifier to be played in Australia​

The green and gold will host an 'away' match after a surprise agreement was reached.

The Socceroos will play consecutive World Cup qualifiers against Lebanon in Australia this month with their opponents unable to host their designated ‘home’ fixture.
Due to ongoing conflict in the Middle East, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) had previously confirmed Lebanon would have to find a neutral venue for the clash scheduled for March 26.

After discussions between the Lebanon Football Association, Football Australia and the ACT Government, it was decided the game will now take place at GIO Stadium in Canberra.

It will mark the first Socceroos match in Australia’s capital since October 2019 and it’s the first time since a 1986 World Cup qualifier against Chinese Taipei, that the green and gold have played an away fixture on home soil.

“I think first and foremost we wanted to be good global citizens and support our counterparts at the Lebanon Football Association,” Football Australia CEO James Johnson said.

“We’ve been assisting them in the delivery of this match, doing anything we can to support them in what are difficult circumstances. Our game has an amazing ability to bring people together and our work with Lebanon is the perfect example of that.

“For all intents and purposes this is a home game for Lebanon, despite it being played on Australian soil. Our team at Football Australia will be doing everything possible to assist them in the successful delivery of this match.

“I’d also like to acknowledge Chief Minister Barr and the ACT Government for the role they have played in making this fixture possible. I cannot thank the Minister and his team enough for their commitment and hard work to date.

“We’re looking forward to seeing top-flight international football return to Canberra.”

"We’ve been assisting them in the delivery of this match, doing anything we can to support them in what are difficult circumstances"

Tells me that they've likely given them a financial incentive they couldn't refuse.

Given the middle East is between where most of them play in Europe and Australia I doubt it bothers them much playing there now.

In fact I would say having so much experience in the conditions was a massive positive against Peru, Denmark and Tunisia to qualify for the world cup and then win a couple of games in it.

Given the middle East is between where most of them play in Europe and Australia I doubt it bothers them much playing there now.

In fact I would say having so much experience in the conditions was a massive positive against Peru, Denmark and Tunisia to qualify for the world cup and then win a couple of games in it.
Qatar was admittedly a a great base for the players to bind and group together. Faculties top notch and neutral setting definitely helped v Peru.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be interesting when the squad comes for our next games in June if Harry Souttar will be named as Arnold does say have to be playing minutes to get a game... poor bugger can't even be named on the bench for Leicester

Remove this Banner Ad

Back