AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2016: Sydney v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Swannies. Best team all year. Deserve to win.

But I'm with snake. Don't give a duck who wins.

I'm firmly on the side of "if it's not St Kilda, then it doesn't matter who wins". For the record, the Doggies already have a better premiership record than us ... one flag since 1925 is significantly better than one flag since 1897 and they won their first one first! I won't be barracking for them as such but I won't be upset if they win.

The more I think about it the less I care if the Dogs beat us to number two. Every year someone that is not St Kilda wins the flag and gets to enjoy it, there is no point being constantly envious. Plus even if the dogs miss this year they are still better positioned to win before us.

I won't care either way, got mates who go for both so would be happy with either side winning.
I agree with this. I've been hoping for the swans to win for various reasons all week but at the end of the day I've got Bulldogs supporting mates in real life who I would love to see their team win for them. The "first to two" really is a bit pathetic to be honest.

I don't want to change the history books. I just want to experience that amazing feeling once in my life.

If another fellow struggler gets to experience it first I'm really not bothered. As long as one day we do too.

Not sure where all the "Swans will win by 10 goals" stuff comes from. It really doesn't make sense.

The Dogs have beaten them on their own patch for the past two years . so that shows their gameplan stacks up well against them.

Swans are susceptible to pressure. Their skills go to water under pressure like we saw against GWS. The Cats simply didn't pressure them. That simply won't happen against the dogs.

I can't see Sydney winning, let alone blowing them away. The Dogs have the best coach in the business who has his team playing a great combination of footy that has his players being disciplined and keeping their structure when they need to be while playing with flair when it is required too. He has done a brilliant job at educating his players on how to pick their moments to defend or attack and keep their defensive structures.

Dogs by 26.

See.. I thought GWS would win because of their superior KPP.

But, on reflection, adequate KPP is sufficient in the grand finals.

What a team really needs is their small forwards to be effective. Usually the team with better and deep small forward line do well.

Dogs small forward line just shits over Sydney.

As long as the dogs cover Franklin, they should be a shoe in.

Interesting to read all the different opinions here. From my point of view, whenever a Grand Final throws up a potential "drought breaker" (and that's not every year) I will always cheer for the team with the drought. Must be a St Kilda thing... In recent history that's the Swans in 2005 and Geelong in 2007. We had a damn good crack and just missed out (twice!) and it burns every day but why wouldn't you want other footy fans to have the feeling?

If you want to be negative - be negative at a system that despite equalisation and the draft still has had a small number of teams winning the bulk of the flags for the last 20 years. Be angry that rich clubs like Collingwood can attract bulk money thanks to that fat self-promoting campaigner Eddie and after a GF draw can turn up again and win because they can afford to train overseas and the like? Did you see the state of Moorabbin on the doco about the drawn Grand Final? And our team with those s**t facilities campaigned in finals for 8 years? A miracle.

I live in the west and the Bulldogs are so much more than just a football club in this community. They are part of its identity. And you may laugh but that is how people around here feel. The west has always been looked down upon by the rest of Melbourne and you can't change what people think. I didn't grow up here so I don't have that mindset... but that's what it is. It will be huge if they win. It will be like when Feralwood won in 1990.

The other quick point I want to make here is - the Bulldogs group is young and they want to shred the old Footscray identity. They are not buying into the "battler club" narrative and are creating something new. It was the same thing Geelong did to shed the "handbagger" tag. This is a great story and potentially a huge moment in football history. Why wouldn't you want it to happen so you can see it? And you know what... our young playing group are doing the same thing...

Go Doggies!

Just see the swans midfield as too strong a wall.

Dogs played the Hawks who have no inside midfield and then they come up against the Giants who lose their best inside mid half way through the game.

Jezza Cameron ain't no Buddy.

Swans by 5 goals.

Yeah I reckon the Giants had too many kids freeze in the headlights. Cameron spudded it up and a few just looked very average. At one point Zac Williams looked like he was the only one capable in their backline and he's average at best.They lost because their 4 most important players didn't do anything. Stevie J was the guy who lifted them i the game before but got himself suspended in his usual stupid way, Callum Ward was knocked out, Cameron went AWOL and Heath Shaw was like a drunk on roller skates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I reckon the Giants had too many kids freeze in the headlights. Cameron spudded it up and a few just looked very average. At one point Zac Williams looked like he was the only one capable in their backline and he's average at best.They lost because their 4 most important players didn't do anything. Stevie J was the guy who lifted them i the game before but got himself suspended in his usual stupid way, Callum Ward was knocked out, Cameron went AWOL and Heath Shaw was like a drunk on roller skates.

I reckon they had too long to think about it. Against Sydney they just went out there and played how they normally would. The fact it was a QF probably didn't really sink in. Add in the second chance and going in as underdogs with nothing to lose.

Against the Dogs they were favourites, weight of expectation, missing two leaders for most of the game.

They'll be better for it, and will come just as strong next year.

Anyway, back to the main game.

Anyone got any exotic bets on? I love a First Goal/Normie double.

Interesting to read all the different opinions here. From my point of view, whenever a Grand Final throws up a potential "drought breaker" (and that's not every year) I will always cheer for the team with the drought. Must be a St Kilda thing... In recent history that's the Swans in 2005 and Geelong in 2007. We had a damn good crack and just missed out (twice!) and it burns every day but why wouldn't you want other footy fans to have the feeling?

If you want to be negative - be negative at a system that despite equalisation and the draft still has had a small number of teams winning the bulk of the flags for the last 20 years. Be angry that rich clubs like Collingwood can attract bulk money thanks to that fat self-promoting campaigner Eddie and after a GF draw can turn up again and win because they can afford to train overseas and the like? Did you see the state of Moorabbin on the doco about the drawn Grand Final? And our team with those s**t facilities campaigned in finals for 8 years? A miracle.

I live in the west and the Bulldogs are so much more than just a football club in this community. They are part of its identity. And you may laugh but that is how people around here feel. The west has always been looked down upon by the rest of Melbourne and you can't change what people think. I didn't grow up here so I don't have that mindset... but that's what it is. It will be huge if they win. It will be like when Feralwood won in 1990.

The other quick point I want to make here is - the Bulldogs group is young and they want to shred the old Footscray identity. They are not buying into the "battler club" narrative and are creating something new. It was the same thing Geelong did to shed the "handbagger" tag. This is a great story and potentially a huge moment in football history. Why wouldn't you want it to happen so you can see it? And you know what... our young playing group are doing the same thing...

Go Doggies!
How lovely

I don't want them to experience any success before us because they are our RIVALS.

Something special about our rivalry with the dogs though.

If Man U and Barça were playing CL final, no way I'd want united to win.

I reckon they had too long to think about it. Against Sydney they just went out there and played how they normally would. The fact it was a QF probably didn't really sink in. Add in the second chance and going in as underdogs with nothing to lose.

Against the Dogs they were favourites, weight of expectation, missing two leaders for most of the game.

Chucking $15 on draftstars the multi-player bet thing

I've had a fiver on Dickson first goal into paaarker norm smith to collect $445. I reckon I'll have a few more tonight.

Won $1200 on varcoe/Bartell in 2011. I love the fgk/ns dbl. Tough to get but always a good collect.

Who r you having?

Id hate to think our club was so unprofessional and our players so mentally brittle that it would take a Grand Final win by another so called battler club to finally have belief that we can win it.
Whether Hawks won 4 in a row or Doggies get up for a miracle 2nd i dont think it means anything in regards to our future vision.

And for the record i think our future is tracking along just nicely:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back