AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2023: Collingwood v Brisbane

Who will be premiers?

• Magpies

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Lions

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniher's performance should give confidence that a King type can impact on the big day but we need to start getting him up the field more.

But the discussion about whether we pursue Ben should be done. We can get by with a lesser name supporting cast around Max if we build up the midfield and get some mids who can hit the scoreboard.

Daniher was good today, the only key forward that had an impact, Hipwood was awful along with Frampton, Mihocek wasn't great either.

Bobby Hill was really the only dangerous Pies forward, the old boys Pendlebury and Sidebottom were two of the best for the Pies today too.

The Pies will be in trouble when those two retire but they still look like they have a couple of years left in them unfortunately.

Lyon seems a pretty shrewd operator. At least we look like we should be competitive under him. A premiership looks a long way off at the moment but you never know what can happen with a few tweaks.

The last 2 premierships were won by older sides. Collingwood are a very mature and experienced side and really only had one bad year with a mass of injuries, mostly to backs who are their strength and then got gifted a generational player as a FS. We have a dearth of older players but Melbourne nabbed one against the current.

I remember thinking we looked a long way off the pace after 2008 too with both Hawthorn and Geelong looking a long way ahead of us.

Then the next year we went past the Hawks and we were equal to Geelong and should have beaten them in the GF.

A lot can change in one year and if we get the right trade recruits and draft well again we could bounce up to be a premiership contender.

Someone like Liam Henry could make a big difference for us like Bobby Hill has for the Pies this year, that trade basically won them a flag.

It’s getting tiresome congratulating mates on winning the premiership this time every year for the past 55 years. Was tougher than normal today and really struggled with it for some reason. I’m over it.
It's Collingwood doing it again that does it

They weren’t that bad. Very disappointed

Fair to say, you were right about them doing their glam pop instances, still better than Angry though.

It’s getting tiresome congratulating mates on winning the premiership this time every year for the past 55 years. Was tougher than normal today and really struggled with it for some reason. I’m over it.

Honestly man who ducking cares. Any team that's not us isn't us. What hurts more dogs dees or pies ? Its all the same.

If the lions won would it be any better ?

Wel get there one day

Honestly man who ducking cares. Any team that's not us isn't us. What hurts more dogs dees or pies ? Its all the same.

Wel get there one day
If you didn’t get a little hypertension from todays result you ain’t a deadset saints fan. 😂

If you didn’t get a little hypertension from todays result you ain’t a deadset saints fan. 😂

Yeah, I still haven't gotten over 2010. I'm not a nice person. I know less Lions fans than Pies fans so wanted the Lions to win. Why should others get to enjoy football.

Reality is run wins modern footy
Pies looked quicker , got it to outside and used it well
Lions midfield in centre clearance were awol
We are imo 1-2 gun mids short ….maybe a Dougal upgrade down back as well
I do think Pies forwards - even Lions looked more dangerous than Butler /Higgins….
Ok maybe few gun small forwards short as well…
We’re a bit short is the message

Wel get there one day
I do. I don’t give a s**t who won. Not sure how old you are, but when I started following footy there were 12 sides. I’ve seen 11 of them in one form or another win a flag. Most of them multiple times. There’s only one side that hasn’t won one. We all know who that side is.

I won’t mention the numerous new franchises who have been around for 5 minutes who have also experienced the ultimate.

It’s genuinely depressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else depressed or?

Yeah me and my St Kilda supporting mates are chatting about it now, just another bitter year of watching everyone except us win.

I'm sure Carlton will break their "drought" next year and then North will start their dynasty while we're waiting for 33 year old Billings to come good

Yeah me and my St Kilda supporting mates are chatting about it now, just another bitter year of watching everyone except us win.

I'm sure Carlton will break their "drought" next year and then North will start their dynasty while we're waiting for 33 year old Billings to come good
Yeah it's bullshit that Melbourne and Bulldogs broke their droughts and we're the only ones who are waiting all this time for a flag.

God I hope we come good soon. It's been a long time since we were even competitive but having some one in the top job that looks competent at least looks like a start. Collingwood people expect a minimum standard and the club meets them. I think we can at least expect that under Lyon. Hopefully he can set us up for a run at a premiership before he's done.

Yeah it's bullshit that Melbourne and Bulldogs broke their droughts and we're the only ones who are waiting all this time for a flag.

Yeah. My head will explode if North come good before us or Carlton and Essendon jump us and get one first.

I generally hate all the premiership winning teams but I liked seeing Brisbane beat Collingwood back in 2002 and 2003, I also liked seeing the Swans beat West Coast and the Hawks in 2005 and 2012 and the Dees beating the Dogs in 2021. Can't think of any others I have liked.

I probably would have liked seeing Brisbane beat Essendon in 2001 but I was too busy getting drunk at Oktoberfest to watch it. There was a place in Munich where you could watch it but I assumed Essendon would win again so I passed on the chance to watch it, I regret that now.

At least at our next grand final we will get a re United Oasis as pregame entertainment in 2034 😅

That would be the same time that hell freezes over.

Last edited:
God I hope we come good soon. It's been a long time since we were even competitive but having some one in the top job that looks competent at least looks like a start. Collingwood people expect a minimum standard and the club meets them. I think we can at least expect that under Lyon. Hopefully he can set us up for a run at a premiership before he's done.

Yeah maybe, if we get our s**t together this off season and draft some decent mids, throw off some deadweight and keep churning the list.

It's just hard to see it ever all clicking properly these days, feels like the list is conditioned towards mediocrity.

Yeah maybe, if we get our s**t together this off season and draft some decent mids, throw off some deadweight and keep churning the list.

It's just hard to see it ever all clicking properly these days, feels like the list is conditioned towards mediocrity.
The core of our next push isn’t conditioned at all. That’s the exciting part.

The core of our next push isn’t conditioned at all. That’s the exciting part.

This is true and I hope the players are listening to Ross and Lenny and not Billings and Clark

12 and 13 while getting rid of Gresham should be the starting point. I still haven't forgiven Gresham for sooking about not getting a gimmie goal vs Collingwood.

I'm genuinely scared that the AFL is going to conspire to get us over the line to break the drought and keep Saints fans happy and our next premiership will be a worthless charity win and most Saints fans would take it and beat their chests proudly about It.

Back