AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2023: Collingwood v Brisbane

Who will be premiers?

• Magpies

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Lions

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyon is going to at least build this wall with some mortar in it rather hold a sheet up in front of our shame.

Footy department spend is also on track for the first time in decades, possibly ever. Collingwood are the most successful club in footy. They've played in more GFs than anyone and have matched the Blues and Dons for flags. Part of it is incredibly high standards are demanded and players coming in have to meet them but huge part is that they are well supported and have always had a huge amount to spend on the best backroom staff.
You can be depressing as hell at times Gringo, but you certainly have a flair for a great turn of phrase. 😉

My 2 cents about the Grand Final.

An incredible spectacle and a wonderful advertisement for the game and for Melbourne as a city.

Both sides would have been deserved winners, Collingwood seemed to get some key decisions in the important moments of the game. DeGoey, Sidebottom and Pendlebery dragged them over the line.

Great result for the Victorian economy, discretionary spending things like air conditioners, new TV's, couches etc will go through the roof over the next few weeks.

They all need to push up a level. Billings, Gresham, Dunstan, McCartin and a pile of others were all going to carry us forward. So far Nas is the only player that we've drafted that looks like he's already 100% exceeded expectation and already in our top 6 or so players. King looks likely to step up with a full season too.

The rest are still potential but promising. If that generation plateaus into GOPs we are going to struggle to move forward beyond mid table. We have to keep using those first and second round picks on drafting youth and try to pick off players that are young but have unrealised potential in trades with the junk picks.

If SOS and Gubby have a couple of bad years they have to be under the most scrutiny of anyone in the club. Apart from Toce they are the most important people at the club just about. Get list management and drafting right and you're 90% there. McRae is a good coach but without his list he's going nowhere.
Yes, thank you for explaining what would happen if everything didn’t turn out.

2010 still destroys us. That's the driver behind it

I've not enjoyed a GF since then myself.
I love the club forever. But our performance in the 2010 Grand Final replay was putrid & left many of us with ongoing trauma.
We seek redemption, in part through some of the actors on that stage.
Whether this occurs remains to be seen.

Grand finals have lost their feel tbh. Just feels a bit meh now. Like repetitive. Nothing new has happened with them.

Even today's game heard people describe it as slow. Low energy.
And people on here think I'm negative FMD you have got me covered easily with that post

I do. I don’t give a s**t who won. Not sure how old you are, but when I started following footy there were 12 sides. I’ve seen 11 of them in one form or another win a flag. Most of them multiple times. There’s only one side that hasn’t won one. We all know who that side is.

I won’t mention the numerous new franchises who have been around for 5 minutes who have also experienced the ultimate.

It’s genuinely depressing.

Well yeah it is now
Thanks for that reminder lol

sad turbo GIF by Discovery Europe

Thought the GF was pretty much everything we could have asked for. I was barracking for Brisbane and had Kiddy for the Norm before the game. Was pretty disappointed for about 10 mins after the siren but it faded quickly. Hard not to be a bit happy seeing Moore and his dad embrace. Couldn’t care less about the Duckos narrative though.

The worst I’ve felt since 2010 was 2016, and I was actually going for the Dogs that day. But seeing them of all teams win a flag was heartbreaking once the dust settled.

But we don’t support St Kilda for medals and trophies. Those of us who did, bailed for greener pastures a long time ago. We support them for the stories and the drama. The actual football is mostly irrelevant unless it has a role to play in said drama. It’s the greatest ongoing soap opera of all time, and the stage just happens to be a football league. Jon Bois called the Seattle Mariners “protagonists not competitors” and I feel that’s just as fitting for us.

If we do get there one day it’s going to be ******* glorious. If we don’t, at least we’ll have lived in hope and enjoyed the ride.

I feel you. I was there in 09 and 10. I'm definitely younger than you. But no less passionate.

Every time I watch a gf I look at the losing team and cry a little inside cos I've been there.

But this sport is amazing. And I care deeply about it.

And I hope that one day I'll be on the other side just like you
yep i was also there in 09/010 and it is so hard to even get there let alone win one - yesterday i saw the pies with all their supporters such a big club with unlimited resources -father sons -everyone wants to play for them - and i found it very depressing

Thank heavens that’s over … and that I’m not in Melbourne for a couple of weeks so things can blow over.
(Sorry for the rest of you!)
I'll be booking into a convent for the next 2 weeks....!!!!!!!

Anyone know of any good AirBNB Convents ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Liam Henry plays def wing, he's no Bobby Hill. This guy could be the answer to that question though.

He is our biggest x-factor player and if we ever got that far, and held onto him, I'd put money on him winning a Normie for us - He did pretty well in his only final! He is a Big Time player and if we have to lose him, I would absolutely match anything less than a band one.

He is box office... and I don't give a monkey's if he's selfish or if he's inconsistent or even that his kicks lack penetration. He makes things happen down in that forward line.

Our delivery into the forward line is our biggest issue. Most Saints fans already know this.

Liam Henry plays def wing, he's no Bobby Hill. This guy could be the answer to that question though.

He is our biggest x-factor player and if we ever got that far, and held onto him, I'd put money on him winning a Normie for us - He did pretty well in his only final! He is a Big Time player and if we have to lose him, I would absolutely match anything less than a band one.

He is box office... and I don't give a monkey's if he's selfish or if he's inconsistent or even that his kicks lack penetration. He makes things happen down in that forward line.

Our delivery into the forward line is our biggest issue. Most Saints fans already know this.

I'm happy to keep Gresh if we play him as a forward.

Bobby was banging set shot goals from 50m out. Gresh wouldn't make the distance.

Back