Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Stratton did his pcl in 2011 or 12... Turned out okay.

With a PCL the news has to be good to be good. The news around Lynch's PCL is extended complications. He played through pain last year, swelling after every game, and recently this year had a knee clean up, and he won't play until at least round 6. A lot of knee surgeons don't actually do PCL operations.. they think it is too risky. It worked for Stratton... the news was good.

Lynch and Birchall both have PCLs... and we know how that has affected Birchall who had been very durable for 250 games.

i would be a bit nervous if I was a Tiger supporter.

Yep, these PCLs seem more problematic than most other common AFL injuries.

They’ll come for you :eek:
I don't want him to retire. I would love him to play again, but seriously, what the hell is going on with him?

I watched the interview from Tasmania and he looks like he has dropped 10kgs. He sounds defiant and that retirement is not an option...but at what point do you just pull the pin? I know you are a long time retired, but this issue he has is a ******* killer :(

I don't want him to retire. I would love him to play again, but seriously, what the hell is going on with him?

I watched the interview from Tasmania and he looks like he has dropped 10kgs. He sounds defiant and that retirement is not an option...but at what point do you just pull the pin? I know you are a long time retired, but this issue he has is a ******* killer :(

There’s 600k on the table, of course he is defiant. His injury has just been bizarre, I can’t remember another player that has been so close to returning so many times only to be out for more extended stints. I was really hoping we were going to see him last year, you always have high hopes that he could step back in and be that elite general from half back that he was for so long.

I personally don’t think we’ll see him for the first half of the year, wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him at all. That’s just my feelings

Experienced pair Grant Birchall and Tom Scully continueprogressing towards their highly anticipated returns but as yet, a time frame for their respective comebacks remains unclear.”

Birch is indefinite at this stage.

In the interview below from 2 weeks ago he says round between Rd 4-8 he may return to the VFL.. But on our site he is indefinite, either way you look at it it’s not good. Where did all the elite posters here get the word he will be back for the Geelong game? Really keen to hear their feedback, big call without any substance.

https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5892951/grant-birchall-confident-dark-days-are-over/

There’s 600k on the table, of course he is defiant. His injury has just been bizarre, I can’t remember another player that has been so close to returning so many times only to be out for more extended stints. I was really hoping we were going to see him last year, you always have high hopes that he could step back in and be that elite general from half back that he was for so long.

I personally don’t think we’ll see him for the first half of the year, wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him at all. That’s just my feelings

Harley Bennell is up there.

If that injury forces him to retire then he'll get the 600k through the AFLPA insurance....so money isn't the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair points mate, no doubt. I personally would have preferred to use that money on being more aggressive in the FA market.
Hmm imagine another 600K cap to go along with Wingard & Scully inclusions .... possibly Gaff or Lynch??? That would have been nuts!

Hmm imagine another 600K cap to go along with Wingard & Scully inclusions .... possibly Gaff or Lynch??? That would have been nuts!

I'm still waiting on the posters who claim they can't wait for him to be back for Easter Monday against the Cats to put forward their intel.

If that injury forces him to retire then he'll get the 600k through the AFLPA insurance....so money isn't the problem

It's 80% of their wage I think, Swanny went through it last year when he was playing at Westmeadows, he had to get the clearance from insurance and he had 450k at stake.

I'm still waiting on the posters who claim they can't wait for him to be back for Easter Monday against the Cats to put forward their intel.
I know you are/were a Birch fan but I’m with you on getting younger & exposure to the next gen. If Birch comes good, then great!
I am absolutely putting a line through him until he gets on the park.
Easter against the cats is a pipe dream until proven otherwise.

Lynch and Birchall both have PCLs... and we know how that has affected Birchall who had been very durable for 250 games.

i would be a bit nervous if I was a Tiger supporter.
ACLs might be a more severe injury but it seems the management/rehab/reconvery route for them is really clear.

PCLs seem far less predictable.

Greetings Earthling,
There would be an element of doubt for any player after an injury, be they a champion or not. Just a given IMO
I'd rather our club let Birch 'take up 600k+' with the view that he can be worth it, rather than flush the money down the gurgler on a spud like Vickery ever again.
The obvious counter opinion to the top 4 last year without him is top 3 or better with him?
I doubt him but I definitely don't dismiss him.

Who should we have brought in to replace Roughie without having to give up a draft pick?

While I most certainly wouldn't say that the writing is on the wall, I am quite concerned.

I just honestly want the bloke fit and playing again, it must be really frustrating for him.

Hopefully with him back on the park it accelerates the development of Scrimshaw as well.

Major concerns as to when we see Birch again sadly, very slow progress, hopefully we see him again at some stage as it would be so disappointing if we don't see him play a game in his last 2.5 years on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back