Grigg & Houli Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ignoring the Dimma love children thing. I do see them playing 2's. Maybe not initially but potentially. Depends on our pre-season and who will fast track.

Could we stand a raw young side going into 2017? Do we sprinkle a few harden players up 1st to be competitive/win? Drop them as others come on?
If Lennon/KMac/Cellis are fit and ready to go I would have them ahead of Grigg and Houli Round 1. There's enough good senior players to cover.

If Lennon/KMac/Cellis are fit and ready to go I would have them ahead of Grigg and Houli Round 1. There's enough good senior players to cover.
I'm thinking Yarran there too. Don't think Lennon is a swap for Grigg or Houli.

Not thinking of Grigg and Houli as best 22 going forward. Just depth. Depending on how we shape up in the pre-season and with trades/drafts we may see little of them next year. However they are there as backup. Not speculative. Known. A bit like when we bolster our VFL side with AFL players. Why not have more in the VFL we can call on as need be? That's depth - and just the start of it. Long way to go.

One needs to go soon. "Grigg and Houli" comes off the tongue too easily, it's like they are a two for one deal budget deal.
Well it looks like it's Grigg sooner.

Yes it does seem like a budget deal. What do you think of them short term depth if we get others up and running. Note the phrase short term.

Said it before. Grigg is disposable and Houli is worthy in a good side.
The only thing I'd give Grigg credit for going forward is being a more mature head. Think talent wise we have some coming forward.

Would like to see a mental grit in this side. For all the Newman played too long group. I'd just like to say there was maturity in his play whilst not at his best physically, his mentality was really noticeable.

Not seeing the same this year from leaders.

Houli and Grigg were never going to be of use to other clubs. Not trade bait. Why not keep them on for depth? Especially Houli while we get our other run and carriers going. We don't know the terms of their contracts but I'm not against them spending some time in the VFL and helping in the development of our up and comings. Same for Ivan although he's not re-signed but wouldn't mind him helping out with ruck development.
So there of no use to any other club , but useful to the RFC ??? Meh meh this is why I would just delist them. Nope the DH way.

So there of no use to any other club , but useful to the RFC ??? Meh meh this is why I would just delist them. Nope the DH way.
I get what you are saying. But I'm thinking depth. Ok you want A/B players as depth? We don't have any depth. The likes of these 2 give us a base. I'm not thinking going forward they will be 1st 22.

Can anyone see the day when we have AFL players on our VFL list up and ready?

I get what you are saying. But I'm thinking depth. Ok you want A/B players as depth? We don't have any depth. The likes of these 2 give us a base. I'm not thinking going forward they will be 1st 22.

I would have thought as a poster stated that Kmac Lennon Menadue are better replacements.
I like the idea of our VFL players having guys like Kirby Aartes who have either missed being drafted or are ready to go in the draft who have potential or upside. Houli and Griggsy have peaked
and have always been outside players who don't have a proper defensive side to their games. Griggs is a guy that is not much better at VFL to afl and offers nothing more. Houli is a class above VFL , but skills drop off under afl pressure even when he has space bc he is a panic merchant. If his ability to measure time and space could improve so he does not rush or panic he would be a much better player. Still remember in 2013 b4 HT in the EF he was streaming down the wing with nobody around him yet he kicked the ball early rather than carried it and missed the target for a turnover goal. He's made this mistake about four times since coming back and even his hand balling is going along the same path. I like the idea of moving these guys on bc there are lot of kids you can look at that these guys can be replaced with. It would be interesting if they were put under the Wayne Campbell test how many clubs would want them.

I would have thought as a poster stated that Kmac Lennon Menadue are better replacements.
I like the idea of our VFL players having guys like Kirby Aartes who have either missed being drafted or are ready to go in the draft who have potential or upside. Houli and Griggsy have peaked
and have always been outside players who don't have a proper defensive side to their games. Griggs is a guy that is not much better at VFL to afl and offers nothing more. Houli is a class above VFL , but skills drop off under afl pressure even when he has space bc he is a panic merchant. If his ability to measure time and space could improve so he does not rush or panic he would be a much better player. Still remember in 2013 b4 HT in the EF he was streaming down the wing with nobody around him yet he kicked the ball early rather than carried it and missed the target for a turnover goal. He's made this mistake about four times since coming back and even his hand balling is going along the same path. I like the idea of moving these guys on bc there are lot of kids you can look at that these guys can be replaced with. It would be interesting if they were put under the Wayne Campbell test how many clubs would want them.
Yes I think Houli and Grigg peaked.. Think they give some 'wise heads' in depth. Looking for transition and holding until the baton is passed.

Makes no difference , simply not in our window.

Absolute crazy decision and North dropping Harvey highlights the absurdity of RFC's decision.

I would be stunned if their is no board challenge, talk about desperate empire building to the end!!
Yep a bloke who's knocking on 40 years has relevance to us. Not.

Yep a bloke who's knocking on 40 years has relevance to us. Not.

Harvey would have far more output for us and leadership at RFC in 2017 than Houli thats for certain.

At least players could learn from Harvey.

Was kinda hoping Grigg traded to North to replace Dal Santo.

What does Houli teach? How to be a link player?

I'm thinking Yarran there too. Don't think Lennon is a swap for Grigg or Houli.

Not thinking of Grigg and Houli as best 22 going forward. Just depth. Depending on how we shape up in the pre-season and with trades/drafts we may see little of them next year. However they are there as backup. Not speculative. Known. A bit like when we bolster our VFL side with AFL players. Why not have more in the VFL we can call on as need be? That's depth - and just the start of it. Long way to go.
400k depth players? It's become a very comfortable place to work. Very little accountability across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as they're on wages reflective of a depth player then that's fine. We will probably never know though.

Can't see why people are angry about Grigg being extended for one year. Very much still in our best 25 or so players and will play 10+ games next year no doubt. When you consider that we may be trading a bloke like Conca out, its hard to fault this decision.

Wouldn't have minded Houli to just get the one, but hard to fault the blokes form coming back from injury. An important player for us, and will be again next season whether people like it or not.

Can't see why people are angry about Grigg being extended for one year. Very much still in our best 25 or so players and will play 10+ games next year no doubt. When you consider that we may be trading a bloke like Conca out, its hard to fault this decision.

Wouldn't have minded Houli to just get the one, but hard to fault the blokes form coming back from injury. An important player for us, and will be again next season whether people like it or not.
Grigg yo-yo's between 'spud that is wasting a spot', to 'important, underrated member of the team' depending on how the board is feeling.

Looks like the VFL will have a bit more depth next season!

Either that or our on-field decision-making at AFL level will remain poor...

Appalling decision to extend contracts for these 2 list cloggers.

These players epitomise the failings of the Richmond over the years as they are both slow, soft turnover merchants without the grunt or ticker to help the club win finals. These 2 are fringe players who wouldn't be on a good clubs list.

Richmond keep making all the wrong calls.

Houli is a very important o us playing an attacking game style. He is a good player that needs more support around him so that he can really translate us from defense to attack. And his defense is OK. People saying he has sucked this year - he's been out for most of it.

Grigg is a B grade runner with decent skills and ... that's about it. He'd be fairly cheap and offers depth and experience. every club keeps players like that on the list. One year says that they are looking at the youngsters taking his spot. And awesome if that happens. I'd rather Menadue any day, if he develops as he should. But until the young guys force him out he should stay. You build a squad, and have to accept that guys like Grigg are important because you can't get 30 first round picks - Hmm GC/GWS.

Houli is a very important player for us, his field kicking is one of our big weppons. Grigg on the other hand I am not sure about resigning him, if we don't make the finals next year I don't think he is part of the rebuild and our future.
Probably why we only signed him for a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back