VFL GWS VFL 2023 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Derkson close to a debut? Followed him when he was playing for Peel and really rated him seems to have kicked a few bags with you guys, what’s the knock on him?

I hope an opportunity opens after the bye for Derksen.

Just kicked his 4th.

Can imagine a number of recruiting scouts watching his performances and offering more time in the firsts with his contract up this year.
How are the rest of the listed players going. Southport are good side, so some must be playing well.

How are the rest of the listed players going.
Both Riccardi and Brown did extremely well today IMHO.

Riccardi kicked 5, Brown 2.

Brown is looking really good. Riccardi still seems a bit tentative, but now that he is kicking goals, perhaps the rest of his game will improve.

Hogan was a late out and gotta say, the forward line looked a whole lot better.

TFG is well.....TFG. Bedford is a live wire, so the small forwards are OK, not forgetting Daniels.

Derksen, at the moment, looks to be stuck in the VFL for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown is looking really good. Riccardi still seems a bit tentative, but now that he is kicking goals, perhaps the rest of his game will improve.

TFG is well.....TFG. Bedford is a live wire, so the small forwards are OK, not forgetting Daniels.

I was talking about VFL. I was at the AFL game, an impressive performance by many. I think we are better off still with Hogan but Keefe occupied Pearce. With winning the clearances and freo not playing that well is I think is why the forward line looked better.

Last edited:

I watched both VFL and AFL games on TV. If Hogan remains out injured, I would bring in Derksen instead of Cadman. Derksen has not only been consistently kicking goals but with his mobility/athleticism he has been competing around the ground and making opportunities for others. Cadman today continued to be out of sorts and sometime in the VFL may help him to find his mojo (and the ball). He will continue to develop but he is still a first year KPF and will naturally have his ups and downs.

Flynn hasnt shown me anything to say he will be back in the 1sts.
He played forward quite a bit, probably to give Madden more opportunities or to give Flynn time to develop into a Lobb-type role.

No one has mentioned Gruzeswski. He had another excellent game. I suspect the coaches are thinking he has greater upside than Derksen and might get a debut first.

Leek has to be close to consideration. He looked pretty good - as did Fleeton.
Peatling had a lot of the ball, but I think his disposal was erratic. Rowston, Wehr and Fahey were all solid without standing out in particular.

Interesting to be at a point where the team is playing well enough for players to be considered 'unlucky' if they're dropped.

e.g. who would you drop for Hogan to return? Cadman? Then Brown to the bench?

Does Keefe make way for Cumming?

Who makes way for Aleer? Wehr? Perhaps they'll have to wait for the opportunity on the VFL.

All of a sudden, it's not that easy.

Cadman is struggling but I guess it’s unsurprising as he has only played one year of junior footy as a forward.

His natural talent allowed him to shine but at senior level you need to understand leading patterns, learn the team tactics and require a big strong senior body.

I think he will be a good player but he needs 3 or 4 pre-seasons to build a body and really work on forward craft. Getting games into him now where his output is low is not harmful as it helps him to develop and understand how far away he is.

On another note I’m watching Mac Andrew and by gee he’s still a long way off. Has some interesting specs but he is so positionally naive and looks years away. Very happy with Finna.

Interesting to be at a point where the team is playing well enough for players to be considered 'unlucky' if they're dropped.

e.g. who would you drop for Hogan to return? Cadman? Then Brown to the bench?

Does Keefe make way for Cumming?

Who makes way for Aleer? Wehr? Perhaps they'll have to wait for the opportunity on the VFL.

All of a sudden, it's not that easy.
If Hogan comes back for Cadman then consider Derksen for Keeffe; otherwise Derksen for Cadman. Also having watched both AFL and VFL games I'd prefer Flynn to Keeffe for the role the latter was playing. Flynn was good (not great) but did present well as a target up forward and around the ground. I thought Keeffe came in originally to subdue Hawkins, but he has stayed in as a back-up ruck/forward option. I think going forward (no pun intended) the younger Flynn or Derksen would be better, but hey; it is a winning team.

Last comment: 'All of a sudden, it's not that easy'.

Yeah, great isn't it?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back