Play Nice Héritier Lumumba blasts Collingwood's racist treatment of him during his career (Civil discussion please)

Remove this Banner Ad

All this happened under mick salty malthouses watch. So strange he gets away with attacking bucks who only coached him for a year yeah?
I thought he said this only happened under Buckley- not Malthouse.
It's pretty clear that Buckley had plotted this abuse for years- cunningly getting hired as an assistant coach under Malthouse and biding his time until Mick left until he could unleash his reign of terror on the artist formerly known as H.

I believe the crucial piece of the puzzle is Mark Neeld- he obviously is a warrior for inclusivity and culture - he was Malthouse's right hand man and then Moved to Melbourne- where he clearly ensured a culture of perfection, paving the way for H to move to such a positive environment- despite Neeld being brutally axed for calling out and attempting to change an unprofessional and pathetic culture

I've been a collingwood fan my whole life and I liked him as a player but have no problem turning on this clown. Its so clear and must be said that if he was still playing and getting $500,000 a year he would not be bringing this up. Just because he can't find a job or a way of making a living now should not allow him to go back in time

I played cricket with a bloke who was known as Chimpy.

I didn't even know his real first name until I had been at the club for months.

He was a white guy. But he did kinda look like a chimp.

Was I a 'racist' for calling him what everybody else called him?
Because he was white, then no.

Was his real first name Lancelot?

I've been a collingwood fan my whole life and I liked him as a player but have no problem turning on this clown. Its so clear and must be said that if he was still playing and getting $500,000 a year he would not be bringing this up. Just because he can't find a job or a way of making a living now should not allow him to go back in time

You do have to question why he stayed at Collingwood for so long when it was apparently such an awful racist place, it seems like it only became an awful racist place when he wasn't collecting a big fat pay cheque from them anymore.

You do have to question why he stayed at Collingwood for so long when it was apparently such an awful racist place, it seems like it only became an awful racist place when he wasn't collecting a big fat pay cheque from them anymore.

In workplaces all around the country, folks endure all kinds of unethical and illegal treatment because they need a paycheck. That doesn't justify said treatment, nor should it preclude one from later seeking justice and redress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

usually such cases settle pre-mediation. An up-side is going forward we won't be hearing any more from Harry.

we used to have a guy in our under 16 footy team and he was half aboriginal. I'm not sure because we were kids but we called him abo and no one thought anything of it. He was a good bloke and if he would have had a quiet word to someone in the team that he didn't like it we all would have respected his decision. Surely same applies to O'Brien he was well respected among the club if he spoke calmly to the group and just said I don't like it they would have stopped. I do know many basketball players from Melbourne who have gone to an American college and being the only white guy in the team over there. There were friendly racist jokes towards them and it didn't bother them one bit they thought it quite funny

These days that would depend on whether a third-party was present and offended on his behalf.

usually such cases settle pre-mediation. An up-side is going forward we won't be hearing any more from Harry.

I would be surprised if this went away with a bank cheque and another hollow appology. They already tries that and the Pies have been called out.

Collingwood and the AFL do not want their brands damaged in court. Just think about the witnesses who could be called to testify under oath what occurred. Papers will have a field day.

Buckley has to go if we find out he was calling him chimp regularly or let it happen.

As if Eddie would ever sack Buckley, he could turn up to Collingwood training wearing a Ku Klux Klan outfit and he wouldn't get sacked.

As if Eddie would ever sack Buckley, he could turn up to Collingwood training wearing a Ku Klux Klan outfit and he wouldn't get sacked.

Might not have a choice sponsors wouldn't want to be associated with a team coached by a guy that called a black player a chimp for a decade.

Was it actually because of his looks or did he used to give David glascott wristies as a party trick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back