FTA-TV Halt and Catch Fire

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
So, the pilot has been out for a week and the series proper starts this weekend. What are peoples thoughts?

So far the casting seems good, not big names as is AMC's style, but two of the three leads (Lee Pace, Kerry Bishe) especially seem to have a magnetic onscreen presence. Both are common archetypes (genius rebel, cutthroat entrepreneur), but don't seem stale. The episode, like most pilots was a great intro to the series, but was slightly disjointed or quick to lay out the premise of the show.

The 80's and the PC revolution is a great setting for the series. Coding, IP theft and transformative technology are hot button issues and if they can tap into the cultural zeitgeist of the 80's, so fast living and the pioneering spirit, or sub cultural phenomena, like the rise of computer games, cyberpunk and phreaking culture, much like Madmen did with it's time period, I think they could have a huge winner.

However, it's not just enough to have good writing, or a neat idea, it also needs to be immersive, so I hope the writers have given the story a chance to breathe and exist in that time period, with episodic content as well, not just be central plotline driven.

The pilot is intriguing, very intriguing, without having blown me away. The first episodes main theme seems to be risk, I like that and it hints at a driven but highly self conflicted and even self destructive main character. AMC's most popular three series have either flirted with this, or downright embraced it and built the show around it, its captivating if done right and can avoid being cliched, hopefully then this is a good sign for the future. The show is either going to be a big hit, or miss. Personally, fingers crossed for the former because it is a great time period and AMC are at a crossroads and need a winner.

Last edited:
Pacman.gif

Fairly formulaic beginning. Nevertheless: 'In'

They managed to develop some pretty strong characters early on though.

The script is good; the acting is decent. I guess the key is now what they do with it.

Shows promise for mine though.

the car park scene was utter tripe, but i liked the rest, i'm not as caught up in the mystery of Joe's backstory as i should be

once IBM started raiding i wasn't expecting him to be out of answers, so that was weird

and the wife will struggle to be interesting in any arc they involve her in

but theres something about it this show i like

"Carl's a no" was the best line of the ep :)

the car park scene was utter tripe, but i liked the rest, i'm not as caught up in the mystery of Joe's backstory as i should be
What I liked about that scene, was when they were there the next morning and she points out that he was full of s**t and he just smiles.

Not in the "oh you caught me" way hurhurhur, but in a kind of unsettling way. He is seeming less Don Draper and more post breakdown/mild psychopath.

He isn't smooth, doesn't know the angles and doesn't have the answers at all. In fact, he seems more tech entrepreneur, or delusional ideas guy, than salesman. I wonder if this is where they are going.

Also, the girl isn't that sympathetic a character, nor that badass and more kind of frustrated and a little autistic.

So are they going for cliches and just haven't written them well, or are the characters facades going to quickly slip and actually be quite intriguing.

I agree with evo though, the overall story arch is what has drawn me in, however I would like a little more continuity and for each episode to be a little more standalone in the way it explores conflicts and themes.

other than being on AMC i don't get a Mad Men vibe at all

a guy with a secret or mysterious past doesn't equate to Don Draper to me

not directed at you divide, just some reviews have completely written this show off already and the overuse of the comparison has got me buggered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still loving the soundtrack. The plot is still engaging as well - I'm intrigued how they are going to build the PC.

I find the software girl's character a little overdone. Yeah, yeah she's a cyberpunk with underlying genius, we get it. My early sense the she was going to be cliche is proving to be true.

the head hardware engineer's character is a lot more realistic.

I'm still loving the soundtrack. The plot is still engaging as well - I'm intrigued how they are going to build the PC.

I find the software girl's character a little overdone. Yeah, yeah she's a cyberpunk with underlying genius, we get it. My early sense the she was going to be cliche is proving to be true.

the head hardware engineer's character is a lot more realistic.

Agreed Cameron does nothing for me.

The other two major players are well cast and intriguing, not sure how far this can go but I'm enjoying it for what it's worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back