Streaming Daisy Jones and the Six

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve read the book and watched the first episode. I feel like Riley and Suki should have swapped characters but aside from that it’s ok. I’m looking forward to watching the next two eps when I get a chance because I bloody love the book and hope the series lives up.

The first few episodes had some real pacing problems, took ages for anything to happen with the band, then they became popular really fast and stuff went haywire, and this was before daisy joined.

I think Riley Keough is doing well with a reasonably unlikeable character at times, Sam Claflin seems older than he is when next to his wife on the show (who is stunning and will be a star at some point), the rest of the cast don’t have a lot to do unfortunately.

The first few episodes had some real pacing problems, took ages for anything to happen with the band, then they became popular really fast and stuff went haywire, and this was before daisy joined.

I think Riley Keough is doing well with a reasonably unlikeable character at times, Sam Claflin seems older than he is when next to his wife on the show (who is stunning and will be a star at some point), the rest of the cast don’t have a lot to do unfortunately.
Yeh it only picked up once she joined. She’s probably the most likeable of the lot IMO

Still trying to work out if I like it or not. Haven't watched the last two eps, so these comments made without that knowledge.

Things that are annoying:
  • Unlikeable lead characters. Usually I'd say that I prefer imperfect characters, but there's something about Daisy and Billy which s**t me. I like the Billy teetotaling angle, but it seems only a matter of time before he falls off the wagon.
  • Music biopic tropes. Ugh, I'm kicking myself for using the term tropes, but I really feel like I've seen so much of this before. Actually, I'd prefer just to see a biopic on Fleetwood Mac, or is that that what I'm watching?
  • Other band members not fleshed out. By overly focusing on Billy and Daisy, the other are getting ignored. Eddie seems like he only exists to (a) provide a source of conflict between Billy and Camila; and (b) to play the ignored talent. Warren is simply comic relief and Graham and Karen and largely ciphers. I'm guessing the book is better in this regard.
  • Timothy Oliphant's wig.
Things that are good:
  • The music. Have found myself humming a few of these songs around the house. I understand a number of artists/songwriters combined to recreate the sound of the era.
  • While cliche, I think the moments when everything clicks in rehearsals/recording/performance are captured pretty well.
  • Rollerball is an underrated film.

Some of the story lines were quite different to the book. For example:
Karen didn't want anyone to know about her relationship with Graham so it was totally kept under wraps
There was another member of the band (which is why in the show, Camila was weirdly shoehorned in as the sixth
The time difference between past and present is way longer - like 20 or 30 years longer
Karen's not British
They don't have to chase Rod or Teddy
The band is successful even before Daisy joins them
A lot of the song lyrics were changed
BILLY DOESN'T KISS DAISY - he goes home to Camila
There's no affair between Camila and Eddie
Simone is barely in the book, but she is the one who finds Daisy after the OD (not Billy)
Daisy's husband bleeds her dry of her money
Camila and Billy have twins after Julia

There's a few others but can't remember.

Overall I feel like the book is better (but I pretty much always do think that) but it would be strange to have a TV show with almost zero focus on the peripheral characters, so I understand why most of the changes were made.

Some of the story lines were quite different to the book. For example:
Karen didn't want anyone to know about her relationship with Graham so it was totally kept under wraps
There was another member of the band (which is why in the show, Camila was weirdly shoehorned in as the sixth
The time difference between past and present is way longer - like 20 or 30 years longer
Karen's not British
They don't have to chase Rod or Teddy
The band is successful even before Daisy joins them
A lot of the song lyrics were changed
BILLY DOESN'T KISS DAISY - he goes home to Camila
There's no affair between Camila and Eddie
Simone is barely in the book, but she is the one who finds Daisy after the OD (not Billy)
Daisy's husband bleeds her dry of her money
Camila and Billy have twins after Julia

There's a few others but can't remember.

Overall I feel like the book is better (but I pretty much always do think that) but it would be strange to have a TV show with almost zero focus on the peripheral characters, so I understand why most of the changes were made.
Interesting read about the book

Thanks

As others have said it took a bit too long to get going. They spent too much time on the Simone subplot. The Irish douchebag prince sequence felt a bit forced.

But they are only minor gripes. Riley Keough and Sam Claflin did great jobs portraying complex characters. There seemed to be genuine chemistry between them, and the singing performances were excellent. The interview format allowed some exposition and character development but they didn't overdo it. Whoever was writing and producing the songs for the show gave the band their own identity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back