News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Hagdorn said this morning that Harley was fined and disciplined by the players themselves last Monday, as opposed to receiving a club sanction which would have meant the end of him. I presume that was because Harley didn't break any rules as such, however there's no denying that he has let the club down in some way after being asked to leave a venue.

However I have heard that he was with a group of friends who were simply having a good time when some idiot started mouthing off at Harley. His friends intervened and the group was asked to leave by security staff. Harley himself notified the club of what happened because no doubt someone will have recorded something on their phone.

Hagdorn said this morning that Harley was fined and disciplined by the players themselves last Monday, as opposed to receiving a club sanction which would have meant the end of him. I presume that was because Harley didn't break any rules as such, however there's no denying that he has let the club down in some way after being asked to leave a venue.

However I have heard that he was with a group of friends who were simply having a good time when some idiot started mouthing off at Harley. His friends intervened and the group was asked to leave by security staff. Harley himself notified the club of what happened because no doubt someone will have recorded something on their phone.

It's been mentioned that he fell asleep at The OBH.

Wtf pushed thrown, semantics. A bouncer at the same pub that Harley was asked to leave killed a punter by throwing or pushing him out the window. Do you even know what youre on about, talk about having no idea.

Do some reading. It wasn't a bouncer, it was a bikie associate.

Who cares, the pub is fine. Good place for a beer! If Harley fell asleep at the pub, but his skin folds came back ok, then there is nothing to see here, move along!!

With both Conca and Bennell we have the 2nd and 6th draft picks from 2010 which was pretty horrendous for us with our crappy pics (thank god for a mature age rookie later on). Wonder if it will pay any dividends in 2019?

Speaking of those two.

Conca discussed Harley as they are old mates -

“Me and Harley are quite close friends so it’s good to rekindle that friendship. We can connect on a whole different range of levels, which is good,” he said.
“He’s an incredible talent, the way he can just attack the game. He’s one of those players who can actually win a game off his own boot. He wins the ball really well, he can kick goals.
“He’s training super well, he’s looking fantastic. I think it’s incredibly exciting. Fremantle supporters should be really excited at the prospect of having him back on the park and contributing.”

Could conca be the guy to lead bennel out of his own stupidity? Conca sounds like a ripper guy. Bit of a Brett Kirk new age kind of dude.
Unless Bennel's done it himself already.

But yes.. Conca seems to be very strong on the culture/emotional/mateship side of things. He's probably worth having around for that alone. If he delivers on the field as well it'll be awesome!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Bennel's done it himself already.

But yes.. Conca seems to be very strong on the culture/emotional/mateship side of things. He's probably worth having around for that alone. If he delivers on the field as well it'll be awesome!
You are who you hang around was what my pa always told me. I think I was about 18 when I decided I wasn't going to be a dropkick anymore & punted my dropkick mates. Looking towards positive people to model myself on.

Matera's comments on the OBH "incident" probably puts things into perspective. Much ado about nothing.

Our players have been making very encouraging noises about Harley this pre-season. I have the feeling that our strength and conditioning staff started to get a handle on how to manage Harley's calves last year. 11 games for Peel was a much better return and his ability to complete a full (albeit managed) pre-season so far has me hopeful we will see some reward for the club's patience.

Wtf! Is anyone else concerned that Harley was with Brandon at the OBH and got out of control?

What is Brandon doing getting on the booze with Harley after all that’s happened to Harley in his history ? How is it ok to say it was made into something bigger than it was? Told to leave a pub? Wtf ? how drunk or aggressive do you need to be ? Punter hero starter it , sure.... but Harley after the multiple drinking incidents shouldn’t have been there having plenty and Brandon should have let him get to that point. Thats what mates do , look out for each other. I call bullsh!t ...

All you “ he’s a young bloke, happens to us all” supporters, I’m happy to respect your view. My opinion, stop treating him like a 18 yo. Brandon has gotta step up too. $300k+ a year, if I’m his boss I’m saying don’t go out to pubs, one more F*ck up you’re gone. Go to Brandon’s house have 17 beers instead, don’t drink in public, f*ck it ain’t that hard.

Wtf! Is anyone else concerned that Harley was with Brandon at the OBH and got out of control?

What is Brandon doing getting on the booze with Harley after all that’s happened to Harley in his history ? How is it ok to say it was made into something bigger than it was? Told to leave a pub? Wtf ? how drunk or aggressive do you need to be ? Punter hero starter it , sure.... but Harley after the multiple drinking incidents shouldn’t have been there having plenty and Brandon should have let him get to that point. Thats what mates do , look out for each other. I call bullsh!t ...

All you “ he’s a young bloke, happens to us all” supporters, I’m happy to respect your view. My opinion, stop treating him like a 18 yo. Brandon has gotta step up too. $300k+ a year, if I’m his boss I’m saying don’t go out to pubs, one more F*ck up you’re gone. Go to Brandon’s house have 17 beers instead, don’t drink in public, f*ck it ain’t that hard.

No I'm not concerned at all because if the club thought it was an issue then something would have been done about it like the last time. Seems to me that it was a slow news day and the whole thing was blown out of proportion. Maybe as his mate he took Harley home to prevent an actual incident from occurring and they left the club.

The 'incident' was never explained, only that Harley was with a group of people who were asked to leave. If there was something actually there it would've been reported by now and Harley would be wearing a WAFL Guernsey for the rest of his career.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back