Harry McKay 2024 Brownlow Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

kreuze_missile

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Not only has Harry McKay cemeted himself as the best forward in the business, I'd argue right now he's the best player in the game.

3 matches in. 3 dominant BOG performances. 9 brownlow votes locked in. Easy run from here into September as well.

Rated statistically elite in Disposals, Kicks, Goals, Marks, Tackles, Champion Data points.

Ranked 2nd goals, 2nd contested marks, 3rd marks inside f50, 8th score involvements, 9th champion data points, 13th tackles inside f50 & 19th total marks per game.

$251 for the Brownlow is ridiculously good odds. Get on. Won't last.

Not only has Harry McKay cemeted himself as the best forward in the business, I'd argue right now he's the best player in the game.

3 matches in. 3 dominant BOG performances. 9 brownlow votes locked in. Easy run from here into September as well.

Rated statistically elite in Disposals, Kicks, Goals, Marks, Tackles, Champion Data points.

Ranked 2nd goals, 2nd contested marks, 3rd marks inside f50, 8th score involvements, 9th champion data points, 13th tackles inside f50 & 19th total marks per game.

$251 for the Brownlow is ridiculously good odds. Get on. Won't last.
Almost a certainty at this point. Great odds.

If you think umpires are bright or imaginative enough to let anything other than a midfielder win the Brownlow then I have some magic beans to sell you.

Matthew Richardson was a forward and he finished 3rd in the Brownlow medal...not far off the winner that year (2008 - Adam Cooney). But he did spend time on the wing too, still though, it may have been a surprise to some that he got as many votes as he did given that he spent time forward.

I’d have given him the 3 votes v north, but probably gone with Cripps in the other matches.

Harry probably 2 in both of those games, knowing umpires it will probably just be votes to Cripps and other mids of either side, maybe give Harry one vote for the games.

Matthew Richardson was a forward and he finished 3rd in the Brownlow medal...not far off the winner that year (2008 - Adam Cooney). But he did spend time on the wing too, still though, it may have been a surprise to some that he got as many votes as he did given that he spent time forward.
It does happen here and there that a forward polls well, although 2008 is going back a while now. A better recent example would probably be 2022 when Jeremy Cameron had a great season for a team that would go on to win the premiership and yet he still only finished 8th with seven midfielders in front of him.

I’d love to see a forward (or heck even a gun defender) win it but something would have to change drastically for it to be anything other than a midfielders award.

It does happen here and there that a forward polls well, although 2008 is going back a while now. A better recent example would probably be 2022 when Jeremy Cameron had a great season for a team that would go on to win the premiership and yet he still only finished 8th with seven midfielders in front of him.

I’d love to see a forward (or heck even a gun defender) win it but something would have to change drastically for it to be anything other than a midfielders award.

Just looking at Richo's stats for that 2008 season, he played 20 games:

Averaged 18.2 possessions per game
Averaged 11.1 marks per game
Averaged 2.3 contested marks per game
Averaged 2.4 goals per game (48 goals)

Outstanding season. Probably had as good a season as Cooney did (winner).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread will be fun on Brownlow night when the umps give him 0 votes in BOG games.

I’d be willing to wager he is currently not on 9 votes even though he should be.

This thread will be fun on Brownlow night when the umps give him 0 votes in BOG games.

I’d be willing to wager he is currently not on 9 votes even though he should be.

Yep and there lies the problem doesn't it....there is absolutely nothing at all to suggest a forward cant win the Brownlow..but year on year they don't win it. Midfielders truly do excel with this award, the Brownlow

I reckon every single person on Bigfoofy would like to see a forward win the Brownlow.

Yep and there lies the problem doesn't it....there is absolutely nothing at all to suggest a forward cant win the Brownlow..but year on year they don't win it. Midfielders truly do excel with this award, the Brownlow

I reckon every single person on Bigfoofy would like to see a forward win the Brownlow.
I truely don’t get it either. Maybe they think kicking goals is easy and forwards are just cherry pickers or something. I don’t see any other logical reason why they don’t give them votes.

Be careful, people said the same thing about Jeremy Cameron then he got injured.

Now McKay can kick 5 and get 3 votes. If he keeps it up the expectation is 5 goals is an average game and he won't get votes. Happens to other forwards like buddy in 2008.

Just looking at Richo's stats for that 2008 season, he played 20 games:

Averaged 18.2 possessions per game
Averaged 11.1 marks per game
Averaged 2.3 contested marks per game
Averaged 2.4 goals per game (48 goals)

Outstanding season. Probably had as good a season as Cooney did (winner).
Neither as good as Ablett or Buddy (robbed).

Has it ever happened before where the Brownlow, Norm Smith & Coleman were all won by the same club?

How about the same player?

We’re witnessing unprecedented greatness here.

Now McKay can kick 5 and get 3 votes. If he keeps it up the expectation is 5 goals is an average game and he won't get votes. Happens to other forwards like buddy in 2008.

Buddy couldn’t take a mark over his head, pick a ball up below his knees, or ruck.

Please don’t mention him again in this thread.

It's a pity he decided to play his second game each week for Essendon this year and not another contender.

If he had gone to Port and racked up a few extra votes intercept marking on a good quality team that might have been enough to get him over the line. But it is so hard to get votes on a bottom 4 team even as a midfielder, let alone when your job is to stand in the goal square and watch goal after goal sail straight over your head...

It's a pity he decided to play his second game each week for Essendon this year and not another contender.

If he had gone to Port and racked up a few extra votes intercept marking on a good quality team that might have been enough to get him over the line. But it is so hard to get votes on a bottom 4 team even as a midfielder, let alone when your job is to stand in the goal square and watch goal after goal sail straight over your head...

Essendon was the smart move.

No expectations, gets 2 pay cheques and never double booked in September.

It would be refreshing to see a forward win one, even if it’s another Carlton player who have already undeservedly won two Brownlows in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back