Opinion Has anyone else fallen out of love with the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank Christ the mental health expert is here to inform us all that, despite the absolute basket case our Club has been, that isn't the reason we're disillusioned with the Club.
I never said anyone is wrong about being disillusioned with the path of the club in recent years. You can be disillusioned all you want. Doesn’t mean I have to feel the same or think the same as you, does it?

Supporters will start caring (loving) again when the club starts playing cohesively and winning again, though probably not in 2020 which will be more of a rebuild/development year.

Would also help if they were a bit more prudent in their hiring practices. Please, no more clowns like Brett Burton who literally come in to destroy the fabric of the club by bringing in hucksters like Collective Minds (whom he was allegedly associated with).

I never said anyone is wrong about being disillusioned with the path of the club in recent years. You can be disillusioned all you want. Doesn’t mean I have to feel the same or think the same as you, does it?
Is that what he said?

Your the one who posted alternate reasons why we might be disillusioned, it’s just another classic John Who post

Just curious, but to all the forlorn fans here, have you ever considered the fact you've got older and your perspective and understanding of things had changed?

All clubs have gone through the same if not worse kind of s**t we are and have, you are just more aware of it now. When you were a kid you didn't care what Bill Sanders was doing, didn't worry you Brett Chamers was trying to get to Port.

Now its a convenient excuse to the fact you've grown up, you've got other priorities and going to watch a team lose is difficult to justify.

But don't feel bad, it's normal human behaviour.

AFC will be successful again, with or without you, the sooner you realise that, the better heading to the footy will become.

See you at the footy!

Just curious, but to all the forlorn fans here, have you ever considered the fact you've got older and your perspective and understanding of things had changed?

All clubs have gone through the same if not worse kind of s**t we are and have, you are just more aware of it now. When you were a kid you didn't care what Bill Sanders was doing, didn't worry you Brett Chamers was trying to get to Port.

Now its a convenient excuse to the fact you've grown up, you've got other priorities and going to watch a team lose is difficult to justify.

But don't feel bad, it's normal human behaviour.

AFC will be successful again, with or without you, the sooner you realise that, the better heading to the footy will become.

Part of it is the problem with caring too much. Because we're footy tragics, we seek out all the info. By learning too much it taints our enjoyment. We see behind the curtain.

My dear old Mum watches the games and follows the Crows socials. She hasn't liked the last few years of results but she's as optimistic as ever about next year. She has no idea how s**t Burton or Campo were. And as a result she, weirdly, probably enjoys her footy more than those of us who are hardcore fans.

Personally though, I've never felt worse about the club than I have these past few years. Bad decisions, backing those decisions, deriding supporters who question those decisions, spin, lies, deception. I found myself not even caring about results this year. I was watching games but had no emotional attachment to a win or a loss because either way we were still going nowhere. I still love the club but it's a strained relationship. They have taken a few steps in the right direction though. I'll be watching in Round 1 as always.

Ever since the 2017 GF I've felt like that but at least we've made some serious changes to try and rectify it. Who knows what will become of our club within the next 2-3 years but if you're a die hard fan then you get behind the team and support them. It wasn't long ago you could be hearing these same comments from Richmond fans and look how they've turned around.
It could be worse, we could still be stuck with Hinkley.

I agree with most of your post and well put. The bolded part is a worry as I may be one of those older fans your write about and I don't know how you can tell these things by looking at me or others. I have sat in the same seat at AO from day one and there are a few older people around me that have done the same. They all have good footy brains and understand the modern game. You don't necessarily lose your marbles because you age.
Your observation about our age profile is spot on. No different to Port or any interstate team I see at their home grounds.
Fair call was probably a generalisation. The ones around me have no idea there is no consideration of forward pressure or playing zones etc and just abuse if tex doesn't mark it in a 1 on 4. Sigh wish you were near me instead. Keep on cheering

Great thread OP - a really intersting topic.

I get that the definition of 'The Club' is different for different people, but for me, the club has nothing to do with the board, the footy ops manager, or even the coaches. Those are just roles or custodians of the club at any one point in time, that come and go.

This is going to sound more poetic than I intend it to be, but the club for me is the constants - the jumper, our home ground, our fans, and even the city it represents.

From that perspective, I've never fallen out of love with the club.
Great post, you've changed my thinking. Yes, I do love the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what the final straw was, but somewhere along the way I just stopped caring and I don't really understand why.

I survived Tippettgate, Trigg, Neil Craig, the Wayne Carey trade, missing out on Pav, Angwin/Bode instead of Shaun Burgoyne, Dangerfield leaving, Phil Walsh, the 05/06 disappointments etc and nothing changed.

I thought I would always feel the same about the club, but somewhere between the 2017 Grand Final and now something's changed and the only emotion I now seem to feel towards the club is apathy.

Brad Crouch could announce tomorrow that he's leaving and I just don't think I would care, if we didn't win a game in 2020? Who cares, Matthew Nicks appointed coach? Whoopee-do, no senior assistant next year? Yep another who cares from me.

I actually feel awful that I feel like this, but I am beginning to suspect that the club has finally broken me.

Am I alone in feeling like this or are there others who feel the same?
Never fall out of love with the Team,
Fell out of love with the ball bearings that help a team flow.
It’s like you want the least resistance.
With Adelaide it seems that there is internal resistance.
Just gotta get rid of that s**t.
Hey, Chapman, gtfo hey.

GF was the last time I saw the crows live and since then I have completely lost interest. In the two years since I haven’t even bothered watching on TV regularly.

Think it’s just the accumulation of factors that has broken me but above all else I strongly feel the club does not prioritise winning premierships.

s**t like the esports and baseball have really broken me. It’s time and effort and resources into something other than winning flags. If the club isn’t that fussed about flags and is happy to be competitive enough to keep the membership and sponsor dollars rolling in then it’s not a club I can be bothered investing any energy or emotion in.

I’m genuinely jealous of other clubs. Take the Hawks, you can see in their decision making and leadership that that have a singular purpose and you can live with bad years and s**t performances as long as you know the people inside the club are livid about it and are pulling every string they can think of to win a flag. Never get that sense from our club.

Have lived in Melb for years and my kid is now old enough to really get into the footy. She’s chosen the Dogs as her team and I saw no reason at all to steer her towards the Crows.

Hopefully I get back on the horse but until the club’s culture is vastly different I just can’t see myself caring enough.

I’ve fallen out of love with football as a whole and the club’s leadership makes that even easier.

I moved away from the city of Adelaide 13 years ago and have less and less of a connection with my home state. I’ll always love the place, I’ll always have fond memories, but the football club and the sport to me are just about dead.

The league itself is a dictatorship that’s run with the intention of a successful Victorian base and the other clubs are just orbiting in their solar system. Our leaders however could be served a shovel full of s**t from Gil and co and would happily ask for a second helping.

The product is dull and predictable and gets more sanitised over time. I gravitated more and more to American sports and my absolute passion really lies with ice hockey these days. I play it, I watch it and I get a great sense of enjoyment from it. It is to me what AFL was when I was growing up and it actually feels like a level playing field (bar one or two basket case franchises).

On a side note, the last tenuous string holding me to football actually has nothing to do with the AFC. In the middle of the finals series this year, my best friend (a pies supporter) passed away.

He was a good man who loved banter and actually gave me a reason to be around that space. There’s a part of me that wants a Collingwood flag for him and for his family in the near future and it’s completely changed my perspective of their football club. I think if Collingwood won a flag I’d be willing to call it and happily never watch another game again.

You might possibly be the first fan to have a Crow tat! Ever think of an upgrade or re-ink?

No too old now. I think it was the result of a midlife crisis. Got the tat done, crop the hair short , a stud in the ear and grew a beard.LOL Scared people. Wife went ballistic. Geez it was cold for weeks in the house.:D

For me personally, I seem to be falling out of love with the game of AFL, rathern than the Crows (though they arent helping!).
I used to watch 5-6 games a week, could tell you every ins and out before each game and loved it.
Lately though the game doesnt seem to hold the same interest. Now I usually go to bed at half time on the Friday night game, watch the Crows and check to see if Port are losing,and thats usually it. watching two teams kick 3 goals in a half of football is just dire. The AFL is becoming blatantly about simply maximising revenue rather than a fair competition, heck Richmond not leaving the MCG more than twice in the first 14 games shows its just about bums on seats.
Part of it is getting older, heck with work, kids, mortgage etc things like football just a side issue now. I also have an incurable illness so obviously that puts everything else in perspective.
As for the Crows, I left Adelaide for Melbourne 3 years ago. I still love the city, but its no longer my home. Adelaides performance and seeming lack of interest in regaining credibility after the last two years have me wondering about how excited Ill be for next season, but Ill still watch their games on telly (since the AFL doesnt seem to want them to play here) and theyll always be my team

I know it’s sad but I’m actually becoming a supporter of whoever is playing Port more so than the Crows.

I get more joy out a port loss than a crows win. A crows win is like dancing with your cousin - although - hmmm.* change the subject*

My dear old Mum watches the games and follows the Crows socials. She hasn't liked the last few years of results but she's as optimistic as ever about next year. She has no idea how s**t Burton or Campo were. And as a result she, weirdly, probably enjoys her footy more than those of us who are hardcore fans.
Casual fans are weird. I s**t you not, my dear old 87 year old Grandma was still talking up David Mackay and Richard Douglas in 2019. I tried to be diplomatic and reason with her but in my mind I was doing this.
tenor.gif

Yeah I've lost a lot of love for the club now, the Ricciuto comments were the straw that broke the camels back for me. If the review didn't happen and Burton and Campo were still there I was ditching my membership, even now with Chapman the fraud still there it was a close call.

Much more in love with Adelaide United these days, seem to be run fairly well now, have a manager/structure that's actively trying to give/get local kids a go and getting the results done on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back