Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had to say a lot more about it since then.

Yes there are some double meanings , but its also pretty explicit at times.
"Fifty years later, critic Tom Taylor concludes that the song "does not offer one considered thought to the subject matter that it sings of..." and "the atrocity of the slave trade, rape and the unimaginable suffering therein should not be adorned with gyrating, glib lyrics, guitar solos and no redeeming features in the way of discerned appraisal."

There's a household name. Can't wait to hear what he's contributed to the world of music. Not much I'm guessing.

Time to give Sticky Fingers a run at full blast.

Probably because of the scale of it. In the old days you couldn't organise thousands of people to boycott a product or a person on a whim.
So hugely successful products need to be protected, now that people have more of a voice?

Previously, while bad practice was hidden and few people knew, that was free market.
Now that bad practice is becoming better known, it's bad for the free market due to a social voice?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hugely successful products need to be protected, now that people have more of a voice?

Previously, while bad practice was hidden and few people knew, that was free market.
Now that bad practice is becoming better known, it's bad for the free market due to a social voice?
Who says it's bad practice? People organise and boycott against good practice as well. Currently MnMs are possibly in the firing line because they dressed down a few of their mascots.

The answer imo is people just need to move away from organising to boycott a person or a product just because of minor or valid political views.

Who says it's bad practice? People organise and boycott against good practice as well. Currently MnMs are possibly in the firing line because they dressed down a few of their mascots.

The answer imo is people just need to move away from organising to boycott a person or a product just because of minor or valid political views.
Who judges that?
And how did you find out about it?

Probably because of the scale of it. In the old days you couldn't organise thousands of people to boycott a product or a person
Just to anticipate your response if I don't address this specifically...

You could always organise thousands of people to boycott a product or a person:

You could even get the government to ban movies, films, plays, books and so on.

on a whim.
So you're not happy about the speed with which people are able to organise using the internet?

You mentioned bad practice, so I said good practice to mean what you would consider good practice, and how that is not exempt from cancel culture.
Social media is bad, because of the effect it has on the free market.

I'll ask again. And you need to ignore it, because I couldn't have been clearer in the previous message.
Where did you hear about it?

So you're not happy about the speed with which people are able to organise using the internet?
No, I'm concerned about people being able to rush to judgement. The internet also facilitates a disproportionate response because of the numbers involved, and a response which is disconnected from real world consequences because you don't often see the effects of your words or actions on others.

Social media is bad, because of the effect it has on the free market.

I'll ask again. And you need to ignore it, because I couldn't have been clearer in the previous message.
Where did you hear about it?
Social media is bad for a number of reasons.

I first heard about the MnMs on Colbert's show.

No, I'm concerned about people being able to rush to judgement. The internet also facilitates a disproportionate response because of the numbers involved, and a response which is disconnected from real world consequences because you don't often see the effects of your words or actions on others.
I can see where you are coming from.

However, you can't lay this at the feet of social media.

In the past we've had TV shows and Parliamentarians use their power to unfairly ruin peoples lives. Why is it suddenly bad now the power is distributed?

Ever watched Frontline? They send up the practice of setting up local businesses and "exposing" them without recourse. In the Frontline episode it was a dry cleaners, the Frontline team planted money in clothing sent in for cleaning, which was stolen by an employee. The business is wrecked and the show gets one segment on a Wednesday night.

That was satire, but truly destructive practices like that have been with us for a lot longer than social media.

Last edited:
I can see where you are coming from.

However, you can't lay this at the feet of social media.

In the past we've had TV shows and Parliamentarians use their power to unfairly ruin peoples lives. Why is it suddenly bad now the power is distributed?
S'ocial media isn't really a distributing of power. It has more control over its users compared to old media, and with constant data feedback, content or the app itself can be tailored for maximum addiction, or rage, or disinformation, or they can fine tune it as they see fit. The rage and disinformation is part of where cancel culture comes in.

I see this in gaming now, once the internet gaming became the norm, the mechanics became geared towards getting players addicted. If it's not working they can fine tune it till it does.

S'ocial media isn't really a distributing of power. It has more control over its users compared to old media, and with constant data feedback, content or the app itself can be tailored for maximum addiction, or rage, or disinformation, or they can fine tune it as they see fit. The rage and disinformation is part of where cancel culture comes in.

I see this in gaming now, once the internet gaming became the norm, the mechanics became geared towards getting players addicted. If it's not working they can fine tune it till it does.
Fine but that has nothing to do with what I said. Or if it does, then you're saying people are not in control? It's the shadowy lefty tech cabal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back