Opinion Has the MCG become a homogeneous ground ?

Have all the MCG redevelopments lessened its appeal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it comes down to the religious like indoctrination most young Victorians are subjected to. The GEE is their Mecca and despite all its faults, don't dare criticise, or a Jihad type response is illicited.

Just curious, are you a real person, or a sort of textbook South Australian chip on the shoulder Internet comedy character?

Ye old Southern stand hath atmosphere.
Nothing like the sound of 80,000+ people drawing breath at a near miss.
The new stand with it's bucket seats just doesn't do it.

Just curious, are you a real person, or a sort of textbook South Australian chip on the shoulder Internet comedy character?
A real person. Not chip at all. Just have an inimate knowledge of what the corrupt MCG deal means to the integrity of the competition and how Victorian Government money has made the competition heavily slanted in one direction.

A real person. Not chip at all. Just have an inimate knowledge of what the corrupt MCG deal means to the integrity of the competition and how Victorian Government money has made the competition heavily slanted in one direction.
And watch out for that 5G, it is going to get you also.
The world is corrupt and everyone longs to see everything non victorian fail.

It is going to be ok, you have Kochie :)

the old stands at the SCG had appeal from a distance
and the front half of them might have been good
but having taken Auskick teams there a few times , they give you the s**t seats ... they are free , but what struck me was the number of seats with a ned kelly like view , I was there for a Swans Freo game dubbed the worst game of the decade , so I had a wonder around and after half time had to take the jumpers back to the other side of the ground , the newer stands are a lot better

during 2008 -2010 I went to the Gabba , SCG , Homebush , MCG and Docklands
and in more recent times Giants showgrounds
and made a point of looking around at the venues and tried to be open minded
I liked the Gabba , seemed to be a good viewing ground , access to amenities ok , caught a bus there with locals

SCG - onfield with my army of ants , great atmosphere , it was a mix of old and new , the old - seating , view , amenities and general access not great
the newer parts did address most of those points , getting to and from the ground has always been a pain

Homebush - built for the olympics , its a modern stadium that ticks all those boxes , it did look like it was built to a strict timeframe and strict budget

Giants - they don't claim to be a "great stadium" , I love it , viewing the game is great , access to amenities really good , yeah it will never hold big crowds
getting to and from is a bit awkward , that whole district is messy , especially if over events are on

Docklands - been to one game that produced an exciting finish , WOW , the atmosphere under the roof , it ticks lots of boxes with view , ammentities , and one time took my elderly parents , the car park underneath - great and a couple of time the weather outside wasn't friendly but under the roof way better

MCG - for my boys 13th birthday we did a MCG tour, my first game there was the 1967 2nd semi final V carlton , was in the standing room area behind the city goals , had been to many games since , so lots of changes, the tour was good, they explained the reason behind the changes and features of the new design
the other stadiums arent trash , the G just seems like things are thought through a little more , they have a bigger budget (and can justify because of crowds for cricket & football) and they don't rush
and getting to and from is good because of the trains

if an independent panel came from Europe to evaluate all the stadiums and had no bias , I'd expect the MCG to come out on top

MCG needs views of the city and the surrounding park, while Docklands needs natural light and views of the harbour. Neither are ideal for fan experience as presently constructed.
Not sure what you're doing when you're at the football but I'm focused on the game, not views of trees and the City.

Both the MCG and Docklands are too closed in. MCG feels like a concrete coliseum and Docklands feels like a concrete tent. MCG needs views of the city and the surrounding park, while Docklands needs natural light and views of the harbour. Neither are ideal for fan experience as presently constructed.

There is a lot of things wrong with the MCG and Docklands . I really dont think one of those things is having views outside the stadium ? Weird gripe

Does anyone remember when Marvel (maybe named Etihad, Telstra Dome or Colonial at the time) leaked when the roof wouldn't seal properly?

I'm trying to find footage of it. Any help?

I can vaguely picture a line of rain dribbling along the whole ground from one side to another

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look the religious/cult like defence of da "G" is cute and all, but like all religions/cults, it's mythology isn't rooted in reality and corruption pervades it. If the MCG was a person it would be Oprah Winfrey.
Yes cos its 100 thousand seats is a myth. They arent real. Likewise its location and history and noise. All myths.

I think it comes down to the religious like indoctrination most young Victorians are subjected to. The GEE is their Mecca and despite all its faults, don't dare criticise, or a Jihad type response is illicited.
No just numerous reasons which you continue to ignore.

next thing you will say is that soulless corporate tiny metal box at docklands is a better stadium.

Both the MCG and Docklands are too closed in. MCG feels like a concrete coliseum and Docklands feels like a concrete tent. MCG needs views of the city and the surrounding park, while Docklands needs natural light and views of the harbour. Neither are ideal for fan experience as presently constructed.
Lol. Mcg is far more open then almost all sporting grounds on the planet because afl grounds are so much bigger. Dont go to a major stadium overseas.

MCG still the number 1.

But its become a bit of a sterile plain place tho.

Not much charm left now.

Seams the bays areas and stands kind of blend in too much and no real character to them.

Kind of a giant concrete bowl that just looks the same.

But still MCG is 1 as it can host any kind of event imagainable and can host events small medium or large.

Just does the job the MCG.

MCG still the number 1.

But its become a bit of a sterile plain place tho.

Not much charm left now.

Seams the bays areas and stands kind of blend in too much and no real character to them.

Kind of a giant concrete bowl that just looks the same.

But still MCG is 1 as it can host any kind of event imagainable and can host events small medium or large.

Just does the job the MCG.
Optus stadium is even worse. As is docklands and the gabba. Mcg atleast still has two distinct stands. You can still tell just by looking at it which side you are on.

Definition of homogeneous
1 : of the same or a similar kind or nature. 2 : of uniform structure or composition throughout a culturally homogeneous neighborhood.

The SCG retained its Ladies Stand and Members Stand and still looks great.
View attachment 1541762

The Adelaide oval has trees and the redevelopment was a great success.
View attachment 1541766
View attachment 1541768

The MCG has demolished every old granstand and is one big concrete ground. You wouldn't know if you were in Dubai or Australia if you didn't know.
View attachment 1541770
Great thread. This is why I chuckle when blokes like dimwit Hardwick complain about the lack of "soul" at docklands, when the MCG has been reduced to a colourless, modernist concrete dump

MCG is an old fav but i do think i could be surpassed in this decade.

MCG look it just does the job.

Just keeps plodding along.

i do think the MCG Shane Warne stand formerly great southern stand is over due for a complete make over or at least a minor renovation.

Looks a bit old and worn.

At least its not the Shane Worn stand hahaha.

But i think its in the pipeline for some renovations and even talk of a hotel at the back of the stand as well equiped with resturants and bars.

Back