Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremantle would have to be up there. You pretty much know going there that 1) Ross the Boss is going to run you into the ground with his punishing game style 2) You're playing for the Dockers which means no chance of ever winning a premiership

Freo game plan.....

Try to nail 4 quick goals early in the first quarter then shut up shop and hold on for dear life.

You can kind of picture some of the Hawthorn supporters here walking down the street yelling "threepeat!" in the faces of random strangers as they walk.

No club's supporters feel a greater sense of personal accomplishment for something they had no involvement in.

You can kind of picture some of the Hawthorn supporters here walking down the street yelling "threepeat!" in the faces of random strangers as they walk.

No club's supporters feel a greater sense of personal accomplishment for something they had no involvement in.

Only in your mind

I'd have to say most of my mates and people I know that support Hawthorn are just happy that we've witnessed something special. I don't know anyone who takes personal pride out of what the hawks have done the past few years. Maybe a few freaks on bigfooty, but I'd say that the general reaction from most hawthorn people is nothing out of the ordinary of how any other group of supporters would react to a threepeat.

You forgot to mention how "insecure" we all are.

Lift your game, son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that the general reaction from most hawthorn people is nothing out of the ordinary of how any other group of supporters would react to a threepeat.
We don't really have a frame of reference...! A footy state team winning three flags in the modern era. Anyone who barracks for Carlton and Collingwood and saw their successive flags is almost certainly dead, Melbourne supporters are on the way, and Brisbane supporters (mainly the extra bandwagoners who didn't understand what they were watching anyway) all thought that, like the Broncos, Origin side and the Bulls, winning flags in everything was the Qld way and it would be like that forever...

Our bandwagoners might be like the last bit, but those of us who urgently bought memberships in 1996 know better...

My great, great, great grandfather tells me we're nothing compared to you Collingwood ****ers back in 1930. :thumbsu:

Boring or not, I think the AFL have a problem.
Since 2001, Hawks have won 4 flags, Geelong & Lions 3 each. That's 10 out of 15. The other 5 are Sydney 2, and Port, Eagles, and Pies 1 each.
Compare the NRL where Storm have won 3, Manly & Sydney(Roosters?) 2 each. That leaves 8 premierships for 8 other teams.
So, in RL, It's anybody's guess in any year, whereas in the AFL, it's another likely Hawks GF appearance in 2016.
It's not the Hawk's fault, but the backwards chip should be play-on, and there need to be a certain number of players in the forward line at all times.
Personally, the 14 to 16 metre chip should be 20 minimum before it's a mark.

Absolute Rubbish

One simple question - what Hawthorn era team did you prefer to watch - as in the style of play- the excitement/entertainment factor

The 1980s Premiership era or the Current Premiership era

The preliminary final against Fremantle - over 150 marks !- most of them uncontested -chip chip chip bloody chip

David Parkin - a Hawthorn Premiership Captain and Premiership Coach - so i think he loves the Hawks mate - has pleaded with the authorities to increase the distance for a mark to 30 metres - to get rid of - in his words - that boring chip passing - which alot of teams do

End of story

If teams man up, then it minimalises the uncontested marks. Simple solution really.

If kicks are lengthened to 20 or 30m, teams will then be able to zone off more, potentially making the game even uglier with less accountability than there currently is at times. The gap between the better sides and the bottom sides will look greater too.

All these people calling for rule changes have absolutely no idea what the consequences will be. Hell, the umpires have no idea what a 15m kick looks like, it will only become worse if you extend the kick!

Zones were created to stop free flowing football

Hawthorn and other teams play chip chip chip at times to go through / around zones

If you make it harder for teams to combat zones then you just encourage more zoning

Parko is normally switched on but not this time...

While we all like contested football, it makes no sense to kick it to a contest when you have a team mate free in a good position

Too many people in football suggest rule changes without really considering how coaches will react to the new rules

Why is this thread still going?

All it was ever going to do is provide a platform for Hawks supporters to, rightfully, gloat in joy and laugh at the tedious opposition hatred of what is a very good club.

Credit where it is due. They have gun players who play well in big games, along with a very good coach and footy department. This club was on it's financial knees in the early 90's, and now it sits at or near the top of the tree.

I find it ironic that the OP is a Melbourne supporter.

Equally, I think we can picture a bunch of opposition fans kicking their dog and being in one hell of a foul mood once they realized Hawthorn were about to three peat.

Not naming anyone, of course.

Didn't the press coin a term for it earlier this year? The purple rush or something equally shyte?
Freo's gameplan was dubbed the 'Sherminator', for its inability to score.

Sorry, cheap gag.

Reason why we chip it backwards and sideways is to draw the zone up and open up space directly behind them so we then move it forward.

If you don't allow us to have that goalkeeper like position to backpass it to, then we're forced to go long to a contest.

Each club has a coach and 4 or so assistants. Maybe they should do their jobs and think up a tactic to beat it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

When you watch freo you think Gee fyfe or walters have to do something amazing here to get them over the line , Hawks don't have that... They are a machine that chugs along and you need to break there system , stopping a couple players is futile

Wow I think this is one of the nicest thing I have ever read an opposition supporter say about my club. This is what all clubs strive for. A brilliant team system rather than individual talent. It's nice to hear that this is the perception of the team. It also reiterates to me just how good a coach Alistair Clarkson is. I reckon the same squad with Lyon or Longmire would struggled to have won a flag. Clarkson is the best thing that has happened to this club in the past 25years. Way way way more important that Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli, Franklin, Roughead et al.

Last edited:
Fremantle would have to be up there. You pretty much know going there that 1) Ross the Boss is going to run you into the ground with his punishing game style 2) You're playing for the Dockers which means no chance of ever winning a premiership
Ay least Freo had a crack in the prelim. West Coast rolled over disgracefully. A shocking effort only 3 weeks after beating them in the QF.
And their fans have been so delightfully respectful of hawks since. Gracious losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back