Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
That actually works for us them we keep him!

They are in the window and need to fill the McStay gap.. Unless they have another forward who can step in and 40 goals they need him. (he played 16 games this year and kicked 32 goals)

Or Melbourne then get in his ear, he feels aggrieved that we didn't help get him to Brisbane and he walks for free. Feels weird that people expect the club to play hardball with a 31 year old bloke who has given a lot to the club over 11 years and might want a change of scenery after a fairly tumultuous time in his life. A 3rd/4th round pick is more than we get if he goes to any other club. As someone else has pointed out before - dicking around a player like this would not make attracting other players easy. I agree we should be a bit sterner with trading younger assets than we were in the past (i.e. Brad Hill trade) but this isn't it.

That actually works for us them we keep him!

They are in the window and need to fill the McStay gap.. Unless they have another forward who can step in and 40 goals they need him. (he played 16 games this year and kicked 32 goals)
He is a free agent, we aren't 'keeping him' unless he decides he wants to stay... It isn't happening

Deven Robertson up for grabs from the Lions?

Trade radio had his name in amongst a list of players looking for new homes.

McStay compo likely end of second round, ala pick 36ish. They aren’t trading for Gunston only to pass that onto us. Best case pick 52ish, but prob more likely 70 or future 4th.

Why are we still debating this.

BeCaUsE We ShOuLd PlAy HaRdBaLl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st post so bear with me. I've only just found this thread. Taken me a while to catch up and I only started 20 pages back lol.

I've seen a lot of posts about trading up to pick 2. And while I see benefit in it, I wouldn't be selling the farm for it either. Sure we get our pick from the top kids, but Ashcroft is the only one that's really ahead of anyone in the draft. And we can't get him. Wardlaw might be a little better, but he's not sell the farm better. Sheezel I'd love to get, I think he's really gonna be a star. But not at the expense of DGB and 6. That's just silly. DGB is a top 6 key tall draftee from two years ago, played plenty of games and has shown enough to suggest he will be a great player. And people are valuing him as only enough to go up four spots? Crazy talk. Don't get me wrong, I'd do a deal for him. But unlike most I don't really get too sentimental about players. I just think he is worth way more than others seem to think. The main reason I think people don't value DGB is that we haven't been playing him to his strengths. He is an intercepting defender. His best games played for us, he has been on a third forward, able to peel off and intercept. He's not strong enough yet to take the big guys which is what we have had to ask him to do this year. And next year we have Frost back, and Blanck to continue, and Jeka unless he moves to CHF like I think he should (and McCabe should come in 2023). Having said that, we also have Sicily, CJ, Scrim and others to play that third fwd/intercept role. It's a position that we have a heap of guys in. So if someone came with a decent offer for DGB (or others), I'm happy for the Hawks to look at it. But not 6 and DGb for 2. If 6 and Brockman doesn't get it done, then I'm happy with Mackenzie at 6. I think he's going to be a real bargain even at that high a pick.

So West coast get Jackson and Brockman for pick 2?

They’d do that in a second.

We get bent over though
I agree.
Dees are asking for two top 10 picks and getting 6 and Kosi lol. They are getting screwed in this scenario too.
No one benefits aside from WC. Won't happen.

I don’t think offering a 3 year contract on good coin to someone would be considered low priority. I’m not saying that we should hold a gun to there head and say give us your 1st rounder, I’m just saying that if the FA option is not taken and they want to trade then it should be beneficial to both clubs.

If they get say pick 20 for McStay as compo would we be “being dickheads” about it to ask for that pick 20 for 24 and Gunston going back to them?

Beneficial to both clubs I would of thought!
As others have said, we don't get a choice in the matter. Gunner is a FA, so he can walk to any club. And because we have Amon coming in via FA, even if Gunners contract was good enough to get us compo we wouldn't receive it because we are benefiting from Amon. It's lose/lose.
So if the Lions want to offer us a half eaten pack of Twisties and a licked Mars bar for Gunner, we will take it because the alternative is zero. Whatever pick they offer, or zero. They are our choices.

"Wherever they want me to play" - might be reading into this a bit much but do we potentially have a different role lined up for Amon other than pure wingman?
For me the exciting part of the his interview was that 4 FOUR Quatre Cuatro clubs were after him and he chose us. I don't know what factors were in play here but that's a big statement for all the naysayers banging on about how the Hawks can't attract FAs

Because Brisbane would laugh and walk. If McKenzie gave away a late first/early second for a 31 year old player you’d be calling for his head. That kind of pick is what we paid for Gunston 11 years ago.
Brisbane don't care what number draft pick they have this year, they just need points to get Ashcroft and possibly Fletcher. If they take Gunston as FA then they lose the McStay compo which could be a high as 948 points, (end of first round has been touted as a possibilty). So we trade 24 and 50 for their pick 15. They lose about 50 points on the trade but keep the McStay compo, so they're about 900 points better off. Both sides win. Hawks move up the draft order and Brisbane have additional points they need. Why would the hawks accept some late token pick just to help Brisbane?

"Wherever they want me to play" - might be reading into this a bit much but do we potentially have a different role lined up for Amon other than pure wingman?
We might be reading into it to much but my first thought was "He would slot into the Dylan Moore role nicely."

Wrapped to get this guy to the club.
Dog Spinning GIF

Brisbane don't care what number draft pick they have this year, they just need points to get Ashcroft and possibly Fletcher. If they take Gunston as FA then they lose the McStay compo which could be a high as 948 points, (end of first round has been touted as a possibilty). So we trade 24 and 50 for their pick 15. They lose about 50 points on the trade but keep the McStay compo, so they're about 900 points better off. Both sides win. Hawks move up the draft order and Brisbane have additional points they need. Why would the hawks accept some late token pick just to help Brisbane?
Or they give a late pick for Gunston or future late pick and use 15 to get more points from a different club

With some of the ins being touted for brisbane, I’d imagine there would also be some trades out. They need the list space to accomodate the draft picks/points. As such, Gunston + pick 50 for Deven Robertson

I know we are fixated on trying to prise out pick 2 from WCE (or MFC) but surely it would be easier to get 3 from GWS, given how many first round picks they will have. If WCE go for a local lad our target could slip a spot. Who would GWS be prepared to give up for 3 if we also send them 6?

1st post so bear with me. I've only just found this thread. Taken me a while to catch up and I only started 20 pages back lol.

I've seen a lot of posts about trading up to pick 2. And while I see benefit in it, I wouldn't be selling the farm for it either. Sure we get our pick from the top kids, but Ashcroft is the only one that's really ahead of anyone in the draft. And we can't get him. Wardlaw might be a little better, but he's not sell the farm better. Sheezel I'd love to get, I think he's really gonna be a star. But not at the expense of DGB and 6. That's just silly. DGB is a top 6 key tall draftee from two years ago, played plenty of games and has shown enough to suggest he will be a great player. And people are valuing him as only enough to go up four spots? Crazy talk. Don't get me wrong, I'd do a deal for him. But unlike most I don't really get too sentimental about players. I just think he is worth way more than others seem to think. The main reason I think people don't value DGB is that we haven't been playing him to his strengths. He is an intercepting defender. His best games played for us, he has been on a third forward, able to peel off and intercept. He's not strong enough yet to take the big guys which is what we have had to ask him to do this year. And next year we have Frost back, and Blanck to continue, and Jeka unless he moves to CHF like I think he should (and McCabe should come in 2023). Having said that, we also have Sicily, CJ, Scrim and others to play that third fwd/intercept role. It's a position that we have a heap of guys in. So if someone came with a decent offer for DGB (or others), I'm happy for the Hawks to look at it. But not 6 and DGb for 2. If 6 and Brockman doesn't get it done, then I'm happy with Mackenzie at 6. I think he's going to be a real bargain even at that high a pick.

I agree.
Dees are asking for two top 10 picks and getting 6 and Kosi lol. They are getting screwed in this scenario too.
No one benefits aside from WC. Won't happen.

As others have said, we don't get a choice in the matter. Gunner is a FA, so he can walk to any club. And because we have Amon coming in via FA, even if Gunners contract was good enough to get us compo we wouldn't receive it because we are benefiting from Amon. It's lose/lose.
So if the Lions want to offer us a half eaten pack of Twisties and a licked Mars bar for Gunner, we will take it because the alternative is zero. Whatever pick they offer, or zero. They are our choices.
Yes Gunston is a free agent so he can walk to where ever he wants, however the moment Brisbane decides not to take him as a free agent a trade has to happen! It's pretty simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back