Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:

This is genuinely annoying.

There's a happy medium between playing hardball and being an absolute doormat, and we didn't owe Brisbane anything more to help them win a flag. Pick 48 and a future 4th which is unlikely to get used is a spit in the face imo.
Brisbane were trying to protect compensation pick 35. I can't see a scenario where we would have done any better than 48, otherwise everyone would have been better off walking with FA.

Depends how you define backwards.

If we're talking about building a team to win the Cup and set up a period of success, then spending four years incrementally climbing the ladder and peaking when blokes like Sic are 32 is a bit of a false dawn. If a short sharp drop off while we get 50 odd games into Ward/McDonald/future picks means we're competing when Sic is 30 odd is it really going backwards?

Everyone loves Geelong at the moment - but if I were a fan I'd be pretty pissed that for a decade they've been defining success as making a prelim and have one Premiership to show for it right as Danger/Selwood/Hawkins depart. Sure there's youth, but there's also a core group of very old players who are about to leave and going to be hard to replace.

It's noticeable in all this that noones got the Cats as favourites for next year.
I couldn't agree with you more.
I mean (backwards) in terms of a short sharp drop off next year compared to the amount of wins we register.
Also the draft being very deep next year. If we are giving away 3rd rounders I would prefer it's this year and not next.

Jai Newcombe was Hawthorns best clearance player by a street. He might not have them on numbers but he dominates them on quality.
And you do you think the opposition will focus on if omeara and Mitchell aren’t digging in winning clearances and contested possessions? Do you think it will impact newc’s quality?

I have no doubt newc can be a top clearance mid but life is a lot easier when you don’t have to try and win every hard ball for your side because there are two other guys who do it really well.

Clearances

1665444048047.png

Contested possessions
1665444144632.png

Score involvements
1665444374464.png

Really? The kids drove Hawthorn this year. And they are another year older next year. No one knows who they are yet but things are not that bleak.

Gunston 17 goals in a 5 games period, avg 2 a game over 16 games. Lewis was great but injured often. Breust 40 from 21 games.

Mitchell only had half the time in the middle but was our 2nd best midfielder.

Sicily carried the defence. Richmond kicked 20? goals in the 3 quarters Sicily was in the middle and forward, and barely scored when he was back.

McEvoy we won 5, lost 3 from when he played.

Our kids are growing but without our key older players we are a VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lobb is indeed on the move then I reckon we miss out on Meek.

I wonder what the ruck back up plan is.
Not sure if Meek deal is off, usually requests can fulfilled but if so, we draft a best available back-up to Reeves, Lynch and develop Ramsden (sp?) - after filling other needs.

Wonder if we go after a Paddy Dow to add a body in to the midfield mix. Would prefer Xavier O.

And you do you think the opposition will focus on if omeara and Mitchell aren’t digging in winning clearances and contested possessions? Do you think it will impact newc’s quality?

I have no doubt newc can be a top clearance mid but life is a lot easier when you don’t have to try and win every hard ball for your side because there are two other guys who do it really well.

Clearances

View attachment 1532495

Contested possessions
View attachment 1532498

Score involvements
View attachment 1532501
The protection that the harder bodies of JOM and Tom have, plus the fact they usually take the better opposition players has allowed for Newc to become the player he has. It'll be a mammoth task next year, but I have no doubt that throwing them in the deep end now will pay of dividends in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back