Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got idea who were looking at, but one thing gives me confidence was the clubs interest in Lachie Shultz in last years trade period…it seems as tho the club have their eye in when looking for new talent to bring in.
There was plenty of negativity around us looking at him, but he is proving to be a fantastic player.

Given the success of Newcombe, Bramble, Reeves and now Blanck, I would think that MM would be keen on continuing to add more ready-made players on the list. There’s got to be some players in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL out there deserving of a chance?

Given the success of Newcombe, Bramble, Reeves and now Blanck, I would think that MM would be keen on continuing to add more ready-made players on the list. There’s got to be some players in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL out there deserving of a chance?

Reeves wasn't ready made - he was a project player who was derided here for many years as someone who would never make it and only having gotten the gig because his dad was the CEO.

Tom v Crouch stats from yesterday is an interesting read.

Crouch with the same disposals and more clearances, from less TOG and less CBA’s.

Cheap replacement for Tom if someone comes knocking.

john lewis lol GIF

Reeves wasn't ready made - he was a project player who was derided here for many years as someone who would never make it and only having gotten the gig because his dad was the CEO.
Point still stands though, you could probably build a team from the best players of the state leagues that'd be able to topple North.

Point still stands though, you could probably build a team from the best players of the state leagues that'd be able to topple North.

Definitely not against looking to the state leagues looking for talent - just Reeves absolutely doesn't fit the example.

Crouch with the same disposals and more clearances, from less TOG and less CBA’s.

john lewis lol GIF
Honestly didn't rate either of their games yesterday, it was a fine example of how ineffectual they both can be. You're right though. It'd be the most 1:1 trade possible.

The question I have, not being much of a Suns viewer, is Fiorini being squeezed out because he’s not up to standard, or because they want to play Rowell, Anderson, Miller etc, and he’s considered to be a level below them?
He is an ball getter, but so very slow, by foot and by thought.
Brave, no short-steps, but he really is a poorer version of T.Mitchell. Too slow to add anything Worpel can do - and Worpel has much more upside as per his B+F win.

On our list and on the fringes - McPherson is just no good, Sharpe really does put in the short ones - does not like a contest.

Constable has never been given a go, Tsitas is not AFL standard.
Flanders - dunno where he sits tbh - seems 'average' all over the ground, but may improve if coached into a specific position.

The one you want is Bowes. Massive upside - he's a slightly quicker than average mid, who has played most games down back. He would improve out of sight with a dozen games in a row through the guts. I'm not sure we would let him go tbh - would have to be a very good deal, as we have lost most of our pace through the side through injury.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Rory Atkins before he came on as sub. He came up on a big deal (not his fault) and his first year was deplorable.
He was on the beach - not interested at all.
This year, something has changed - he is fitter, and has a changed attitude, and is getting big numbers in the ressies.

He's 27 so fits your need for experience - and has become 'hungry' again - he knows he probably is gone unless he works harder.

To his credit he has, and played well against Richmond (FU Tiges!!) - and he would be very cheap.

So yeah, Bowes for sure - Atkins if Sam Mitchell thinks he can keep him motivated.

Others I like (for either us or you if I'm honest):
LDU
James Jordan
Sam Berry - he has made MASSIVE strides this year.

Fix your mids and you will be finals bound - again.
I went to the Crows game (my partner is a Hawks member) - what a chase by Nash.

Good luck to both our clubs.

john lewis lol GIF

What about neither, then play Moore as a full time mid?

Draft Sheezel and retain Wingard. Play Butler as a pure forward for the next 12 months.

Midfield mix: O'Meara, Newcombe, Ward, Nash, Moore, Macdonald, Worpel, Day, Maginness (Amon?)
Smaller forwards: Breust, Sheezel, Butler, Wingard (rookie list Cavarra?)

Draft Sheezel and retain Wingard. Play Butler as a pure forward for the next 12 months.

Midfield mix: O'Meara, Newcombe, Ward, Nash, Moore, Macdonald, Worpel, Day, Maginness (Amon?)
No disrespect to Moore and others but that’s probably still the worst midfield in the comp, but at least it has growth in it.

Sheezel wont be a forward for long

Guy will be a rolled gold mid pinch hitting forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No disrespect to Moore and others but that’s probably still the worst midfield in the comp, but at least it has growth in it.

100% agree. Development was at the core of my suggestion.

In 3 years Ward, Newcombe, Moore could be Merrett, Petracca, Laird in comparative output and we'll look back and laugh about the time our midfield was the worst in the comp.

100% agree. Development was at the core of my suggestion.

In 3 years Ward, Newcombe, Moore could be Merrett, Petracca, Laird in comparative output and we'll look back and laugh about the time our midfield was the worst in the comp.
I think that’s a very generous hypothetical prediction on their potential output.

I think that’s a very generous hypothetical prediction on their potential output.

They won't be those players, but their strengths at their highest potential reflects those 3 players when assessing our list optimistically.

As an example of skillset dynamics and midfield combinations, those 3 would have us in a fantastic position.

Others I like (for either us or you if I'm honest):
LDU

I would love LDU at our club - but I would have to think that is going to cost two first rounders and during a rebuild it wouldn't be the price I want to pay.

Great win for your lads on the weekend also, 11 years later I think that win is the Suns finally announcing they are the real deal. Would love to see them get a few more wins in that tough run home and sneak into the 8 for Dew.

Games like yesterday (if repeated over rest of season) may give the club confidence to make some moves of a few senior players. May get unders but if we really want 7-10 picks in top 25/30 over 2-3 years need to trade players out.

Obviously not contending next year but also want to avoid cutting too hard and ending up like north (noting we’ve looked uncompetitive at times this year and had to pull in shiels/ howe etc).

But reckon we could sufficiently cover loss of chad, worpel, Mitchell next year (IF they wanted to move) - and would give us some much needed currency. Mitchell (despite the negativity) likely to have biggest impact. If BB sticks around that would help on the leadership front as well.

Chad - mid 2nd, Tom - early 2nd and late pick, worpel - late 2nd.

Use one to upgrade our existing 2nd to a first rounder. Keep one so still have a pick in 2nd round.

Use one to get a bowes type (although if a salary dump would be cheaper).

Use whatever left for Flanders, Dow and points for Lawrence.

..and hope that Wardlaw is still there at our first pick.

W
Games like yesterday (if repeated over rest of season) may give the club confidence to make some moves of a few senior players. May get unders but if we really want 7-10 picks in top 25/30 over 2-3 years need to trade players out.

Obviously not contending next year but also want to avoid cutting too hard and ending up like north (noting we’ve looked uncompetitive at times this year and had to pull in shiels/ howe etc).

But reckon we could sufficiently cover loss of chad, worpel, Mitchell next year (IF they wanted to move) - and would give us some much needed currency. Mitchell (despite the negativity) likely to have biggest impact. If BB sticks around that would help on the leadership front as well.

Chad - mid 2nd, Tom - early 2nd and late pick, worpel - late 2nd.

Use one to upgrade our existing 2nd to a first rounder. Keep one so still have a pick in 2nd round.

Use one to get a bowes type (although if a salary dump would be cheaper).

Use whatever left for Flanders, Dow and points for Lawrence.

..and hope that Wardlaw is still there at our first pick.
Worpel not leaving

No point putting him in hypotheticals anymore

Mitchell aint going for anything other then a first rounder (clubs in the window are going to get desperate)

Other then that, not bad

Flanders is one i want

W

Worpel not leaving

No point putting him in hypotheticals anymore

Mitchell aint going for anything other then a first rounder (clubs in the window are going to get desperate)

Other then that, not bad

Flanders is one i want
Why are you so convinced re worpel? You reply to every Worpel post that he’s not leaving - it’s a hypothetical thread. Are you James worpel? (Lol). Lots of water under bridge from now to trade week. Never imagined Lewis would go to Melbourne, buddy to Sydney croad to freo etc. But a guy who’s on fringe best 22 with a group of young guys rapidly improving at a club that’s needs draft capital its a perfectly reasonable hypothetical.

Why are you so convinced re worpel? You reply to every Worpel post that he’s not leaving - it’s a hypothetical thread. Are you James worpel? (Lol). Lots of water under bridge from now to trade week. Never imagined Lewis would go to Melbourne, buddy to Sydney croad to freo etc. But a guy who’s on fringe best 22 with a group of young guys rapidly improving at a club that’s needs draft capital its a perfectly reasonable hypothetical.

From memory that poster has had decent mail in the past.

Dont want to sound like a knob

And im more just trying to have people not waste their time posting hypotheticals with an aspect that isn't happening

Part of a hypothetical argument allows evidence to be applied to each query

But as it currently stands, Worpel will not be leaving Hawthorn, Geelong is the obvious link, and from an associate involved at Geelong, he wont be going down the highway to the Cats, he isn't interested, he is invested at Hawthorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back