Autopsy Hawks: 30 minutes not enough for 4 points...

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree the dropped mark was poor - obviously.
Agree we need a post-Roughy strategy.
I haven't yet watched the telecast, so he may have been more disappointing than i know.
But i think Roughy is still a one-on-one beast in the marking contest.

and...

I am not trying to be controversial, but i thought the game from Bruest was a very average 5 goal performance. Except for his exquisite kicking for goal, most of his chances came from perfect play up the field and delivery. He provided little noticeable pressure, and wasn't his normal creative threat. He is perhaps my favorite Hawk, so i`m glad he has got the 5... pure class.

Late to this party but I saw two or three clearance hand passes from Breust that resulted in goals, he also had a bag of tackles. Breust is a machine, not a highlight real.

Late to this party but I saw two or three clearance hand passes from Breust that resulted in goals, he also had a bag of tackles. Breust is a machine, not a highlight real.

i think you will agree it was less a criticism, more a marker of his game across his career. I have seen better 2 goal games from him.

i think you will agree it was less a criticism, more a marker of his game across his career. I have seen better 2 goal games from him.
I thought he played a much better game than I thought your comments indicated, hence I do not agree. He played very well and as a small forward made the most of every half chance that presented. Furthermore breaking free of scragging back men to get on the lead is not a straight forward as you obviously believe.

Not sold on the second half . Game was over when the kitchen was hot ' first half ' .
No sugar coating, Clarko needs to rip right into them, just not for this week but the rest of the year.
Clarko been asked a couple of times and he said he expects Top 4!

Yeah we'll rip into them for the rest of the year, as you seem to think, they'll need ripping into , for the rest of the year.

That must mean we're going to have beatings like that every week til the last day, hey?

Fair dinkum, Clarko doesn't predict anything , you should know that, and we are not all about last weeks game , we never are or ever have been.

And to those whodislike losing I hate it, but 8 goals to 3 , is a good effort pulled out of a good kicking, it means the other bloke has a few bruises too.

Teams need to keep their kitchen hot all day, neither North nor Hawthorn did that!

Now , Sicily has fire and passion and young person tough man syndrome, you need some mongrel in a few players , but Sicily must realise now that being OFF the ground doesn't help the club.
Being noticed as a hot head , especially with the likes of Ray and a couple of his mates, that free kicks may not come his way much any more?????

Have a think boyo?

And as we've seen, umpires are now actually creating outcomes , in a game that was never meant to have adjudicators become a clear and present danger, to the result, that stands for any club these days, terrible but true, with blind rule following umpires with no football instinct
Now Sic may want to be the new Dermie, but he isn't, and this game now does not allow it, so have another think young man.
Look a Lindsay Thomas he just can't help it, his days are done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should have tackled. That's the rule.
No it's not. That has never been the rule. What sport are you watching? The bump is legal. It has always been legal. Burton got him body to body. Accidental head clash, unlucky but no issue.

No it's not. That has never been the rule. What sport are you watching? The bump is legal. It has always been legal. Burton got him body to body. Accidental head clash, unlucky but no issue.
Why is this so hard to understand?

It’s like the info is always there, but people just want to ignore it & replace it with bulls**t that serves their purpose in a better way.

If you elect to bump and hit the head isn't that a suspension?

He should have tackled. That's the rule.
Yep, Burton should have driven his shoulder into Higgins' ribs while attempting to tackle. Probably would have put him out of the game longer with bruised or busted ribs.
Burton almost stopped dead in front of Higgins, rather than running through him as he could have. If Higgins had realised the contact was coming, he would have braced better for the contact.
I think Burton showed a great amount of care for Higgins as he could have done him cold into next year but didn't. That is what saved him at the tribunal, his intent.

Speaking of intent, Sicily had no malice with his gentle step on Atley, yet the snipper who pushed Mirra into the fence knew exactly what he was doing.

There is a moral to the story, and that is: "If you are tired because didn't get a good night's sleep, and therefore are not 100% alert, don't play footy; you could get hurt."

IMO this is the message the AFL should be promoting from the incident, and not whether or not Burton should be suspended.

On his own admission, Higgins said as much.

If you elect to bump and hit the head isn't that a suspension?
No the rule is written as if you elect to bump when you had another choice and head contact occurs you may be in trouble

not will be, may be

Higgins didn't have the ball so Burton couldn't tackle

I think the decision was correct and FWIW Burton was pretty shaken up by what happened and called Higgins to make sure he was ok afterwards, nothing malicious in it from that kid

No the rule is written as if you elect to bump when you had another choice and head contact occurs you may be in trouble

not will be, may be

Higgins didn't have the ball so Burton couldn't tackle

I think the decision was correct and FWIW Burton was pretty shaken up by what happened and called Higgins to make sure he was ok afterwards, nothing malicious in it from that kid

Yes Higgins mentioned that in his presser. I agree it wasn't malicious.

Yes Higgins mentioned that in his presser. I agree it wasn't malicious.
It also wasn't what I would call careless, the bump was executed correctly, it was an accidental head clash which can happen in a tackle or marking contest etc

I'm happy with the AFL saying he had no intent to injure, he wasn't careless in the action he took and the end result was an accident so we aren't going to penalize the player for that.

The issue we have is that in the past they did penalize the player for the accident, if they keep this consistency moving forward I think the shock will wear off and people will become more reasonable about it

at the moment all they can remember is when their bloke got rubbed out 3 years ago from the same sort of thing

the key really is consistency, if you are playing within the rules and its an accident you shouldn't wear the outcome, Thomas collected Selwood in the head with his shoulder so he goes, Le Cras and Burton don't and they get to play on

I'm happy with that as long as they keep too it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back