Preview Hawks vs Dockers - Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the game today and earlier gemes this year still don't see what the hoo hah is about Hooper. Was definitely not a standout in the past two weeks at BH nor was he today. Didnt think he was as effective as Carlos. The way people have raved on about him coming into the side over the past month it was like the second coming of Rioli was on its way. He needs to redirect some of his anger on the field back into his game.

11 Touches, 8 tackles and a goal. His foward pressure is what we need, he did his job well today. Anybody saying he should be dropped is surely joking.

Off the ball hit, camera showed it but it was bit hazy couldnt realy see if he punched or just pushed the Dees player..

If the hit people are talking about was the one in the last I think it was, where there was a ball up and he put a Melbourne player on their ass, from what I saw it was just push to the chest. May have been a punch but looked like a double handed push. Guess we'll see what comes of it.

Only change IMO.

In: Rioli
Out: Whitecross

Brown goes back to defence.

Out: whitex, Ossie
In: Rioli, young

Ossie has been in a slow decline since 08 and now that he is losing what little pace he had he is in real trouble. Coupled with his lack of finishing skills, his few possies (he's never been a big ball winner) are increasingly becoming less impacting and what's the go with him trying to take mark of the year all the time? he gives away far too many free kicks for stupid attempts that he is never going to get. Ossie and Laddo are in real trouble come end of season as we need to inject more pace and ball carrying ability into the side in quite a hurry.

I don't agree on this one. I thought Ossie was good, and I think he is important to us. He is athletic (doesn't look like he's lost THAT much pace to me), he's tough at the ball and the man (yes, too tough at the man sometimes), and he always has a crack. He can and does bob up with goals.

I don't see who we have outside the current 22 that could do the things he does as well or better.

The 'mark of the year' frees I reckon he's actually a bit stiff on sometimes. A lot of the time he IS very close to the ball, and he's not using his hands.

Having said that, I agree that some additional players with pace wouldn't go astray - I just think Ossie isn't the one to make way for them.

I certainly was, and my opinion was not formed purely on todays performance as I have seen him live plenty of times this year, and today's effort was no different to what he has dished up for most of the year. Ossie has been in a slow decline since 08 and now that he is losing what little pace he had he is in real trouble. Coupled with his lack of finishing skills, his few possies (he's never been a big ball winner) are increasingly becoming less impacting and what's the go with him trying to take mark of the year all the time? he gives away far too many free kicks for stupid attempts that he is never going to get. Ossie and Laddo are in real trouble come end of season as we need to inject more pace and ball carrying ability into the side in quite a hurry.

Couldn't agree with you re Osborne. I'll admit he hasn't reached 08 levels but it is obvious that this guy is one of our barometers, like the Essendon game you may have missed. I certainly wouldn't question his finishing skills in our forwardline, he is a better set shot than anyone else playing up there. He suffers from a lack of pace in today's game like Laddo does, but I wouldn't trade away what little potential depth we may have over it. Trading/Delisting away 27 y/o 120 game players on our list doesn't seem like the brightest idea at this stage, considering our 'window'. If pace is the issue I'd rather keep the experience and get rid of Moss/Suckling who are just as slow.

Does anyone know what Freo are doing this week? I don't think Sandilands is ready which is good and there is a handful of quality players that Freo are calling for a rest, such as Pavlich, Hill and Morabito.

Also will there other ruckman come under fire for breaking McGlynn's cheekbone?

Rioli in and Brown to the backline. WhiteX is the only obvious out. He always has a dip and will be a good player in the future, but just needs a bit more time to develop.

Thought Peterson was solid, although he loses his feet too often and fumbled a couple of times under pressure. He definitely gives us an X-factor which we need at the moment. Unless Ossie gets reported (shouldn't but he does play for us) then I think either Peterson, or Murphy (he played well and would be stiff) will make way for Young.

My take

Brown to go to the back line. Only go forward if ball is coming out too easily. I suspect Hooper, Peterson, Buddy, Osbourne (if available) won't let the ball come out too easily.

Rioli in and Brown to the backline. WhiteX is the only obvious out. He always has a dip and will be a good player in the future, but just needs a bit more time to develop.

Thought Peterson was solid, although he loses his feet too often and fumbled a couple of times under pressure. He definitely gives us an X-factor which we need at the moment. Unless Ossie gets reported (shouldn't but he does play for us) then I think either Peterson, or Murphy (he played well and would be stiff) will make way for Young.

No way in the world will they drop Murphy.

Cyril & Youngy (if fit) in, for WhiteXXX and possibly Ossie / Peto.

In: Young, Rioli

Out: WhiteX, Birchall

Has anyone noticed Birchall's appaling form lately? He's butchered the ball a few times when kicking....which is the last thing you want from a guy in defence.

Campbell Brown to go down back for pressure, burgoyne to give a bit of hodge-like kicking out of defence and defensive stoppages.

Does anyone know what Freo are doing this week? I don't think Sandilands is ready which is good and there is a handful of quality players that Freo are calling for a rest, such as Pavlich, Hill and Morabito.

Also will there other ruckman come under fire for breaking McGlynn's cheekbone?

Media in WA think Clarke has no case to answer and are torn with McPhee - Langdon and Gosich believe he will go.

Sandilands is becoming a conundrum I think - according to Harvey last week he could of played, today it was a case of he would of played with a injection and he may be right for this week or he could be out for a couple - read into that what you like. Word has it that Pavlich and Hill maybe rested but that is hearsay only - I think if there supporters had there way they would be sending a B team only, especially if it's going to be raining

Out: Whitecross, Osborne
In: Rioli, Young

I agree with those saying Brown needs to go down back. I am also very happy to see Ellis showing something yesterday. I hope he can follow it up against the Dockers this week.

Keep Peterson in the team, he needs another week and it would be harsh to judge his position considering the bad weather conditions yesterday. Getting Junior back in this week will help Peterson (and Hooper) in their roles, as well as inject some much needed pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Young is 100% then he comes in for Peterson (unlucky). Hooper needs game time, he's a gun - awesome forward pressure, creates goals from it.

Don't need another midfielder, Shiels stays out.

If Young is 100% then he comes in for Peterson (unlucky). Hooper needs game time, he's a gun - awesome forward pressure, creates goals from it.

Don't need another midfielder, Shiels stays out.

Agree with this.

I don't think Hooper, Peterson and Rioli can all play in the same side this year. All of them have a poor fitness base and can go missing from time to time. I'm sure in time they can all be elite outside mids/small forwards but we cannot carry all three this year.

For this reason either Hooper or Peterson must go out for Rioli.

I don't think Hooper, Peterson and Rioli can all play in the same side this year. All of them have a poor fitness base and can go missing from time to time. I'm sure in time they can all be elite outside mids/small forwards but we cannot carry all three this year.

I agree with this, and for me Hooper's aggression and tackling ferocity should see him stay in this week.

Out: Peterson (unlucky), Whitecross (going OK - will get better - but not in our best 22 yet with a fully fit list)

Replace Ahhhhh with Guerra. Needs a week or two out to get some confidence back.
Rubish has been our most consistant back all year FFS.........:rolleyes: if any-one from our back 6 needs a spell it's Murphy

In Junior Dasher

Out- Murphy Whitecroxx

Peterson has to stay shouldnt & won't be dropped

disagree Hooper allows Junior to play more midfield & was the reason we recruited him Peterson on form should stay IMO

How did F1 play in the magoo's any-one ???

Watching the game today and earlier gemes this year still don't see what the hoo hah is about Hooper. Was definitely not a standout in the past two weeks at BH nor was he today. Didnt think he was as effective as Carlos. The way people have raved on about him coming into the side over the past month it was like the second coming of Rioli was on its way. He needs to redirect some of his anger on the field back into his game.
hes played 5 games all year mate give him a couple of weeks to get into the groove, he was excellent in round 1 and against carlton and was having a blinder against the swans before doing the hammy again, 1st game in the 1s for 10 weeks, the expectations would have been to get him through the game and to contribute.. I completely disagree with the bolded part, i like that he has a bit of mongrel about him, perfect fit for our side, rioli is starting to show a bit of this as well, its a sign they arent going to tolerate being pushed around. Dont worry about hooper he will come good.

Coming onto these Changes and Discussion threads are the best way to figure out which posters know what they talking about.

Eg. Guerra and Murphy will not be dropped on form :confused::confused:

Anyways

Out: Whitecross, Ozzie (Suspended) Also had a Corked Calf

Wouldnt be surprised in Young doesnt play this week

Out: Whitecross, Hooper, Birchall
In: Rioli, Young, Shoenmakers

Whitecross is not quite good enough at the moment. He cost us two goals by poor disposal.

Birchall refuses to make body contact in marking contests and has no right side.

Hooper needs to refocus his energy on the ball and play with more controlled aggression.

disagree Hooper allows Junior to play more midfield & was the reason we recruited him Peterson on form should stay IMO

How did F1 play in the magoo's any-one ???

Yes that is the grand plan, but Hooper has missed 15 games through injury and didn't have a full pre-season. Rioli has been working through his groin injury and Peterson has just had his first ever full preseason after battling injury most of his football life.

I don't have champion data statistics but i think you will find between these three players they will spend a bit of time on the bench. If we play all 3 it means less rotations and more time on ground for the other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back