Preview Hawks vs Dockers - Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at those advocating the dropping of Hooper. That is why you don't make the decisions :)

You got your Taylor in and we all know how that turned out.

Out: Whitecross, Hooper, Birchall
In: Rioli, Young, Shoenmakers

Whitecross is not quite good enough at the moment. He cost us two goals by poor disposal.

Birchall refuses to make body contact in marking contests and has no right side.

Hooper needs to refocus his energy on the ball and play with more controlled aggression.

Are you serious???? Hooper?? thats the funniest thing I have heard all day.

But I do agree with Birchall. Lost the plot.

Rioli and Young in and Browny to be put down back!

On the freo board...

Long session this morning for some ,few missing,some on a very light program and a few who left mid session
Silvagni and Des put in full sessions with a group that incl some who played Sat ,that group incl Hill,Mora,Fyfe,Mcpharlin,Walters,Clark,Hase,Ibbo,Suba
and the maybes in Hinkley,Murphy etc.This group did the normal session,skills ,circle work then ran goal to goal sprints,worked extremely hard.
Crowley did the skills sessions then ran shuttles,
Tarrent did the skills but had a full brace on the knee
Mundy started the session with heavy thigh strapping and left early appeared to be very sore
Pav,Johnno,Broughton,Duff did the skills than ran the sprint,rest lap runs ,all worked hard
Sandi,Balla did the skills and left the track,both reappeared after the session with Sandi running laps and Balla doing some extra skills work with suban,Sandi looked ok but Balla still limping
Mcphee,Grover missing and De Boer had strapping on the right knee and didnt train
Make what you will of all that but I reckon a lot to be rested this week

Media in WA think Clarke has no case to answer and are torn with McPhee - Langdon and Gosich believe he will go.

Sandilands is becoming a conundrum I think - according to Harvey last week he could of played, today it was a case of he would of played with a injection and he may be right for this week or he could be out for a couple - read into that what you like. Word has it that Pavlich and Hill maybe rested but that is hearsay only - I think if there supporters had there way they would be sending a B team only, especially if it's going to be raining

No surprise really, absolutely A-grade flogs the both of them.

I have a feeling we'll almost be throwing this game with resting of key players to make sure we're fit and firing for the Carlton game; which is a shame because I think this has the potential to be a pretty good game.

Hawks by 34.

I have a feeling we'll almost be throwing this game with resting of key players to make sure we're fit and firing for the Carlton game; which is a shame because I think this has the potential to be a pretty good game.

Hawks by 34.

Hope you're right, we could do with a game to play us into form.

Out: Whitecross, Guerra
In: Rioli, Shiels or Young

Give Young another weeks rest so he can gallop around against the Pies.

Surely Shiels gets a run after his monster game on the weekend for Box Hill.

Guerra, to me, hasn't been up to it of late. Making some very poor decisions. You could add Birchall here too but he played better in the second half yesterday.

In the end it'll be:

Out: Whitecross
In: Rioli

Hawks by 34.

That would be my guess too. Long trip to cold Tassie. Rest a few and beat Carlton the following week at home and you've got yourselves a final in Perth, probably against Carlton again.

Haven't seen the Dees match, but:

Rioli in is easy. And it seems WhiteX is the clear favourite to make room for him.

Young, if fit, is in our best 22, so who makes space for him? Ozzie seems a popular choice, but to me they play quite different roles. Perhaps for Birch, running off half-back and booting it long? With Young's new-found defensive abilities, this could be an option.

Don't see him replacing Goo though (or Murphy for that matter).

Perhaps whoever out of the midfield/half-back/half-forward brigade is most in need of a rest gets it.

Hooper gives away silly free kicks. Peterson is a better bet at the moment. I also think we lack a tall defender hence Shoenmakers to come back in.

No surprise really, absolutely A-grade flogs the both of them..

In fairness to them both they thought he would be cited for unduly rough play but were torn re: how the mrp would see it. As for being A-grade flogs I think they are streets ahead of many of the other so called commentators in this state and both call the game and comment on the game quite fairly I think.

Do you expect him to take Pavlich?

Personally I would like to see Stratton on him - I think he would be a pretty good fit for how Pav goes about his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so Birchall got 21 touches at 81% efficiency, laid 5 tackles, had 4 rebound 50's, 1 inside 50, and was named in the hawks best for about the 7th or 8th time this year and you want to drop him... if you were talking to yourself that would be the second funniest thing you've heard all day surely? :D

Drop Guerra and Murphy???? They are first two players you would pick in defence right now. Ahead of Stratton and Gilham.

Murphy is top dozen or so players in competition for not conceding goals. That would mean if you had an All Australian side he would make the B team based on defence. He played on Silvya in first quarter last week and they had to move Syliva to the midfield because as usual Murphy was toweling his opponent up.

Le Cras, Betts, Alwyn Davey, Banfield and Varcoe have all been victims of Murphy this year. Averages by far the least clangers in the side. Outstanding.

Is Young even going to be fit this week? His speed would be handy if he was.

I agree Osborne and Whitecross would be dropped if Young and Rioli come back in. Unfortunately someone has to go out. I still think he may be in our best 22, especially come finals. The counter to that is that apart from a few good games this season his been not up to standard in too many games. Goes missing too often and hasn't been able to influence enough contests. Peterson and Hooper provide a lot more pressure and tackling and that's why they get the nod.

I'm surprised at the suggestion Freo will rest a few players this weekend to make sure they are fully manned for the Carlton game the following week. They will then be putting all their eggs in one basket against Carlton to ensure a home final. It would be a poor strategy in my opinion.

god you can spin murphy's stats however you want...just gotta watch the game to see what kind of footballer he is - not a great one.

unfortunately we haven't got a better replacement for him right now, says more about our depth in the back half than Murphy's ability.

In saying all that - he has improved immensely this year...but boy did he need to.

Also agree with those pointing out Guerra's lack of form at the moment, seems to be going through a rough patch. Not worth dropping though.

I'll stick with INS rioli, young
OUT white x (no brainer) Ozzie

Dropping Ozzie is harsh, but peterson, hooper, rioli in forward 50 has plenty of speed/defensive pressure/goal smarts/ x factor = big potential.

god you can spin murphy's stats however you want...just gotta watch the game to see what kind of footballer he is - not a great one.

unfortunately we haven't got a better replacement for him right now, says more about our depth in the back half than Murphy's ability.

In saying all that - he has improved immensely this year...but boy did he need to.

Also agree with those pointing out Guerra's lack of form at the moment, seems to be going through a rough patch. Not worth dropping though.

I'll stick with INS rioli, young
OUT white x (no brainer) Ozzie

Dropping Ozzie is harsh, but peterson, hooper, rioli in forward 50 has plenty of speed/defensive pressure/goal smarts/ x factor = big potential.

You spin Murphy's stats however you want and then we can have an argument. Till then you opinion is completely worthless and you can crawl back to where you came from.

that's my point Roby, I'm not going to spin his stats - when you watch a game its hard not to notice some things he does poorly. Decision making with the ball, misreading the play, putting team mates under the pump.

but I'll say it again, he has come a long long way and is improving. I'm not calling for him to be dropped, but to say he would make the B team of an all australian side is a bit far fetched mate...you're kind of exposing your lack of a clue here.

This is what i think:
Osborne the unlucky one:

FB: Guerra Gilham Murphy
HB: Stratton Gibson Birchall
C: Young? Mitchell Bateman
HF: Lewis Franklin Burgoyne
FF: Hooper Roughead Rioli
FOLL: Renouf Hodge Sewell
INTER: Ellis Peterson Skipper Brown
EMERG: Osborne, Shiels, Muston

IN: Rioli, Young?
OUT: Whitecross, Osborne?

Murphy the unlucky one:
FB: Guerra Gilham Brown
C: Young? Mitchell Bateman
FF: Hooper Roughead Rioli
INTER: Ellis Peterson Skipper Osborne
EMERG: Murphy, Shiels, Muston

IN: Rioli, Young?
OUT: Whitecross, Murphy?

Young doesn't play?:
FB: Guerra Gilham Murphy
C: Hooper Mitchell Bateman
FF: Brown Roughead Rioli
INTER: Ellis Peterson Skipper Osborne
EMERG: Shiels, Muston, Lisle

IN: Rioli
OUT: Whitecross

What looks better?

I would bring in Rioli for Whitecross. Then drop Bateman for Young.

Bateman to Boxhill to regain form. Has been one of our most disapointing players this year :( Hopfully it would be the kick up the backside that he needs and he will explode in the finals.

I'm surprised at the suggestion Freo will rest a few players this weekend to make sure they are fully manned for the Carlton game the following week. They will then be putting all their eggs in one basket against Carlton to ensure a home final. It would be a poor strategy in my opinion.

Throwing this game would be completely anti the meme coming from our club all year; "every game is the same, one week at a time, it's about the weekly process, no game is different to the other, we want to win every game".

It would be the wrong message to our group and bad strategy, especially if we stuff up the last home game; we could end up with an away final against Carlton or Sydney!

Interested to hear if you blokes reckon Rioli can pick up the pace straight away - he's had a couple of quieter ones hasn't he this year? Pity we won't have Ballantyne to annoy Brown - that would be something to see. :thumbsu:

You spin Murphy's stats however you want and then we can have an argument. Till then you opinion is completely worthless and you can crawl back to where you came from.

Who the hell are you to say anyone's opinion is worthless?? He has as much righ to express an opinion here as anyone else. Stats can be used to tell any story you wish. Murphy has improved immensely this year, but as Glebe rightfully said, he needed too. He still has moments you worry about, and to even suggest he'd be in an AA B team is ridiculous.

Murphy is in no danger of getting dropped, he is becoming a very handy player but still needs to improve some areas of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back