Review Hawthorn 2022 - Mid-season review - Liked, Learnt, Hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's bye week, and a time to reflect on the season to date.

What have you liked about what you've seen?

What have you learnt about the side or the output?

What have you hated about our season to date?

Liked - Development of a fast ball movement style, leading to more scoring opportunities...still a sporadic work in progress, but visible

Learned - Reeves will be crucial to our progression to a team that actually wins it out of the middle.

Hated - Losing to the scum after playing mediocre football for three quarters, only to be overrun in the last a la 1984, leading a media wankfest about the miracle on grass. Truly sickening.

Liked - the new gameplan and ball movement. The development of Jai, Moore, Reeves, Lewis. The vibe of the club and players. The new direction.

Learned. - it will take time but we're on the right track. It will turn quicker than you think. We are finally playing the right way.

Hated - red time goals against and fade outs. The scum loss was one of the most sickening things I've had to sit through.

Loved - new, more attacking game plan and players playing to their strengths. Mitchell as coach. Emergence of young talent showing the future is bright. Nothing better than seeing Newcombe or Jiath or Lewis in full flight.

Learned - not to get too caught up in the results. Even players you thought you had a handle on can continue to surprise with their form, mostly for the good but occasionally bad. Patience.

Hated - season ending injuries and worrying concussions.

Liked - The attacking game Mitchell is developing. The development of Lewis and Newcombe.
Learned - We think our defence is good, but except for Norf and Bumblers, we have had the most points scored against us in the competition.
Hated - Missing a ruckman for so many games and our disappearance from games so regularly.

Liked - gameplan, development of kids, improvement in Lewis, Sic's return to form

Learnt - we didn't get our list management right with not enough ruck depth, Jai could be anything, Gunners looks like his body won't let him get back to what he was

Hated - dealing with new rules and umpiring inconsistencies, Worps' form, Day's body, concussions

Its a good read full of optimism really.
I just hope that the comments by Harvs are genuine which I think they would be.

I was most interested in the Phillips review. It sounds like he is best 22 when many here had him shipped out and done at the HFC.

Liked:
  1. AFL / VFL is having a full season no more Covid interruptions / games rescheduled
  2. The return of the public to AFL and VFL games
  3. The coach and club's approach from within and the public face including media. They have been a lot more involved and transparent.
  4. Our coaches, game style and direction of the club. Including the reintroduction of kennedy's commandos in preseason
  5. Veteran game milestones 200 and 250 games
  6. The return of James ******* Sicily and Jack ******* Gunston
  7. The emergence of Mitch Lewis, Jai Newcombe and Conor Nash
  8. Kosi and Callow picking up the slack in the ruck
  9. Our overall performance this year as a team couldn't be prouder
Learnt:
  1. Patience is a really hard virtue when you are emotionally invested.
  2. Got a bit of an insight into coaching some of our younger players and what they have to offer at AFL level. Interesting how they have been used in the system their role changes etc.
  3. Second half of the year is going to be better than the first half given what we have served up thus far.
Hated:
  1. The bye rounds(Yes I am being selfish) especially having the AFL and VFL byes at the same time.
  2. Our inconsistency of effort and skill (even though it is to be expected)
  3. Injuries especially to our ruck division and to players like Day and Impey
  4. Our heavy losses

Liked - The youth, there’s plenty to like and on every line. The forward line with Gunston returning has been great, Lewis has been simply dominant, Butler has come in and shown plenty, CMac as a half forward so clean 🧼, Moore has been good and just keep him forward his role as a HF who can play wing and in the middle but mainly as a forward where he’s been at a near AA level already. Breust forever classy and ageing like a fine wine 🍷.

The midfield been hated on but there’s abit to like. Jaeger seems to be getting back to his best which is good as a HF and mid dynamic. Mitchell taking more HF role on but still able to be the dominant inside mid we need, Duke being the king himself the pure balance of his game and a possible rising star award. Reeves has been super as a tap ruck but has made heaps of progression in efforts offensively and defensively across the ground. Nash has been a revelation in the middle as the big bash and crash man. We’ve seen Day in there at times which is super exciting. And young Ward, showed plenty. Some dissatisfied and disappointed but he’s a kid who has an elite workrate and set of skills and could become a superstar ⭐️ of the competition, patience is 🔑.

And the defense has been pretty good. Sicily has been probably the best in the league, while we’ve seen CJ really dominate games. Scrim is really becoming a favourite he’s as reliable as anyone but so many strengths he’s a superstar in the making. Hardwick solid as a rock down there every week really underrated. Frosty the versatility and excitement machine has been pretty solid down there and all over tho injured now. Hartigan has done a job and DGB showed plenty early and really took some games by the scruff of the neck and said hey you’re not getting past me.

Learnt - there’s been a fair bit to learn, learnt Sammy Mitchell is a genius for one. But for two we’ve got the right coaches taking us. Robert Harvey was a very good midfielder and has been a good midfield coach. You know that you’re in good hands with him and Sam. Newman is and always has been a good defensive coach and we adore Hale who’s unlocked so much in our forward line. Hickmott been impressive overall and the big Monk himself has had a tough job with the ruck injuries but has done brilliantly.

I’ve also learnt that we’ve just gotta have patience but also learning that there’s so much we don’t know yet and won’t know for a while, until Sam and the team unlocks it. 🔓

Disliked - The injuries, it’s sucked big time. The fade outs late in games, the regressions in some players (tho there’s always time to progress again). The end of players that you can see (McEvoy and Shiels aren’t far off ;(). Some decisions that have been baffling, understand that we need to improve and progress the youth but there’s no point going from one elder to another for example. Not playing Mitchell in the midfield more often than Jaeger. 60/40 Mitchell’s way makes us way better without ruining team structure and youth progression while it improves the team and the two players. And if you’re taking away mid time give it to the kids and not other elder players.

Plenty to love, plenty to dislike and plenty look forward to in the run home and back half of ‘22.

Get keen 🤪

• Liked- 2021 draft haul has the making of our best haul since 2004 Ward, Butler and MacDonald all just look classy and had special moments where i've been nodding/grinning like Jack Nicholson, Serong and Long also backing up some nice performances in the VFL.
  • Moore and CJ backing up their rise from last, Kosi building nicely on his burst out year, Newcombe and Lewis have exploded on to the scene as genuine weapons.
  • Game plan is actually attractive to watch and looks to threaten

Learnt:
  1. Patience is a really hard virtue when you are emotionally invested.
  2. Got a bit of an insight into coaching some of our younger players and what they have to offer at AFL level. Interesting how they have been used in the system their role changes etc.
  3. Second half of the year is going to be better than the first half given what we have served up thus far.
This.
I don't think 4 wins is a true reflection on how we are going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - New game style
Sams coaching and media performance
Opportunity for all players to show their wares
Team/Club atmosphere and vibe

Learnt
We have more decent talent than many think
Lewis is a gun player heading towards being one of the best KF in the comp
Sicily has come back from injury better and is elite
Nailed last years draft
We will be a very good side with patience

Dislike
Leaking goals although expected with this game plan
Injuries - we seem to cop a few weekly
Draw - how on earth do we cop one of the hardest draws after 3 seasons in the bottom 6 ????

Liked - New game plan. No more dour defensive footy and going out all guns blazing. Giving our young forwards a chance.
Sam is a genius both on field and managing the media.
Our performances coming off the back of young players who are also driving the standards for the future. Probably one of the best 4-9 teams in a long time based on performance.
Lewis, Moore, Morrison etc stepping up as young leaders.
Most watchable footy since our 3peat days.
Nash and Nuke are the Bruise Brothers and they are on a mission from god.

Learnt - Never as bad or as good as it seems. Lot to be excited by but must also temper our expectations. These are young kids after all.

Dislike - Poor goal line defending has not only cost us goals but premiership points. Red time goals shits me up the wall.
Injuries to key personnel. Ruckstocks took a pounding.
Losing games that we shouldn't lose. Essendon. Should have put Sydney away. Poor goal kicking let us down vs Melbourne.

Its a good read full of optimism really.
I just hope that the comments by Harvs are genuine which I think they would be.

I was most interested in the Phillips review. It sounds like he is best 22 when many here had him shipped out and done at the HFC.
Really liked the comments on Nash as well, that he makes others better with his work in and around contests. Exactly what we needed.

Lots to like. The game plan is a work in progress but is coming along well and will continue to develop. Newcombe and Lewis have emerged as major talents. Sicily has recovered his best form and JOM is in close to career best form. Nash has consolidated the midfield/utility role. The new recruits look promising and the coaching team seems to be working well.

Learnings. Mitchell is the right choice. He has the temperament, the passion and the brain to succeed as a coach. He has matured as a person.

Hate. The losses to St Kilda, Gold Coast and Essendon were embarrassing and disheartening. I know it is part of the rebuild process but those kinds of capitulations have to be unacceptable if we want to become contenders.

Like the kids: Ward, Butler and MacDonald. Very early days but all have shown a lot to like

Like: Mitchell Lewis. Wow. How TF did we get him?

Like: Jai and Nash hurting many in the midfield.

Like: Intercept markers are the best in the comp imo. Sicily, CJ and Scrimerz. Wowee

Like: Reeves is looking great. Yay for a decent ruck

Curious: DGB and Day. Both have talent. Where will Day play and will DGB gain bulk and endurance?

Curious: Kosi - can he be the twin tower to Mitch. How amazing if it can happen

Love: More often than not we don’t give up and have a great culture under Sam.

Dislike: Midfield needs more class. Jai has helped here but we need pace and an a grader or two

Small forwards: Moore is amazing. Bruest is getting old. Need more in this department

Tall Defender: Is DGB enough? Not sure

All in all - this is a young side with a new coach. You’re going to have s**t times and good times. Sam’s focus on progress each week is excellent and you can see the work already

I feel okay. Gameplan is irrelevant outside of results to me, real sexy footy is winning footy, and results also arent the focus right now. Seeing as most of the takes seem to be the same i'll just add my thoughts. Most sports around the world start with a defensive focus with young teams but we have some unusual circumstances in team makeup.

Coachwise Mitchell has had his ups and downs as expected, good that he doesnt seem set in any particular way, unsurprisingly very Clarkson-like in terms of rotating players around the ground.

Developmentally the clear focus should be spine + midfield to build a core, and its too early to say anything for certain. As harsh as it is on young stars like Jiath, Moore and Lewis i'd feel less nervous if we had more guys being sure things to solidify us structurally and around the ground but that looks years away (and i do like DGB and Koschitzke, gotta give em time). Nash I like watching but dont really rate long term tbh, ice cold take to some that love an athletic goer I know, so Newcombe is the only big win so far for me, arguably Reeves too considering his age for a ruck.

Not too high or low on anyone, Worpel looked a sure thing a few years ago.

Liked: Nash & Newcombe as brutal,bruising bad boys!
Liked: Sicily's reading of the flight of the ball. Superb.
Liked: Jack Scrimshaw and C.J. as half-backs. 8 or 9
years of this to look forward to.
Liked: The coaching team. Sam is excellent and has a fine
group of assistants. I'm very pleased that Chris Newman
signed on for a few more years. My Richmond mates want
him at Tigerland. Too bad. He's ours.
Liked: Mitch Lewis. The best is yet to come! Same with Ned Reeves.

Hated:Tyler Brockman's injury and rumours of his immanent departure.
I have high hopes for him. He could be a gun.
Hated:Ben McEvoy's injury. He deserved to go out on his terms. A great
servant of the club.
Hated:As others have said, the last quarter disappearing acts against *
and Sydney. Painful to experience.

I am optimistic about our future and I am enjoying the ride. Best is yet
to come.

Liked:
1. Watching us take the game on regularly
2. Form of Lewis, Newk, Sicily, Dimma, Morrison, Moore, CJ and Scrim
3. The look of the new draftees. Think we have 3 potential guns.
4. Wins against Port, Geelong and Brisbane
5. Jaeger, Nash and Kosi working nicely into the season after slow starts

Learnt:
1. We need more quality in the midfield
2. DGB is still raw but plenty to work with
3. Reeves will be a top flight ruck
4. Our game plan stacks up
5. Lewis on the brink of becoming one of the best KPF

Disliked:
1. Fades out against Shitney and Essendon
2. Injuries
3. Form of a few younger guys who I thought would take the next step
4. The debacles against St Kilda and GC
5. Centre clearance work

Liked
- the emergence of Newcombe, Lewis and Moore

- Mitchell's refreshing game plan and his engagement with the media

- decent performances in losses that doesn't adversely affect our draft position

- the development of Finn, who I'm backing in all the way

- the promise and excellent character shown by Ward, Butler, DGB, Finn and MacDonald

- Sicily returning to elite defender form

- JOM and Mitchell (the former in particular) embracing a new role in the side, and being able to still contribute

Learned
- I'm a great judge of talent, see Lewis

- I'm a terrible judge of talent, see Nash

- Wouldn't so much say learned as reaffirmed - our backline talent is deep and has so much potential: Scrimshaw, Sicily, CJ, Hardwick and DGB should be forming the core of a brilliant defensive unit

- If conventional medical wisdom is to be believed, as evidenced by Sicily, then players coming back from long term injuries (breaks, ACL's, etc) really require 18 months off to get back to their best. At the least it takes multiple years to fully recover. So hopefully Impey shows his true potential again later in the season.

Disliked
- injury issues to Downie, who has a rare talent and I am desperate for him to succeed

- potential concussion issues for prized draftee Ward

- Day's struggles. Was tipping him to take off this season. There's still time though

- Worpel's continued regression

Liked
  • The return of the Blonde Prince (Sicily). He is having a season for the ages in 2022
  • The new attacking gameplan which is great to watch when its on and Mitch's overall performance as a coach and figurehead of the club
  • Continued strong performance of our young backline stars in CJ and Scrimshaw
  • Forward line firepower being provided by Lewis, Moore and lesser extent Kozzy
  • Newcombe could literally be anything, he is a special talent

Learned
  • Nash might actually be a player. I'll cop that one as I thought he was no chance (well done to the fella)
  • The importance of having suitable ruck stocks on your list to cover for worst case scenarios

Disliked
  • Our midfield mix is still way off the pace. Still need heaps of work in this area. Need to get simultaneously bigger, quicker and more skilled!
  • That we keep losing to bottom 4 sides. Says a fair bit about the mental fragility of the team when they are expected to win they go to water.

Overall more positives than negatives.

Liked - corridor footy and kicking scores.
  • progression of our elite talent picked late in the draft i.e., lewis, newk, Morrison etc.
  • Newcombe bringing a new attacking dimension to our midfield (didn't see that coming)
  • Clarkson's ability to say literally nothing over the course of a press conference is gone
  • play kid

Learnt- Sam Mitchell is a really savvy media operator. He has changed the external narrative about our club and is refreshingly candid (even singling out individuals)
- we aren't too far off the pace.

Hated - day's injury interrupted year.
  • brad scott and his negative impact on footy
  • our centre bounce work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back