Unofficial Preview Hawthorn Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I'm really off it today.

231 points short, you can take the deficit or I'll make you an offer.

Future 4th

For your Future 2nd.

Lets you get JayDay and potentially Munkara late.

Done. I've scored 3 talents I rate as first rounders in this draft. Happy to miss out on a second rounder next year.

Pick 26 - Ed Allan - North Melbourne
Pick #26 - North Melbourne - Edward Allan

You know those things in the sky called clouds? Yeah well that's where this kid has come from.

He has all the attributes to be a modern footballer and a bloody good one at that.
Height, pace, athleticism, endurance and a great pedigree being the son of Ben who carved out a great career with the Hawks and Freo but sadly we won't have access to him as a father son as Ben fell two bloody games short of 100.

Not sure he lasts this long in the real draft as there are numerous clubs very keen and you cannot blame them really.

It's hard to say where his best position might end up but he has that much going for him he will be a scary match up regardless.

Brings something very different to Sheezel and Wardlaw and anything else North currently have for that matter. With North recently putting a dagger in the career of Pittard they should pump games into this guy early.

Might be a slight risk being from WA but I could not ignore his talent at this pick.

Last edited:
Pick 27 - Coby Burgiel - Hawthorn
183cm 80kg - Versatile Midfielder

Lightning fast and with a ton of upside, Coby Burgiel is a dynamic, impactful runner with the capacity to play anywhere on the ground and the speed to make big plays when they matter. Playing everywhere from half back to full forward throughout his campaign with the Gippsland Power and Vic Country teams, Coby slices up teams on the spread with impressively clean skills and brilliant vision when moving into the forward line. He's a savant out in space where his blistering speed let him run circles around opponents, and his repeat effort sees him get involved multiple times in scoring chains. Where he needs to improve is his kicking under pressure, where he takes contact and is prone to banging it on the boot if there isn't an easy handpass available, as well as building up consistent stoppage time. He's a great player in open space but needs a bit of training to push to become a stoppage mainstay. The good news is he's a natural forward as well, using his speed and leap to create space for one-on-one marks and a good sense of where the goals are. I'd see him filling in the CMac role this year as a half-forward who's building up to some midfield time.

Also Considered: Henry Hustwaite, Max Gruzewski

Hawker399 for the pies up now.

183cm 80kg - Versatile Midfielder

Lightning fast and with a ton of upside, Coby Burgiel is a dynamic, impactful runner with the capacity to play anywhere on the ground and the speed to make big plays when they matter. Playing everywhere from half back to full forward throughout his campaign with the Gippsland Power and Vic Country teams, Coby slices up teams on the spread with impressively clean skills and brilliant vision when moving into the forward line. He's a savant out in space where his blistering speed let him run circles around opponents, and his repeat effort sees him get involved multiple times in scoring chains. Where he needs to improve is his kicking under pressure, where he takes contact and is prone to banging it on the boot if there isn't an easy handpass available, as well as building up consistent stoppage time. He's a great player in open space but needs a bit of training to push to become a stoppage mainstay. The good news is he's a natural forward as well, using his speed and leap to create space for one-on-one marks and a good sense of where the goals are. I'd see him filling in the CMac role this year as a half-forward who's building up to some midfield time.

Also Considered: Henry Hustwaite, Max Gruzewski

Hawker399 for the pies up now.
And he's a Hawks fan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 28 - Adam D'Aloia - Collingwood
Very annoying TDS. I had Pick 28 earmarked for Burgiel was on my radar. At least he goes to the Hawks. So who will it be now.

Adam D'Aiola (Mid) 186cms 86kgs.

Rationale: He is the best centre square midfielder that remains. He is not flashy or electric but he is very reliable. A coal face, 1st possession player. He knows his own game back to front. Collingwood (in fact all teams) need players like D'Aiola that get the ball and feed it out to others. He reminds me a bit like Luke Ball post injuries. I.e. unlikely to get 3 Brownlow votes but will finish high up in the Magpies B & F.
Excellent with ball in hand and a decent kick. He won't flash down the outer wing at the MCG but pretty slick inside a stoppage. Could play next season.

Others considered: Charlie Clarke, Harry Lemney, Jaxon Binns and Max Gruzewski

Very annoying TDS. I had Pick 28 earmarked for Burgiel was on my radar. At least he goes to the Hawks. So who will it be now.

Adam D'Aiola (Mid) 186cms 86kgs.

Rationale: He is the best centre square midfielder that remains. He is not flashy or electric but he is very reliable. A coal face, 1st possession player. He knows his own game back to front. Collingwood (in fact all teams) need players like D'Aiola that get the ball and feed it out to others. He reminds me a bit like Luke Ball post injuries. I.e. unlikely to get 3 Brownlow votes but will finish high up in the Magpies B & F.
Excellent with ball in hand and a decent kick. He won't flash down the outer wing at the MCG but pretty slick inside a stoppage. Could play next season.

Others considered: Charlie Clarke, Harry Lemney, Jaxon Binns and Max Gruzewski
FML

Pick 30 - Charlie Clarke - Collingwood
Pick 30
Charlie Clarke - 182cms 73kgs

As an Under 18 has played as a mid and small forward. His highlights have tended to be around goal. However his midfield efforts are strong enough and he contributed to Sandy Dragons during the season. Clarke is quick and knows where the goals are. His disposal nos. are not prolific but his touches are productive. He can take a mark. Not screamers but a solid mark. He should be able to form part of midfield rotations whilst being a goal threat. He reminds of Michael Osborne a bit.

Rationale: Best available yes. Most likely to be a 100 game plus player. Should fit in Collingwood's style as he will do his best without needing to be the centre of attention. Would add to the forward pressure needed in today's game.

Considered: Lemney, Vickery, Binns

Pick 31 - Mitch Szybkowski - St Kilda
With pick 31, St Kilda select Mitch Szybkowski

Height: 186cm

Weight: 86kg

D.O.B: 09-01-2004

With Clarke and Hustwaite just taken, Mitch was too high on my list not to pick. Even though he's another stoppage leaning mid to go with MacKenzie, I'll get some variety later.

An important part of all three of his teams; Dandenong Stingrays, Caulfield Grammar and Vic Country, Mitch Szybkowski has played his role as a bigger bodied midfielder superbly all year. Not the flashiest of ball winners himself, Szybkowski is very much ‘what you see is what you get’ with his current game, using his frame and positioning around stoppages to get to the fall of the ball and win first possession, then handball off to an outside runner well. In saying that, Szybkowski’s outside craft is an area that has seen some rapid development through the season as well, accumulating more and more away from stoppages as the year has gone on, working especially hard to be a handball receiver from teammates who had taken a mark or earned a free kick.

That work rate is a trait that is present in all phases of the game, working hard to accumulate around the ground in offence, but also showing off his defensive accountability with tackles from stoppages, rarely having an opponent shake him off when he had got a hand to them. Szybkowski is one of the better players in the draft for spreading from the contest, or getting to spots that give his defenders an easy option up the ground, often getting free from opposition and moving the ball on quickly.

Complimenting all of this is Szybkowski’s decision making with ball in hand, with his ability to quickly assess his options even under pressure making him a generally damaging player despite winning so much of the ball at the coalface, with his hands in close a standout feature in his game, seemingly knowing where his options are going to be even before he’s fully won control of the ball, often finding options through traffic to fully release his teammates. When in open play and allowed more time to assess options, Szybkowski maintains a good balance between his kicking and handballing, as one that prefers a more precise option he rarely takes the easy kick down the line option when many other players would.

As mentioned, Szybkowski does the bulk of his work on the inside of the contest, with his contested game and stoppage craft two areas he excels at, using his size to his advantage but more than capable of matching it with bigger bodies, as showcased in the AFL Academy game against the Collingwood VFL where he was one of the more reliable midfielders on the day.

Looking towards the future, there are still some areas of Szybkowski’s game that could do with some improvement. His kicking, whilst generally good, has been inconsistent at times, especially when he’s moving at top speed, and if improved will round his game really well. Szybkowski has also flagged his speed and acceleration as an area he wants to improve on to allow him more separation around stoppages and when up forward. Given the strides he has taken in terms of outside running, adding versatility with scoreboard impact and more damaging overall ball use will lift his profile - only adding to his great strengths.

Next is chopflop for the Blues I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back