Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont know how after 4 years, DGB can be labelled anything but a dud, a couple of games here or there doesnt matter. You say take time but compare to the key position players from that top 10 to see how little he's shown in comparison.

Ward I'll apologise, say there is time to show me up though I still think he'll be a good to ok AFL player with no elite traits.
“DGB hasn’t shown any signs at any level”
I show where he has.
“A few games aren’t of importance”

He’s shown his talents, that’s the point. You’re missing it entirely.

Ward will be a very good player and you throw shade again with “no elite traits” laughable.

Hate when people just throw random opinions, calling players duds and spuds and generally shitting on players. People need to realise there are players family’s and I’m sure people apart of the industry all through big footy. It’s just useless and shows where these people sit in their opinions and how valid they are.

Ward is 20 years old.
He’s not had a great start to 2024, but which of our mids have.
He was averaging 20 disp a game last year, off the wing.

He looks like goes going to be a very good 200 game midfielder to my eyes.

As for DGB not showing anything at all, you must have missed his first few games. He had Kane Cornes pumping him up as the best kid in the draft at that stage.
He wasn’t just throwing a random name out there.

You must have missed his recent - and intermittent - games. Has shown very little to indicate he is going to be an AFL player, sorry mate. What little I did see was some promise forward of the ball, not behind it.

And to the overall discussion here Gibcus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DGB.

14 of his last 21 games at VFL level. He isnt in bottom 4 Hawthorn’s best 22.

Do you want me to call him an AFL superstar so you feel better about your bust?
“He’s a fourth year player stuck in the VFL at a rebuilding Hawthorn who are crying out for a gun CHB”.

For someone to spend as much time thinking and posting about Hawthorn that’s one hell of a miss.

"DGB has shown nothing at any level"

"DGB has shown something but it doesn't count"

Usually posters wait a couple of posts before shifting goal posts but you ran straight to it.
If you’re going to be a smart arse you should at least quote accurately. I said anything at the level, not any level. Me giving a Hawks supporter a tiny bone for “a couple of games” that I don’t really agree with is not contradicting that.

“He’s a fourth year player stuck in the VFL at a rebuilding Hawthorn who are crying out for a gun CHB”.

For someone to spend as much time thinking and posting about Hawthorn that’s one hell of a miss.

He is a fourth year player
He plays more VFL than AFL
He is not best 22 when fit
Hawthorn have a deplorable defence

Bust

You must have missed his recent - and intermittent - games. Has shown very little to indicate he is going to be an AFL player, sorry mate. What little I did see was some promise forward of the ball, not behind it.

And to the overall discussion here Gibcus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DGB.
No, I saw his games. They were lackluster at best, but our entire backline was that way for a lot of those games too.

He kicked a couple of bags at Box Hill, so I thought he may have found a new home, but his summer never really got going and now he’s 1-2 weeks away from returning…to which end, I’m not entirely sure.

He is a fourth year player
He plays more VFL than AFL
He is not best 22 when fit
Hawthorn have a deplorable defence

Bust
You didn’t even know he was even injured.

If you’re going to be a smart arse you should at least quote accurately. I said anything at the level, not any level.
Ok.
Mate, I'm sorry but DGB is a dud until he shows literally anything at the level. Ward looks an ok AFL player but doesnt have traits to be a gun, just helps you tread water. Do you think he can be anywhere near the level of Serong, Anderson, Rowell, Brayshaw, Green, Gulden, Walsh, Warner. All of these guys show a lot very quickly. This is my point with rebuilding, it's not even ok to just hit on "decent" players with a top 10, you have to hit on guns to compete and do it consistently
"DGB has shown nothing at the level"
I dont know how after 4 years, DGB can be labelled anything but a dud, a couple of games here or there doesnt matter. You say take time but compare to the key position players from that top 10 to see how little he's shown in comparison.

Ward I'll apologise, say there is time to show me up though I still think he'll be a good to ok AFL player with no elite traits.
"DGB has shown something at the level but it doesn't count"

Guess what, it didn't make your post moving any less obvious.

“DGB hasn’t shown any signs at any level”
I show where he has.
“A few games aren’t of importance”

He’s shown his talents, that’s the point. You’re missing it entirely.

Ward will be a very good player and you throw shade again with “no elite traits” laughable.

Hate when people just throw random opinions, calling players duds and spuds and generally shitting on players. People need to realise there are players family’s and I’m sure people apart of the industry all through big footy. It’s just useless and shows where these people sit in their opinions and how valid they are.
Ahh yes, the no one is allowed an opinion on an opinion site because of players families thing. I could like one of your Hawk mates and just back track and be stubborn on all my opinions I guess.

Staggering that DGB being a dud is such a controversial opinion for you guys to be honest. Great that you stand by your players though

That’s just dumb. Ward averaged 20 on a wing in his second season and looked superb, form fluctuates especially early doors, his ability doesn’t go down just because he’s developing parts of his game in the 2s in his third season. Same goes for talls and DGB. Who get more time.
Yes talls get more time. The basketball saying goes that talls get 7 years to show they can't play and smalls get 7 days to show they can play.

Ward is diffrent, he's had a decent senior run and played some good footy - being dropped isn't an issue. DGB on the other hand - there aren't many blokes who are playing regular resrves in their third year who go on to have good careers. I know it goes in the face of what a lot of people say about development - but look into it - the numbers will surprise you. He might become one of the exceptions - there are some, but they are exceptions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yes, the no one is allowed an opinion on an opinion site because of players families thing. I could like one of your Hawk mates and just back track and be stubborn on all my opinions I guess.

Staggering that DGB being a dud is such a controversial opinion for you guys to be honest. Great that you stand by your players though

Wouldn’t go top 25 in a redraft and I was generous with a few line ball calls like Phillips and Reid. The draft inc. rookies was about 70 players deep. Weakest year in memory.

I can’t believe they want praise for picking him at 6, and that they still stand by it as a good decision.

Conman Sam is very good. Hird like.

Honestly if players and or their families are dumb enough to come on here and expect universal praise that's 100% on them.
Not sure any of them do, but they probably don’t expect their sub 25 game kid to the be getting called names either?

Nah that's fair enough as Hawks fans were always very sensitive about Tamblings family and didn't disparage him when the Franklin comparison was made

Ok.

"DGB has shown nothing at the level"

"DGB has shown something at the level but it doesn't count"

Guess what, it didn't make your post moving any less obvious.
It’s quite simple Mrs GB, did I say he’s shown something at the level or did someone one else?

Wouldn’t go top 25 in a redraft and I was generous with a few line ball calls like Phillips and Reid. The draft inc. rookies was about 70 players deep. Weakest year in memory.

I can’t believe they want praise for picking him at 6, and that they still stand by it as a good decision.

Conman Sam is very good. Hird like.

I posted this last year and copped a pile on. Agree.

It’s quite simple Mrs GB, did I say he’s shown something at the level or did someone one else?
Oh so why did you have to clarify? Why didn't you just say "incorrect he's shown nothing?"

I posted this last year and copped a pile on. Agree.
Honestly staggered it can be a controversial opinion, if he turns it around, awesome for him but he’s currently a dud and that’s not exactly a hot take

Oh so why did you have to clarify? Why didn't you just say "incorrect he's shown nothing?"
It’s because as I said, I was giving a slight bone to the argument but to me, one or two ok games (and we’re spruiking a couple of spoils and marks here) is still “showing nothing.”

For example, Ryan Nyhuis kicked 4 goals on debut then did nothing, that is still “showing nothing”

It’s because as I said, I was giving a slight bone to the argument but to me, one or two ok games (and we’re spruiking a couple of spoils and marks here) is still “showing nothing.”

For example, Ryan Nyhuis kicked 4 goals on debut then did nothing, that is still “showing nothing”
I mean if you're going to get bent out of shape about me not quoting you correctly maybe you should take your own advice.

Honestly staggered it can be a controversial opinion, if he turns it around, awesome for him but he’s currently a dud and that’s not exactly a hot take

203cm Max Ramsden as the sub on the weekend?

Subbing off Mabior Chol the only forward that looked like scoring in a winnable game against Essendon

After 4 pre-seasons in charge there is nothing to suggest he is an even okay coach, other than he was a great player which counts for nothing.

15th for average disposals, last for average tackles should be inexcusable. But when you go in with that forward line full of individuals every week it is probably to be expected.

Back