Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great signs for the hawks. Will not be down for long.
The best thing about the back to back wins and particularly the Saints win is that we did so with almost no first picked spine to speak of.
We capitulated most weeks when we didn’t have Sicily and Lewis last year.

Blanck
Sicily
Lewis
Chol

Port at home is going to be a much bigger challenge though.

The best thing about the back to back wins and particularly the Saints win is that we did so with almost no first picked spine to speak of.
We capitulated most weeks when we didn’t have Sicily and Lewis last year.

Blanck
Sicily
Lewis
Chol

Port at home is going to be a much bigger challenge though.

Won 'pretty' one week
Won 'ugly' the next.

This is what excited me the most. The high scoring final quarter of the Dogs game (5.5 to 6.0) wasn't far off the final full time score for the game 6 days later.

The fact we won both with top players missing showed a lot of maturity IMO. Maturity I probably wasn't expecting so soon after the first 5 weeks of this season.

The flow on from trading out omeara. Partly makes up for the trades used to get omeara in

It might be good reading for ‘some’

Hawthorn have been laughed at over the last few trade periods for "giving up good players for peanuts" and trading for "VFL level players" but many of our recent trades seem to be turning out OK.

O'meara for Meek and a 2nd rounder, as mentioned, looks very good early.
That 2nd rounder to upgrade our pick (which was a high price for a pick upgrade) to get Josh Weddle is looking justified early.
Brandon Ryan (who I don't think will play a game for Brisbane) for a 2nd rounder and Jack Gunston (with some late pick swaps) looks a good deal too.
Then using the Brandon Ryan 2nd rounder to get Chol (so Ryan for Chol and Gunston) looks ok early as well.
Massimo D'Ambrosio for a couple of unused end of draft picks looks another very good move.
Jack Ginnivan for a small pick downgrade (33 to 39) and a swap of 2nd rounders (currently 6 places different) looks another good value acquisition.
That's 6 solid trades that I think have all ended up in Hawthorn's favour in the last 2 trade periods.

The only trade that I think has not turned out well is Tom Mitchell for Cooper Stephens and a couple of later picks. I suspect Stephens will be delisted without playing a game. Hustwaite was drafted with one of the picks (the other lost in a mess of swaps) so hopefully he kicks on to balance that out a bit better.

Hawthorn have been laughed at over the last few trade periods for "giving up good players for peanuts" and trading for "VFL level players" but many of our recent trades seem to be turning out OK.

O'meara for Meek and a 2nd rounder, as mentioned, looks very good early.
That 2nd rounder to upgrade our pick (which was a high price for a pick upgrade) to get Josh Weddle is looking justified early.
Brandon Ryan (who I don't think will play a game for Brisbane) for a 2nd rounder and Jack Gunston (with some late pick swaps) looks a good deal too.
Then using the Brandon Ryan 2nd rounder to get Chol (so Ryan for Chol and Gunston) looks ok early as well.
Massimo D'Ambrosio for a couple of unused end of draft picks looks another very good move.
Jack Ginnivan for a small pick downgrade (33 to 39) and a swap of 2nd rounders (currently 6 places different) looks another good value acquisition.
That's 6 solid trades that I think have all ended up in Hawthorn's favour in the last 2 trade periods.

The only trade that I think has not turned out well is Tom Mitchell for Cooper Stephens and a couple of later picks. I suspect Stephens will be delisted without playing a game. Hustwaite was drafted with one of the picks (the other lost in a mess of swaps) so hopefully he kicks on to balance that out a bit better.

Tom Mitchell didn’t cost a lot to acquire and win a Brownlow. It’s ok if cooper can’t get a game. Maybe brought some IP

Hawks have an interesting run to the bye.
Port in Adelaide is a tough ask but the following 4 games are in Melbourne/Tassie. Hawks may not start favorite in any of the games but will have a chance to cause an upset

Brisbane Marvel
Adelaide @MCG
Giants @Launceston
Tigers @MCG

Hawks have an interesting run to the bye.
Port in Adelaide is a tough ask but the following 4 games are in Melbourne/Tassie. Hawks may not start favorite in any of the games but will have a chance to cause an upset

Brisbane Marvel
Adelaide @MCG
Giants @Launceston
Tigers @MCG
You could make a case as a decent winning chance in all 4.
Would start clear favourite against Richmond.
Have a very good record against Brisbane. Perform well in the next 2 weeks and Adelaide at the G is almost 50/50. Giants aren't in great form and we nearly always play well in Launceston

Hope you are watching tonight! After decades of no success and multiple nu 1 picks …….. totally agree 👍
Rebuild no. 7 starting around the same time as Tassie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney finally have the kicking game to take on the 2014 Hawthorn team.

Lets wheel our David Hale and the gang.

Hawks lose, other posters bump this thread.

Hawks win, Hawk posters bump this thread.

It's the circle of BigFooty.
Port in Adelaide.

Fair chance this is getting bumped after they kick the first 6 goals of the game.

I'm surprised no on is talking about the following from champion Data;

People are not talking about it because it comes from CD and they are pretty rubbish statisticians. (I know a person who used to work for them before moving to the defense force to do statistical analysis and he often bashes their methodology)

People are not talking about it because it comes from CD and they are pretty rubbish statisticians. (I know a person who used to work for them before moving to the defense force to do statistical analysis and he often bashes their methodology)
was this before or after they ranked Zac MErret, the currently second player in the coaches votes and second Brownlow favourite as the 70th best player in the comp?

was this before or after they ranked Zac MErret, the currently second player in the coaches votes and second Brownlow favourite as the 70th best player in the comp?

Both. You can look at my previous history as well about bashing CD. They are fine at collecting data but their analysis is useless. The Merrett one was just an absolute mare on their part.

For clubs it is a good source of data but they all use their own statisticians to analyse it.

Sam Mitchell is just a spud coach who over coaches games. The players didn’t lose that one, old Sammy Mitchell did.

Imagine trying to save a game for an entire quarter. Good stuff super coach!

Sam Mitchell is just a spud coach who over coaches games. The players didn’t lose that one, old Sammy Mitchell did.

Imagine trying to save a game for an entire quarter. Good stuff super coach!
This is one of the worst takes ever. 😂

We were 6 seconds off having to hear about how another seasoned coach had a day to forget against the Hawks for the 3rd week running.

Back