Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is and it isn't. I'm more referring to the position and ability to impact games playing that important role, moreso than having the same ability as Gray.

If you have a look at Robbie's career trajectory, he has been just a good player who has shown a lot of promise in the past, but had injury problems slow him down. Last year was his first back after a serious injury and he was only ok, had a good year without being outstanding. This year after another pre-season and 2 years removed from the injury, he has been fully healthy and absolutely used his ability to become one of the best MID / FWD's in the comp. 26 years old, same as Shaun, I don't think it's a ridiculous comparison if we can get Higgins some more continuity and comfortable in that role, that he could have a huge impact for us. It's a good goal to set for himself anyway, we know he has the talent.
I think it takes at least two years of continuity for most players to reach peak conditioning.

I don't have any hard information, but reading the tea leaves of recent statements by Shaun and Macca, my gut tells me Shaun will stay. I'm with you Doggies...if Shaun really wants to stay I hope that he and the club can get it done.

Mine, too.

I remember when GCS, I think, were keen on him.

He ignored their offer and stayed with us.

Why would he go now, when he had the chance to leave for fairly big money then?

Just my thoughts.

SHAUN Higgins remains locked in negotiations with the Western Bulldogs, with his manager insisting the free agent doesn’t want to leave the kennel.

Higgins had put off talks with the Dogs until the end of the season, sparking strong speculation he wanted a fresh start after nine mostly injury-hit seasons.

There had been reports Higgins had already decided to leave the Dogs, but his manager, Bruce Kaider of One Management, said he wasn’t set on departing.

“That would be incorrect. There’s obviously speculation, he’s weighing up his options at the moment, but it’s still very early for us in the process. It would be too early for us to say what he’s going to do,” Kaider said.

“We’re in dialogue with the Western Bulldogs at the moment and we’re going to continue to talk and negotiate with them. There’s no time frame.”

A number of clubs have been linked to the 26-year-old, who played 20 games this year, but Higgins is currently dealing exclusively with the Bulldogs.

He finished 16th in the best and fairest and was dropped, but importantly his body stayed sound.

“There’s obviously interest, there’s been interest all year. But we’ve stuck to our position, which is to give the Western Bulldogs the opportunity to negotiate with us and talk to us and work through a possible deal and go from there,” Kaider said.

“What people have lost in all of this was that he came back from a really serious injury the previous year. We just wanted him to get through a full season, which he hasn’t done for a long time. That was the No.1 priority.”

The Dogs are also optimistic Higgins will stay put.

“I’m not going to go into detail but we continue having discussions with Shaun and I’m certainly hopeful that we can figure something out,” Dogs chief executive Simon Garlick told SEN.

“Shaun has been a really good Bulldogs person, a fantastic person, fantastic family, been cruelled by injury.”

Mine, too.

I remember when GCS, I think, were keen on him.

He ignored their offer and stayed with us.

Why would he go now, when he had the chance to leave for fairly big money then?

Just my thoughts.

But what if we are offering a lot less money, possibly to give him a little push.
Pretty sure he owes the club more than it owes him.

I hope he stays and builds on what has been a good year with no injuries. It is also not a good look to the kids if a player like Higgins leaves for more money. We want to grow loyalty and mate ship at the club.

I guess I'm not fussed either way, if he stays I hope he plays forward pushing into the middle because we need class around goals and to get game time into JJ and Darley. If he goes hope like hell we get pick 19 and use it to get Jaksh or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back