Toast HOF (Anthony Stevens) and Legend (Malcolm Blight). Congrats to two North greats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you like to stay at my place

Don't do it Dirty..

WAKE-IN-FRIGHT-Silver-Ferox-Design-WEB-1024x768.jpg

As a young kid in the 1980s, I can't really remember Blight playing, but I do remember the poster my dad got me and wish I still had it. Of all the crap I've kept since childhood, the poster stands out as the one that got away. Dad still goes on about Blight like he only finished playing yesterday.

When Gold Coast knocked off a very average North at Etihad a few years back, my brother and I sank a few in the social club afterwards until last drinks. As we leaving we saw Blight on his way out of the empty stadium and asked him what he thought of North on the day. His face screwed up as he told us what he really thought of the "effort" the team put in. You could tell he still cared and the performance pissed him off.

The other Blight story for me was the 96 Grand Final Parade, when the lady behind me was telling the people next to her Malcolm Blight had picked her up in a limo and taken her as a +1 to the Brownlow. It was Judy Francis, so I figure the guy still bleeds Blue and White somewhere deep in there!

As for Stevo, what a star. Back in 1998 fresh off his second Brownlow someone involved with St Kilda was able to get Robert Harvey to come down and play kick to kick with some kids at the charity I worked part time for. One of the kids asked Harvey who his toughest opponent was, not missing a beat Harvey said "Anthony Stevens". High praise indeed.

Brad and the coaching staff usually have a few minutes with the players in the theatrette once the onfield warmup's done. If I were them I'd play extended highlights of Stevo's career followed by exerpts from his HoF speech with the quotes other stars have made in reference to Stevo's win.

He epitomises everything good the priviledged few who represent our club strive to be.

If I were a player I'd watch that and proceed to run straight through enough Dogs to quickly earn the nickname "The Shashlik".

I loved Stevo as a player but Schwass was a superior footballer.

Stevo himself would agree with that without hesitation, being the no bullshit humble bloke that he is.

The debatable aspect of the comparison is who had the greater output on a consistent basis.

Stevo himself would agree with that without hesitation, being the no bullshit humble bloke that he is.

The debatable aspect of the comparison is who had the greater output on a consistent basis.
When Carey left, as disappointing as the whole fiasco was, I remember noting publicly (Inside Football) that, in response to the "No Carey, No North" claims, that our winning percentage was higher with Stevo in the side. 1%ers galore.

There is a photo somewhere in The Football Record Yearbook or something of Stevo just before the centre bounce in the 1999 Grand Final. He's got hand on the shoulder of a confused looking North Melbourne mascot, as the young lad was lost and in the MCG on it's biggest day, couldn't work out where to run off to. Stevo is pointing him to where he needs to go to get off the ground. In a minute or two he would turn it on, in one of the biggest games of his career but not before he helped that young lad off the arena. It seems up the bloke in a simple picture, true competitor but treated everyone with respect.
I am old enough to have seen Malcolm Blight play and frankly for those who couldn't remember him, there is just one word to describe him, a freak.. Barassi once dragged him at Arden St for kicking a banana goal on the boundary instead of centering it. Barassi said he was going to pressure him at training for 20 times to see how many times he could repeat it. After 10 times he was 4.6 with a couple of posters, Barassi walked off in disgust, Blight asked about the next 10 and Barassi said something like "forget it your a freak".
Every side in their team of the century had one line that you look at and just salivate, for North it was the half forward line of Schimmelbusch-Carey-Blight. Three of the best footballers I have ever seen pull on blue and white stripes.

Love Stevens, I think that game against Port was the first time I really saw the game as transcending sport.

As for Blight... like most on here I remember him as a coach and not as a player... so I hates him!!!! 98 still gives me nightmares ;)
Kidding of course. (Sort of)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back