How did the West Indies develop such a dominant team? | Page 4 | BigFooty

How did the West Indies develop such a dominant team?

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by philohk, Dec 29, 2017.

1. SleazySimon

SleazySimon Club Legend

Geelong
    They probably offered him uk citizenship. Has happened with athletes from poorer countries in olympic sports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Tyberious Funk

Tyberious Funk Club Legend

West Coast
    He's half-British so he's already eligible for citizenship.

It's a bit different with Olympic sports, because there is typically not a lot of money in them unless you live in a wealthy country. But in Archer's case, he can easily make a mint playing T20 cricket while maintaining his West Indian eligibility, and playing Test cricket for them.

Trying to qualify for England is a risk, because he could get injured, lose form or whatever... and end up not playing a single Test for them. Whereas he could be playing for the Windies right now.

IMHO, it's a big statement about the ability of West Indies cricket to develop and retain talent.

3. Hellgood

Hellgood Cancelled

Port Adelaide
    As an unproven but talented young cricketer, the lure of a secure, longish term county deal is very appealing and a pretty sensible move for your development.

footyfan78 likes this.
  4. footyfan78

footyfan78 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    there are no other teams worthy
    I thought Gordon Greenidge was brought up on County Cricket but played for West Indies.

5. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    He moved to England at 14, I remember either just before or just after he retired, Clive Lloyd qualified to play for England be residence.

6. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Why did Graeme Hack not play for Zimbabwe. Thought they had a cricket team when he was still around?

7. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    They didn't play Test cricket until the early 90s. One of guys who played in the first Test for Zim was John Traicos who'd also played for South Africa against Lawry's Australians in the last series before they were exiled.

8. The_Reaper

The_Reaper Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    East Fremantle
    Gordon Greenidge was an overseas import. Archer is playing through his fathers passport and his contract was conditional for pledging allegiance to England.

Steve Smith was offered the same but declined.

9. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Greenidge played county cricket before he played in West Indies domestic (moved to England when he was 12). If I'm remembering Fire in Babylon correctly he hated his time in England due to racism he experienced, which was the main reason he decided to play for the Windies instead of pursuing an English career.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  10. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    It is easy to forget what a great player Greenidge was - genuinely brutal when going. I have a uk mate who played at Hampshire who reckons watching Barry Richards & Greenidge was the best opening combination of all time.

WireHawk, footyfan78 and Lebbo73 like this.
  11. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    I wish I had been old enough to watch greenidge and Haynes at their peak. The only time I watched greenidge was sneaking out of bed as a 7 year old in 1991, and I watched Haynes playing in the 92-93 tour as a moderately capable but past it opener.

From what I’ve read there is a lot of yin yang about them. All the numbers support Gordon as being the superior player and the dominant, driving force, but a lot of people who watched a hell of a lot of west indies cricket reckon Haynes was the Steve to Gordon’s Mark (averages aside) if that makes sense. Haynes had a tremendous ability to make dirty runs when they really mattered.

All that said, to play some of the big knocks Greenidge did - particularly his double tonne chasing 300+ in England - he was obviously absolutely elite

Redline likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. t_94

t_94 Club Legend

St Kilda
    Mark Nicholas had an excellent part about Gordon Greenidge is his book. Exceptional player and complicated person according to him.

13. JimDocker

JimDocker Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
    Merv Hughes said Gordon Greenidge was one of the opponents he just did not get along with. He was told by his skipper to go and apologise to Greenidge after an on field altercation one day.

He took a beer into the WI changerooms and said "Sorry Gordon"
    Greenidge replied "You don't mean that do you ?"
    "No" and walked out.
    (Something like that)

Since retirement, they have worked together at lots of functions or media commitments and get on really well.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.
  14. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Cuthbert could be a grumpy bastard. God, he could play though. Those cut shots were awesome to watch.

western royboy likes this.
  15. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    I preferred the front foot pull but both were brutal

footyfan78 likes this.
  16. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    Once Australia started to become competitive again against the West Indies some of those series got really firey. Those series, home and away from 88 to 95 are still some of the hardest cricket I've ever seen.

JimDocker likes this.
  17. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    I think Merv tapped into the grumpy part of Cuthbert and chipped away at it.

18. footyfan78

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    1991 was off the charts firey. More shit went down that series than ever I seen, including the recent South Africa one, just the RSA had a couple of incidents where a few dickheads like Warner, de Kock and Rabada sent it out of control, totally. If Warner not there, that shit not happen.

19. JimDocker

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Some of the best cricket I have ever seen.

Gough and footyfan78 like this.
  20. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    Bobby Simpson is not our cup of tea.
    That was the Calypso Capers tour as well.

21. IKnowtheDog

IKnowtheDog Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Seattle Seahawks
    Two memories of 91 I have

- the infamous Dean Jones run out
    - Richardson scoring a hundred, fans rush th pitch to congratulate him, many of them shoving cash into his gloves and pockets.

The Hughes Greenidge blow up occurred in that Perth test when Lawson got felled and Hughes took his hat trick with Greenidge his third victim.

22. JimDocker

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    I remember from those days the incredible batting of Richardson and Mark Waugh. There was some other terrific performances, but those stand out to me.

I was there at the WACA when Hughes took 8 against the Windies, but don't think that is when he got a hat trick ?

23. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    That was my first summer as a SACA member and I remember Deano getting 200 hundred and Merv seventy odd which was crowned by him dispatching Courtney Walsh over the Vic's last ball before tea. The place exploded.

IKnowtheDog and JimDocker like this.
  24. JimDocker

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Hughes was such good entertainment. So was Dean Jones for that matter.

25. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    The first half of that series was diabolical for us although it was probably the first time Steve Waugh mad his mark on Test cricket with those 90s in Brisbane and Perth. But with hindsight and the selection of Mark Taylor you can start to see the bones of that really good Border side come together in the last two Tests.