How did the West Indies develop such a dominant team? | Page 5 | BigFooty

How did the West Indies develop such a dominant team?

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by philohk, Dec 29, 2017.

1. WireHawk

WireHawk Senior List

Hawthorn
    I watched Greenidge batting for Hampshire on TV when I lived in London. The game was played in a rural setting, I can't remember who the other team was, and Greenidge hit ten sixes in his innings. The ball was soaring out into the area behind the ground and I remember being worried for the poor cows grazing in the field.

He was a brutal hitter of the ball. Fantastic to watch.

western royboy likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Greenidge was still cranking out big runs right to the end as well. Averaged mid-40s or higher in 6 of his last 9 series

3. JimDocker

JimDocker Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
    Haynes was the best hooker and puller I had seen until Ricky Ponting. Always in control of the shot.

4. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
    Not many mentions of Larry Gomes, he was an underrated West Indian batsman from that era, he was like a West Indian Border with a touch more class.

Like Viv Richards he never bothered wearing a helmet and even if he copped one to the melon he just kept on going.

One of the things that made that West Indies team so dominant was having a solid middle order of Gomes and Dujon that could bail them out if their powerful top order failed or help pile on the runs if they fired.

5. the_interloper

the_interloper Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    I hung shit on Deano on that recently, he was talking about it on Twitter and I reminded him of Merv's 70 and how he got him to the 200. Was hoping he'd crack the sads but he took it well!

6. Damon_3388

Damon_3388 Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red WIngs
    It's probably like any migrant really - Has the opportunity for a better quality of life away from his homeland, hence the move.