How much more are we willing to accept from the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too much more.

Watched the state of origin the other night for the first time in years and did not feel cheap.
Go the marones.
Can't stand watching the footy show anymore, afl puppets like most media.

A. Vladimettrio.
Let go of it before you stuff the game completely

Not sure if it has been said but:

ANDREW DEMERIOU ARE YOU SERIOUSLY OVERSEAS ON ANOTHER ******* HOLIDAY????????????

Our great competition is becoming a joke. The way they have handled tanking and this terrible banned supplement disaster is shameful.

Why am I agreeing with you so often lately?

The AFL needs action so our agreements can stop.

I've toyed with the idea of getting Fox, on the basis of watching the footy, having just moved out with 2 friends but I decided against it. I realised that half the time I sit down on a Sunday hungover with nothing to do excited by the prospect of a footy game. However after a 1/4 in nearly every week I decide it's s**t and not worth watching so abandon it. As long as I can watch the Crows I'm happy.

I've been watching an increasing amount of SANFL, live and on TV including neutral games (Norwood supporter) and it is a far more enjoyable competition to watch in my opinion. I feel the results of games are less 'manufactured' . Clubs have to recruit carefully, scour the country leagues, work around salary caps etc to build a great squad. They have junior zones and no absurd draft that nearly guarantees a premiership every 20 odd years.

Watching the GWS and GC is just rubbish. It really angers me that they have entered the AFL. Why? They are such fake teams. The worst thing is, the AFL has purchased them a nearly guaranteed premiership in 4-8 years. Why do we have to be so hell bent on eradicating the NRL? The NRL hasn't come hard for us, why not enable two codes to happily exist? One team in Sydney and One team in Brisbane is perfect.

I also feel that teams in WA and SA away from the focus of expansion and the hub of Vic get it very hard under the AFL compared to the other sides. Regardless of your opinions on the Tippet saga the Crows have been raped by the AFL. We have been for years, losing home finals for AFL $$$, having the best recruiter in the game sacked because of an image crisis, having a crucial coach suspended because Melbourne decided to tank. The Tippet 3rd party deals were nowhere near as sinister as they were made out to be. Not to mention we have lost Bock and Davis to expansion teams, if we didn't have such a star in Ben Rutten it would have absolutely crippled the club losing those quality tall defenders in the back half.

I'd honestly favour a strong SANFL and WAFL and split the game into states. Then we can play a carnival between the top sides every year (as they used to).

I'm very happy that a side like Geelong has so magnificently resisted AFL pressures and poaching, recovered from Ablett and had an era of dominance with some classy, fair and strong players. I think if not for Geelong I'd have given up years ago.

Another thing that annoys me is the treatment of TAS, I'm only ever been there once on a holiday, but why don't they get given a side ahead of Gold Coast or GWS. They can play in a boutique stadium and recoup amounts through a nice stadium deal. They dont need a 50,000 membership base. TAS is a football heartland and should be looked after way before GWS or Gold Coast. A tassie team would be less plastic than the all red Ablett outfit that struts around today. Honestly imagine that side without Ablett. CRINGE!

This opinion that we could boo Jobe is absurd as well. I'm a big fan of Jobe and personally wouldn't boo him, but he admitted to taking a banned substance, why does he deserve to be protected and worshipped for it? He hasn't complained about the booing, why should the commentators be whining away. It make West Coast look ridiculous in the eyes of the nation when they were just barracking and stirring an opposition player. Credit to Job he copped it on the chin and played very well.

One real problem the AFL will face now and maybe for a long time is the fact that 75% of the matches every week are forgone conclusions , unless you see Geelong and Sydney go to sleep after a bye.
That won't happen very often though.
But diluting the competition so we have not just the two new babies of the comp losingn all the time but generally Melbourne,StKilda and Footscray as well as poor old North who are either unlucky or just no good.
Under the present AFL hierarchy 's watch our game which is brilliant at the top is very ordinary in the middle and crap at the bottom. That is not a very good future to look forward to and even now there is talk of more clubs.
We've all gone mad.

One real problem the AFL will face now and maybe for a long time is the fact that 75% of the matches every week are forgone conclusions , unless you see Geelong and Sydney go to sleep after a bye.
But diluting the competition so we have not just the two new babies of the comp losingn all the time but generally Melbourne,StKilda and Footscray as well as poor old North who are either unlucky or just no good.
Under the present AFL hierarchy 's watch our game which is brilliant at the top is very ordinary in the middle and crap at the bottom. That is not a very good future to look forward to and even now there is talk of more clubs.
We've all gone mad.
That true of most major sports.

Despite all the problems listed thus far, I'd still rather this current administration running the AFL than that of any other major sporting code in Australia right now. I think a lot of the problems relate to Demetriou and co having the AFL surging so far ahead of rival football codes has made them complacent with their successes (especially since the financial windfall of the latest TV rights deal).
Without a rival code constantly challenging them, the AFL have taken their eye off the ball in recent times. Might be time for a shake-up at the top.

That true of most major sports.

Yes maybe , but we have 18 teams in a small population with a type of game that is extremely difficult to play at top level, and especially to learn to play.
There will be more floggings, and it is no good for the comp.We really need only 14 clubs.
Imagine the skill pool, 4 more teams lists worth to pick from. Expansion is about money nothing more.
Now we hear footy fanatics saying that they are walking out of TV watched games because the end is already known and the standard is low. Plus the commentators are w***ers most of the time.
Do we really want that to go on into the future . I don't .

We've all gone mad.

Here Here

I think one of the biggest problems with the AFL right now is over saturation. Too many games, too many newpaper articles, too many TV shows, too many teams since the introduction of the shiny new plastic franchises which has lead to too many thrashings/non-event games. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but if you want to compare it to wrestling (which it has been in this thread) then you get the other problem with the product. All these "media personalities" are horrible cliches. To compare to WWE, the AFL has gone "PG". All these personalities talk the same bullshit week after week, they never give an opinion on anything that doesn't sound plastic and fake, and meanwhile you've got idiots like Kevin Bartlett and his rules committee who are overcomplicating everything for the sake of overcomplicating everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say we let the AFL know and boo away. Let's see how long the AFL can keep quiet if Essendon is booed wherever they go.

I think one of the biggest problems with the AFL right now is over saturation. Too many games, too many newpaper articles, too many TV shows, too many teams since the introduction of the shiny new plastic franchises which has lead to too many thrashings/non-event games. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but if you want to compare it to wrestling (which it has been in this thread) then you get the other problem with the product. All these "media personalities" are horrible cliches. To compare to WWE, the AFL has gone "PG". All these personalities talk the same bullshit week after week, they never give an opinion on anything that doesn't sound plastic and fake, and meanwhile you've got idiots like Kevin Bartlett and his rules committee who are overcomplicating everything for the sake of overcomplicating everything.

Well said and all true.

Only 3 years ago I wa watching 5 games a week it has no reduced to WCE games to be fair I've only watched 2 west coast games from start to finish.

I feel we are watching a fake fabricated game 2 games this year with the eagles involved I truely believed they were matched fixed the proof is in the final 10mins, thanks betting.

The day the ABC tv network increases their coverage of VFL, WAFL & SANFL into a national broadcast (say the 2 best games from each league each weekend) is the day AFL will never be watched again in my house. Surely it wouldn't cost the ABC much to broadcast these into other states??

I'd rather watch the games in the 3 main AFL state leagues than the plastic rubbish served up by Vlad.

The day the ABC tv network increases their coverage of VFL, WAFL & SANFL into a national broadcast (say the 2 best games from each league each weekend) is the day AFL will never be watched again in my house. Surely it would cost the ABC much to broadcast these into other states??

I'd rather watch the games in the 3 main AFL state leagues than the plastic rubbish served up by Vlad.

The game is legit at least.

The day the ABC tv network increases their coverage of VFL, WAFL & SANFL into a national broadcast (say the 2 best games from each league each weekend) is the day AFL will never be watched again in my house. Surely it would cost the ABC much to broadcast these into other states??

You are definitely onto something there. I am amazed at how many young blokes over here prefer to go and watch the WAFL and it is slowly increasing. Teach the AFL a lesson I say.

you can always support a different sport if the AFL is so awful for you :rolleyes:

This, serious!

Don't only watch AFL, you'll die of frustration, watch a bit of rugby and/or soccer. It's really refreshing after having to endure all the shitty baggage that comes with the AFL week in week out.

My life has become significantly better since I started only watching Richmond games each week as opposed to 2-3 matches each week. I also block out any AFL related news during the week because I know it'll be about contracts, the umpires being s**t, drugs or demetriou being a twat.

This, serious!

Don't only watch AFL, you'll die of frustration, watch a bit of rugby and/or soccer. It's really refreshing after having to endure all the shitty baggage that comes with the AFL week in week out.

My life has become significantly better since I started only watching Richmond games each week as opposed to 2-3 matches each week. I also block out any AFL related news during the week because I know it'll be about contracts, the umpires being s**t, drugs or demetriou being a twat.

But the sport is great.

It's just that the administration is so horrible.

I think one of the biggest problems with the AFL right now is over saturation. Too many games, too many newpaper articles, too many TV shows, too many teams since the introduction of the shiny new plastic franchises which has lead to too many thrashings/non-event games.

I think many are suffering a bout of mid-season footy overload. This time of year it's good to take a sabbatical from the media in particular. Stop watching the TV shows and reading the papers/online stores for a few weeks. Justr watch your teams games only. I think the AFL should have its bye with no footy for a weekend. Give everyone including us fans a chance to freshen up for the rest of the year.

Just move to Qld. Not only is the winter weather great, but the AFL coverage is restricted to news reports on the Lions and Suns, all relegated to second spot by the Broncos. You'll get your cravings back before you know it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back