How will history remember Selwood & Pendlebury?

Remove this Banner Ad

The technique he uses to play football, which has been very successful for him, happens to cause the umpires to award him free kicks.

The key question here is - if the rules changed again somehow and he stopped getting free kicks, would he play any differently?

The answer is clearly no, as we have seen through rule changes several times already. He plays football the way he does and it works. Not really interested in what you think his motivation is.

I've been asked many times my mates when discussing footy, who is the one player from another club you would take at Richmond. Just one player.
Without hesitation, every time my answer has been Joel Selwood. His leadership qualities are what we have lacked for a long time. They way he wills his teammates over the line time and again is astonishing.
Ironically, Pendlebury would be right up there in my list as well.

Progress! Fantastic!

Joel Selwood admits he plays for frees, and now some Geelong supporters are willing to admit it too.
Haha-let go your bitterness and enjoy watching a remarkable footballer. You will be amazed how good he is in every way when you grow up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike you I did and again unlike you I could just quote the entire article and not edit it down to suit an ignorant agenda.
My carer is asking me to explain what this means; unfortunately I'm not able to. Care to have another go?

enjoy watching a remarkable footballer

I appreciate his quality, as I appreciated Matthew Lloyd's. It is a shame they tarnish(ed) the show by playing to the umpires so much.

Both players will be remembered as great players of their generation, both perform on the big stage and have been consistent over a long period of time, both captains, both premiership players, both multiple B&F winners, all australian.

In saying that though, both are very different players, put a brick wall in front of Selwood and he probably just busts right through it and continues on his way with a bandage around his head. Put one in front of Pendles and he probably stands still, feigns a handball and waits for the wall to move out of his way before waltzing through.

Good example of what makes our game great, two guys who play essentially the same position in very different ways in the same era but both have proven very effective.

He plays for frees, even he admits it. Why can't Geelong supporters too?
If that was the case explain why he seldom stops when the whistle is blown? A footballer playing for frees will stop and take his kick; Joel Selwood has well and truly played on. Getting a free is just incidental to his mantra. Now if we wanted to focus on a player who has tried to emulate Selwood who definitely stops for the free, look no further than Puopollo

If that was the case explain why he seldom stops when the whistle is blown? A footballer playing for frees will stop and take his kick; Joel Selwood has well and truly played on. Getting a free is just incidental to his mantra. Now if we wanted to focus on a player who has tried to emulate Selwood who definitely stops for the free, look no further than Puopollo
You continue playing to gain the advantage over other players that have stopped for the whistle...

I've been asked many times my mates when discussing footy, who is the one player from another club you would take at Richmond. Just one player.
Without hesitation, every time my answer has been Joel Selwood. His leadership qualities are what we have lacked for a long time. They way he wills his teammates over the line time and again is astonishing.
That's more a coincidence than irony.

That's more a coincidence than irony.
Ironically the use of "ironically" is the definition of irony in this case.

Both players will be remembered as great players of their generation, both perform on the big stage and have been consistent over a long period of time, both captains, both premiership players, both multiple B&F winners, all australian.

In saying that though, both are very different players, put a brick wall in front of Selwood and he probably just busts right through it and continues on his way with a bandage around his head. Put one in front of Pendles and he probably stands still, feigns a handball and waits for the wall to move out of his way before waltzing through.

Good example of what makes our game great, two guys who play essentially the same position in very different ways in the same era but both have proven very effective.
Great description.

You continue playing to gain the advantage over other players that have stopped for the whistle...
You honestly believe Selwood would be thinking, "I'll play on while everyone around me stops for the whistle"? This isn't little league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back