Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest, Cam decided it was going to be a hot day and he'd prefer to be sitting back in the shade - go down like you've been shot, but then gingerly walk off seems a good way to not spend extra time running around in the heat šŸ˜Ž

Very surprised at the pessimism here. An even run with injuries and we make the 8 in a canter. This team is not that different to the one that won a flag 18 months ago but was cruelled by injuries last year.
Very different. No Selwood, no Smith, 2 seasons older and relatively less hunger. Our 22 B&F missed most of 23, and will miss some more games early 24. Perhaps the hunger/embarrassment of 23 will spur many of them to achieve more this year, but everything needs to go well regarding injuries, and that factor as you suggest is huge.

Lol, it was a quad mate, and he walked off the field - so I'd be surprised if he's not back by Round 3-6. 3 months is nuts.
I said 12 weeks from the day of injury, so about rd 8. 12 weeks is standard for a bad quads tear. Do we even know it was a quad and not a groin?

Very different. No Selwood, no Smith, 2 seasons older and relatively less hunger. Our 22 B&F missed most of 23, and will miss some more games early 24. Perhaps the hunger/embarrassment of 23 will spur many of them to achieve more this year, but everything needs to go well regarding injuries, and that factor as you suggest is huge.
Well Iā€™m not surprised at your pessimism mate! :D

Iā€™m so on the fence about this season and itā€™s actually making it very interesting for me.

I usually have a solid grasp over my expectations for our team.

This yearā€¦ It could go either way.

On one hand I can see that this team will still mostly consist of experienced players that won a GF by 80+ points 18 months ago and with a solid preseason I could still see us being in the mix.

On the other hand Iā€™m still not convinced the kids are ready to have a big impact and our most important players are obviously pretty old.
Guthrie already hurt 5 seconds into the first hit out and we are an aging Dangerfield injury away from having a midfield that most teams should have covered easily (like last year).

Could go either way IMO but Iā€™m here for the ride.

I canā€™t confidently say I have a read on this upcoming season like I have in the past.

Something the doesnā€™t get mentioned is the importance of the coaches coming up with a game plan that gives us some kind of an advantage over others.

3898daffbd796374e42176d3e4f63e56.jpeg

The club King is putting a line through for finals in 2024 | https://bit.ly/42NYWo2 | #AFL

Not pessimistic about us this year, but don't pretend we are that similar to 22. Top 4 to bottom 4 is a definite reality.
I'm not sure how the same 23 less 2 players plus multiple first/second round picks in 20-22 age range is dissimilar to 2022

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect dubs, you took until August to rate our 2022 side, and even then you kept it conservative.

You can't really turn around now and say "Nah, we were great then, and I'm not seeing it now" - You didn't see it then either, even when it was blindingly obvious that we were the best side by a mile.

Nahhh it was just precautionary šŸ™„
F******************!
On the brightside, at least we know it's bad. The worst ones are what Guthrie had last year.

Supposedly 'managed' and then was never seen again.

While 8-10 weeks is a bitter pill, I'd prefer that over 1-2 weeks that inevitably turns into 10-12.

Iā€™m so on the fence about this season and itā€™s actually making it very interesting for me.

I usually have a solid grasp over my expectations for our team.

This yearā€¦ It could go either way.

On one hand I can see that this team will still mostly consist of experienced players that won a GF by 80+ points 18 months ago and with a solid preseason I could still see us being in the mix.

On the other hand Iā€™m still not convinced the kids are ready to have a big impact and our most important players are obviously pretty old.
Guthrie already hurt 5 seconds into the first hit out and we are an aging Dangerfield injury away from having a midfield that most teams should have covered easily (like last year).

Could go either way IMO but Iā€™m here for the ride.

I canā€™t confidently say I have a read on this upcoming season like I have in the past.

Something the doesnā€™t get mentioned is the importance of the coaches coming up with a game plan that gives us some kind of an advantage over others.
I see us as a 6th - 10th sort of side
R1 v Saints for some reason I'm quite confident about

I see us as a 6th - 10th sort of side
R1 v Saints for some reason I'm quite confident about
My attitude will change real fast from being on the fence to thinking it could be a long season if we get done at home R1 to the Aints.

Usually I donā€™t put too much expectations on needing to win R1ā€¦ but I think this particular game will be a big indicator on where we might be at.

Lol, it was a quad mate, and he walked off the field - so I'd be surprised if he's not back by Round 3-6. 3 months is nuts.
VD is pretty good regarding injury discussion - just saying.

That said, VD wasn't there and hasn't got all the info - but having seen the way Guth went down at the time, it didnt look like a "walk it off "type of injury to me either.

GO Catters

My attitude will change real fast from being on the fence to thinking it could be a long season if we get done at home R1 to the Aints.

Usually I donā€™t put too much expectations on needing to win R1ā€¦ but I think this particular game will be a big indicator on where we might be at.
Agree
I live close to Moorabbin and went along yesterday to see their hit out v Essendon
They looked pretty sharp has to be said

So the biggest difference between last year and this year isnā€™t going to happen at least in the first part of the season with Guthrie going down. Iā€™m trying to stay positive but he is one of the top 3 players we didnā€™t need to get injured after Cameron and Stewart.

The worry stems from the fact that despite missing a significant number of games last year and undergoing extensive rehabilitation, he couldn't endure even a minute in this week's game. Understandably, this situation does little to instil confidence.

I think Geelong will need more midfield support however:.
  • Bruhn looked sharp and I think can be that bull.
  • Bowes will add class. Very tidy player with great disposal
  • Mannagh will by top 22 from the first game
  • Wiltshire will surprise many this year and has great run and carry

Iff Danger and Cameron stay fit the top 8 is a certainty.

Back